Trip Report: San Pedro, Ambergris Caye/Belize Nov 10-17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Em_Dee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just returned from a wonderful week spent in San Pedro, AC with my husband and another dive buddy of ours. This was not the first time here for any of us, but it was definitely the best ever.

We stayed at the Mayan Princess. We will use them again but next time will request to not be on the side next to Fido’s, who usually has a live band going on any given night, it wasn’t bad enough to request a room change though. Most of the noise came from pedestrians walking right by the building; it is a major beach access there. We loved the big beachfront porches for relaxing and drying out clothes and gear.

We used Amigos Del Mar, the dock right off of our hotel. They were well recommended by several people on this board and I can see why. It is a well run op with a great staff.
They had just lost their biggest boat to a fire a few weeks prior to our arrival and they didn’t seem to miss a beat. The dive sites were Devil’s Throat, San Pedro Canyon, Esmeralda’s Canyon, Tackle box, Pillar Canyon. We went to the well-named Eagle Ray Canyon, where we saw so many spotted eagle rays we had to quit signaling to each other. We only had one dive where we didn’t see a turtle or two. There were plenty of nurse sharks and grouper on most dives. We logged 11 dives for the week, including the Blue Hole trip.

The Lighthouse Reef/Blue Hole trip was a 3 tank all day trip and well worth it. You definitely need to be dedicated to diving in order to be at the dock by 5:30am, retuning around 5pm. We had 13 divers and 3 crew members and were quite comfortable, the 2 and half hour trip there and back really didn’t seem so long.

We all absolutely loved the Blue Hole dive, the stalactites and sharks were amazing and the 2 following dives were fantastic. We had a surface interval and a good lunch at Half Moon Caye. We would do it again.

The town has grown, but has kept its non-commercial charm. There are so many good places to eat. We liked Lily’s (for breakfast) and Celi’s. Our absolute favorite was El Patio; we ended up going there a couple of more times. Jambel was good and so are the various taco stands around town. We also went to Waraguma’s for a HUGE lobster or shrimp burrito; it was quite a good deal. You can eat really good cheap food in SP if you wanted to.

We also went to place whose name we are not sure of, it has a sign out front for Cuban Coffee, and it is on Front Street facing the “town square” area on the beach. A nice guy named Pedro runs the place and he will make you the best Mojito ever. When you order a Mojito, he walks out the back door and comes back with a handful of freshly picked mint leaves from his backyard. We stopped by every night for one of these. When the last day of diving was complete, we stayed for more than one. I wouldn’t advise anyone order more than 3 of these!:no

Overall, this trip was hands down our best dive trip so far. The hotel, dive op, restaurants and phenomenal diving all came together for a great week. We were heart broken when it came time to leave. Will definitely be going back someday.

One story that I love about Blue Hole is that when Cousteau first filmed there he dynamited a channel through the reef so that the aerial view of the Calypso would be much more dramatic. True story, know one of the crew members who was there.

great trip report, Glad you had a good time in San Pedro.
We look forward to seeing you and all your friends again.

Great trip report!
I spent a week there in March & dove many of the same dives with Amigos del Mar.
Your report brings back mang good memories of the trip. I can't wait to go back.

BTW: did you bring me a bottle of One Barrel? :)

Back
Top Bottom