Trip Report: Kurn (Va Beach) 8 Nov

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wil

Contributor
Reaction score
Kurn - Sunday, 8 Nov

It was a near perfect day to head offshore for diving the Va Beach wrecks. The NOAA weather was right on the mark with 3-4ft seas in the morning and laying flat in the afternoon. We headed out to the southeast corner of the Triangle Reef area, to a wreck call the Kurn. Kurn is believed to be a former ocean going tug due to the towing equipment, cables, and other items littering the wreck sections. It was sunk as part of the Virginia Artificial Reef Project.

It took just under 2 hours (1:50) to arrive at the Kurn from Little Creek Inlet. Sea state was 3-4 ft with winds around 10kts. It's a 40nm trip and while a bit bumpy imtiially, it settled down a bit once offshore (not too much). We planned to hook the aft break of the inverted bow section and instead on the second attempt hooked into the nearby Landing Craft. Joe (Dive Quarters) tied us in and ran a wreck reel to the Bow section and another line to the Stern section. Dan (ChunksJR) and I were next to splash and explored the Landing Craft, Stern, and debris field at the Bow section. With a total of 8 divers onboard, we sequenced our entry so as to not crowd the wreck. With three sections to explore we rarely saw the other divers.

Water temps ranged from 56-59 deg on the group's computers, with a moderate current from top to bottom. Visibility was 30+, with suspended "gunk" (less technical term for that floating crap you see offshore), no thermocline. Maintaining contact with the assist line and anchor line during the transit is important, as well as, good buoyancy control to keep the assist line from being pulled up.

On the bottom there were an abundance of Sea Bass (closed season), Flounder, Tautog, Tuna (AJ) and Trigger fish. A friendly Sea Turtle made its way around the wreck and tolerated the divers well. Each time it moved off the wreck it returned to a different section of the wreck and allowed divers to approach. Most sections of the wreck are covered in Mussels. Dives ranged from 30-50 minutes with divers using 34%NITROX. Max depth on the Kurn is about 105ft near the washouts around the Bow.
The aft Bow section break is located at 36 58.177N / 75 21.522W and Stern section break at 36 58.195N / 75 21.516W.

Bobby (RAD Diver) was good enough to pull the hook for us and with smooth seas and light winds, the ride back took only an hour before we were tied up at Vinings Marina (Taylors Landing).

Safe Diving,
Wil

Dang Will I can't believe you beat me to a trip report.
It was a great day of diving, which is always a treat after a 2 month layoff. (Not by my choosing either) & not all of us got to spend 2 weeks in Truk.
I was wore out last night, seemed to work pretty hard getting divers in the water, but well worth the reward.
Was nice meeting Dan, (ChunksJR on the board) & am sure he will be on more trips with us.

It truly was an epic dive...especially for those new to the atlantic (me) :) It was good to realize that there aren't too many fish that big that you WANT to spear, as they'll take ya for a ride.

Also made me realize that Alum 80s just aren't going to cut it anymore...sigh...and I thought I was done buying most my gear...oh well!

Also made me realize that Alum 80s just aren't going to cut it anymore...sigh...and I thought I was done buying most my gear...oh well!

CL is your friend! I just picked up 2 LP120's for $400 hydro/vip'd this weekend and a "like new" condition dry suit-------dirt, dirt cheap on Craigslist.

Just when you think you have everything you need, there's always something else to get.

Glad you had a good time. I was talking to Ralph earlier and he said he had a great time as well.

Thanks Guys, looking forward to doing it again soon. Kurn is one of those wrecks that can offer just about anything you want (warm tropical water not included). There's lots of structure, three separate areas to explore, and some limited wreck penetration. Shallow enough (100ft) to dive with an AL 80 if you're so inclined and not too spread out so you don't get lost.

But the best it has to offer comes after dark. There's lobsters on this wreck and though they can be found during the day, they forage at night and are easy targets. Be warned, these are cold water bugs that offer defensive capability (claws).

Now, all we need is another day like this weekend and I'm ready to go.

Safe diving,
Will

Back
Top Bottom