Trip report morehead city april 25/26 Tortuga Dive charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1978davidw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Me and a group of friends got a chance to dive with Tortuga Dive charters this past weekend. I have to say i had a great time. Nice clean boat, excellent divemaster, and a captain who will take you where YOU want to go. I would definitely dive with them again and i highly reccomend them for anyone seeking an excellent dive experience.

David, we enjoyed you and the group from Immersed Scuba from Johnson City, TN. Everyone was dialed in and handled the challenging sea conditions with composure. Thank goodness we were blessed with 72 degree blue water and 50+ feet of visibility on the U352 and Aeolus stern and bow. The Indra was a little cooler with the green inshore water, but made a nice 3rd dive on Saturday after that ugly squall had passed. I hope you guys will come back later in the season when it is warm and sunny. :)

How was the diving? Where did you go? What did you see? Water temp? Vis? Ocean conditions? Thanks.

72 degree blue water and 50+ feet of visibility on the U352 and Aeolus stern and bow. The Indra was a little cooler with the green inshore water, but made a nice 3rd dive

Sharks, Rays, Jacks, grouper and bonita chasing bait balls. Sea conditions were challenging. Saturday started out 10-15 knot SW wind but a squall in the early afternoon amped up the wind to 20-25. Seas built from 2--4 to a steep 3-5'. Sunday was the opposite, started out NE at 10 knots with a big SW swell. The wind picked up again to 20 knots NE and the seas built to 3-5' making the ride home into the head sea very sporty until we got in the lee of the cape. All in all, we made it happen and everyone enjoyed the dives, being topside not so much.

Thanks Tortuga James. Your post popped up on my PC after I had already written mine. I am into shark photography so we should hook up for that sometime.

Did I forget to mention sharks?? There were plenty on the Aeolus, but they were outside cruising around, not in the shark room. A couple of guys mentioned seeing black tips cruise by on their ascent and on the hang. 5 minutes after they left the boat for their 2nd dive on the Aeolus, a very large spinner shark put on a high flying acrobatic display for me.

That's what I like to hear. I'm hoping to try diving out of Morehead in August; I like warmer water!

Richard.

interior paint.jpg
Did you get a new ladder this year?

Same ladder, new platform and the new handrails are much improved over the old system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom