Trip Report-Little Cayman, March 2003

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for the delayed response.

Looking at Turks and Caicos for a family of five, three of us dive, one at basic OW, two AOW or above. "Family oriented" locale, with A/C, decent reasonable food/prices (Holiday Inn rates not Ritz Carlton rates).

Any thoughts???

I don't know. We always rent a house. It's a great way for family to travel. Let me know if you want some ideas on villa rentals.

Sure, I'd love to hear about rental opportunities. My wife just likes to have specific creature comforts (AC, TV) and something to do while the rest of us dive.

Also, what's a good time of year to go? We try to avoid taking the kids out of school since it takes forever to catch up on work, plus it sends the wrong message.

The house we rented is at: http://www.nilavacations.com/Top_o_the_hill.htm

No AC but you don't need it. The tradewinds blow all the time and there are ceiling fans in every room. All the windows are screened and louvered so there is always a breeze. You have three bedrooms, cable TV, your own pool, full kitchen, barbeque, stereo, library of books, etc. We have gone back to this house five of the seven times we have been to the island. My wife does not dive and we have two small children. If your wife likes the beach she will be in heavan. The shopping is average. Lots of t-shirt shops and beach wear for sale. No cruise ships mean no high end shopping but no crowds. The restaurants are awesome if a bit pricey (stock up at the grocery store your first day and eat breakfast and lunch at the house). There is a good Western style supermarket. Drive on the left, US dollar, friendly natives, not a lot of poverty (No, I don't work for the chamber of commerce). And the diving. . .the diving! Rays, whales, sharks, turtles, dolphins, huge walls, healthy reefs. Unbelievable!

WOW!!

The villa looks beautiful.

How far to the dive operations, other villas, the village?
Do you rent a car there? Far enough from the airport? And again, is any time of the year better than others?

The house sits on the top of a hill. The nearest villa is about fifty yards down the hill. You definitely have privacy. The pool is clothing optional. We rent a car. You are about one mile from Turtle Cove as the crow flies but a three mile walk. You will need a car. You are about five miles from the south dock where Caicos Adventures runs out of. You are about five miles from the airport. You will see and hear planes go over the house about six or seven times a day. It never bothers me. The island is so small that no matter where you are you will see and hear the planes. I have been to Provo in Dec., Jan., Feb., March, April and May. It is a little warmer in the summer. Fewer people. Anytime is good except during hurricane season (Sept.-Nov.). Let me know if I can be of any other help.

RedSeal,

What was the water temp? I'm heading to LC in two weeks for my first post-certification diving trip and want to make sure I bring the right gear!

NewHooDiver

This trip report was posted on the Rodales scubadiving board a couple of days ago.

<http://www.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=1960>

It said water was 80-81 the week of March 10-17. Might want a skin and a hood if the thimble jellies are still around, but temp wise, as light as you want to go should be fine.

Aggiediver

NewHooDiver, The water temp was 79-80F daily, air temps in the mid 80'sF.

Most of us wore 3mm full suits, one woman wore a thermotek suit for the first dive of each day, then switched to a 3mm for the other 2 dives. One of our DMs (who frequently dives in the local cold water quarry, temps 38-55F) purchased a 3mm beanie on the second day and was much more comfortable with it and a full 3mm.

Visibility was tremendous, current minimal, variety of marine life spectacular. Have a TERRIFIC time!:)

Back
Top Bottom