Trip Report Musandam October 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelan-pelan

Contributor
Reaction score
Would we go back? Yes

Dived with the Brown Dhow, Al Marsa, Musandam. Boat is simple but very clean. Everything works - air con, hot water showers en suite. Shower/WC very small room - but no problem - just remove the toilet paper because everything gets wet. Loos cleaned every day. Floors mopped at least once a day so no slippery puddles outside the loo. Cabins are compact, recommend 1 and 2 up in the bow as being quite spacious at eye height but narrowing at floor level due to shape of boat. Stunning views from the boat of bare crags. The night sky was glorious.

Crew - cheerful, efficient, speak English, mostly Indian or Phillipino. Food is Omani/Asian, delicious. If it is too spicy, just ask the chef. Vegetarian? No problem. The crew fish in the evening so fresh fish, different sorts, every day. There is fruit on the table. Always cold drinking water, hot water for coffee/tea etc and biscuits. The ice maker works.

Diving - careful briefing with map. Backward roll from the skiff. Always help with the gear and getting up the ladder back on the boat. Skiff always there for pick up. The crew change the tanks on skiff between dives. Bottles of water on the skiff. Back to the dhow for meal.

Fish - large and not shy. The banner fish were the biggest and boldest we've ever seen and they swim up to you. Healthy reef, bright yellow and purple whip coral, lots of eels. Lots of reef fish, nudis, unusual crabs, and the biggest seahorse - at leas a foot tall, barracuda, trevally, large shoals of huge batfish, rays etc. We hit full moon which gave current and poor vis. But we did see mobula rays and a hint of shark. Thermoclines - ouch! Best memory - a moray completely out of its hole, lying out in a warm thermocline, mouth gaping, whilst cleaner wrasse went about their business. Healthy, thriving reef.

Arrangements - fly into Dubai and then drive to Dibba, probably at night. You may have to wait for other flights to come in which can be a bit of a bore. Trying to find anything edible among the E numbers and chemicals in the shop is impossible. The packaging is probably better than the contents. The border crossing can be difficult. They are looking for alcohol and will confiscate all bottles and cans regardless of contents. After all a bottle of water is probably vodka. They may also confiscate electrical goods - so take as little as possible and make sure everything is backed up, deleted etc. Other stuff may also go. You can't argue, so just prepare. We arrived on the boat in the early hours of the morning. Getting us onto the boat and into cabins was dealt with in a welcoming, sympathetic and efficient way.

Tips - do some Googling to avoid full moon; prepare for wait at Dubai airport - have own snacks to hand; take your own hair shampoo and conditioner.

looks like you had a very interesting trip...thanks for sharing your report....waiting for photos when available....

I have to say, having lived in FUJ UAE, so very close to Dibba and Mussandum, and having made the crossing many times, I think you've misrepresented the crossing.

This border is a little odd. It's not a proper border immigration post, but a checkpoint. As such, you can visit Mussandum without having to get any exit/entry stamps in your passport-very useful if you need a visa prior to arrival in UAE. To cross, when you arrive, you must contact your tour operator who will then come to the border to collect you. You also need a permit which your operator/hotel will get for you, but needs to beapplied for a few days in advance.

As for searches for contraband, I've never heard of, or witnessed anything more than a cursory once over, open the boot etc. Never heard of anyone having anything confiscated, alcohol will be confiscated if you have it, yes, but electronics? I suppose if you have some kind of high power communication equipment it could be confiscated on the grounds of security (Mussandum is quite sensitive due to its proximity to Iran and the current political climate).

Sometimes, weekends, holidays etc, the crossing can get a bit snagged up, like all borders around the Gulf, but generally this one is very easy, the Emiratis and especially Omanis are a very nice bunch.

This border is prone to sudden changes of procedure, and the situation can change overnight, literally. But at the moment it's as I described above.

We crossed the border during the early hours of the morning. There were seven of us from Europe. Nobody under the age of 30, no hippies etc. It was nearly an hour before we were allowed to continue. We did not mind the search of our luggage - we had been warned it would happen. We were told that the guards were looking for alcohol, and other things. It was dark - so perhaps that made a difference. The guards were very formal, but not aggressive.

I do not misrepresent what happened. As I said, we were prepared. I am also supportive of anything that inhibits drug trafficking and worse. My post did not show anger or resentment - the advice was to be prepared and not to argue and this means there is no stress on either side. It is easy to make a mistake and have some cans of beer with you for the boat. They are likely to be confiscated.

We enjoyed the trip very much. We would do it again. And we would like everyone who goes there to have a stress-free enjoyable experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom