Trip report May 1-15, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Overall, the trip was great, with a couple of caveats:

There was a pretty strong SE wind blowing the whole time we were there. Early in the trip we went south as far as Colombia Deep, but it was challenging getting back on the boat because of the chop and the viz was not as good as we are accustomed to. We didn't go that far south again, so we missed diving Colombia Shallows, one of our faves.

The "white plague" on the hard corals, especially brain corals, is getting pretty bad. I didn't see all that many brain corals that were unaffected. There is much speculation as to what is causing it but sunscreen can be pretty much ruled out since reefs as far south as anyone dives are as affected as the more northern reefs.

The sargasso in the water and washed up on the SE facing beaches is much worse than I have ever seen it. That SE wind, I'm sure, is contributory. We went around the island like we normally do, but no one got in the water over on the "wild side". At Chen Rio it was especially bad, and there was virtually no one there, which is very unusual for a Sunday. On the fishing boat they told us that there were a lot of people on the west beaches of Cozumel who had fled Playa del Carmen because the beaches over there were unusable.

The fishing the three days we went ranged from just OK to downright lousy. The sargasso made for a long day for the deckhands; they were constantly bringing in and unfouling the baits. I'm sure it was a factor in the poor fishing. The one bright point was the nice blackfin tuna my bro-in-law caught. We took it to Chalo's in Hotel Villablanca and they cooked it in 1-1/2" steaks very rare seared on one side only; it was some of the best tuna I have ever eaten.

But on to the good stuff...

The dives: Palancar Bricks and Yucab, Colombia Deep and Francesa, Palancar Horsehoe and Dalila, Cedral and San Francisco Wall, Cedral Wall and San Clemente, Santa Rosa and Tuniche, Palancar Gardens and Tormentos, Dalila and Paseo Cedral, Tuniche > Tormentos and Cedral > Santa Rosa. We also did night shore dives from Blue Angel South to Blue Angel and out from Blue Angel as well as an afternoon shore dive from Blue Angel. We saw all the usual suspects EXCEPT that we did not see a single nurse shark the whole trip! My wife was very disappointed at that; they are her favorite photo subjects.

The accommodations: We always stay at Blue Angel but there was a snafu with our reservations, so we stayed the first four nights at Villablanca. VB was fine; the rooms were spacious and clean and the staff at Chalo's was fantastic. Our only complaints were the lack of a dresser in the rooms and that there is no light in or near the closet by the door. The bathrooms are great! Blue Angel was great as always.

The food (dinnertimes): La Perlita, La Choza, Chalo's (the tuna!), El Moro, 'Ohana, La Mission, Casa Mission, Buccano's, Blue Angel, Pancho's, Blue Angel, Kondesa, El Moro, and La Perlita. All were very good to excellent.

It was, as always, a family vacation plus friends. My 91 years young mom fished all three days with us and it was windy and rough. We took her snorkeling down at Playa Corona. She is my role model!

So, to wrap it up, we had a great time! United was fine, mostly. Almost home, we had to sit boarded at the gate for an hour in Houston while they offloaded excess fuel that they had accidentally loaded, but I had a good book and a live Grateful Dead show (Red Rocks sometime in 1978) on my mp3 player, so it wasn't too bad.

We already have our plans in motion for April 2020!

Blue Angel has always been a favourite of mine. Thats wonderful that your Mother was able to enjoy the trip with you. Sure hope I can get in the water at 91. Thanks for the report.

Sorry to hear about Chen Rio’s. We had a great meal there in the fall and were hoping to go again this week.

Glad to hear you had a fine time, and to see a trip report on Blue Angel. On a live-aboard trip elsewhere 3 different fellow passengers spoke well to me of the shore dive there. How many boat dives/day can you do with them?

Richard.

Glad to hear you had a fine time, and to see a trip report on Blue Angel. On a live-aboard trip elsewhere 3 different fellow passengers spoke well to me of the shore dive there. How many boat dives/day can you do with them?

Richard.
It varies with who wants to dive and when. Two tank morning dives are standard and (I presume) guaranteed. They require a minimum of three divers to go any other time (afternoon or night), and they may ask for a day's advance notice to arrange for a DM and boat. I guess if there are others who want to do the same you could do 5 tanks in a day.

Sorry to hear about Chen Rio’s. We had a great meal there in the fall and were hoping to go again this week.

I would suggest Punta Morena as an alternative. We changed our lunch stop from Chen Rio to there a few years ago. Their whole fried snapper is just as good as Chen Rio's, the restaurant is up out of the sand, and the flies that plagued us at Chen Rio while we ate aren't there. We used to not even stop at Punta Morena, but they have completely rebuilt the place and it is very nice. They even have off-grid solar power (see my avatar).

We still always stop at Chen Rio to have drinks and a swim in the protected lagoon, though this time we just had drinks and moved on. There was a solid carpet of decaying sargasso 10-20 feet wide down to the water and the water in the lagoon looked like orange oatmeal.

A very sad thing to see was Playa Bonita. We used to stop there every time we did the around the island excursion, but beach erosion has moved the water line up to under the building's foundation. It is now completely closed down and part of it has collapsed and fallen into the sea. The owners have now opened a new place on the west side of the island across the street from the southern cruise ship pier.

My 91 years young mom fished all three days with us and it was windy and rough. We took her snorkeling down at Playa Corona. She is my role model!

Forget all the semi-negatives of the trip. The fact that you were still able to take your 91 year old mom fishing (and she is able to go) is absolutely amazing. If only we all were so lucky.

Back
Top Bottom