Trip Report: Komodo on Kararu, Part II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn

Contributor
Reaction score
This part summarizes the dive experience.

Dives were at 7:30, 10:30, 3:00 and 6:30. (I would have preferred an extra day/dusk dive and requested this but it never happened.) Divers geared up at their stations, then walked to the tenders where fins and cameras were waiting. At the beginning of the trip, the fourteen divers were typically divided into three boats, but as the week wore on, two groups. When only two groups were sent, the tenders were crowded. The tender crews were very good at picking divers up as soon as they surfaced. All dives were guided. Lindsay and Katya, husband and wife, were new "tour directors" or "hosts." Together with Gusti, they led all dives. Divers were not required to stay with guides. Dives were limited to 60 minutes generally.

After a 30 hour steam, we arrived at Satonda island for our first dives. The diving was over white sand and coral. The reefs were mediocre but we did see some interesting nudibranchs, a pygmy seahorse and several cuttlefish.

Overnight we steamed to Sangeang Island, a large volcano. The diving here was muck diving over black sand. We missed the best sites--apparently because slow steaming to the island made us late to catch these sites when the currents were right. Again, we saw some interesting nudibranchs, a couple of large sea kraits, some xenocrabs, etc. Good, but not great, diving.

The next day took us to Gili Lawat island. There were several very good dives here on reefs in good shape with decent life. Several Mola Mola were spotted, though the group I was in missed them. My son was very disappointed, and when we mentioned this to Katya, one of the hosts, she arranged to stay and do one last dive at the site in order to catch the Molas again. We did, and it was a great experience for him.

Following this dive, we moved on to the northern part of the park including GPS Point. More very good diving with lots of life and mating cuttlefish at one point. The following day, we moved on to Hard to Find Rock and had a great dive in medium current. Lots of schooling jacks and bumphead parrotfish. A number of sharks. By agreement, we returned to this site in the afternoon for a dive in stronger current. This time the current was stronger than anyone expected and most people abandoned the dive early. I did not, and enjoyed the dive, but the consensus was that it was too much. But there was lots of big fish action and lots to see.

The following day we were to have moved on to the southern end of the park, but the engines failed and we found ourselves in the same spot. (Arrangements were made to fly a critical part from Bali to Sumbawa where it was to be put on a speedboat to our location and arrive at 6:00. As you can imagine, the part didn't arrive until much later and the boat was not repaired until early morning.) We dove Hard To Find Rock and a couple of other sites, but the diving was mediocre as conditions were less than ideal because were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The next day, after the engines were repaired, we headed south. We stopped later than planned at the ranger station for permits and then did a very mediocre dive near there. Following this, we moved on to Manta Alley where we did two dives. Mantas were spotted only on the first. Visibility was extremely poor and there were freezing thermoclines. But we saw our first glimpses of the prolific invertebrate life of the southern park. The dives were only decent but they offered a hint of what was to come. The next morning we arrived at Horseshoe Bay at Rinca. The diving here was spectacular. These are rocky reefs covered with encrusting sponges and gorgeous soft corals and filled with nudibranchs, sea apples, anemones, frogfish, orangutang crabs, etc. Water was very cold and visibility which started out at 40 feet deteriorated to 15. Currents were strong. I would have loved another day at Horseshoe Bay but we were out of time, and moved back to the northern end of the park for two last dives the next morning.

We were to dive Batu Balong, an exposed sea mount with prolific life, but it was decided that currents were two strong. Instead we were dropped for drift dive with currents so strong that it was impossible to see anything. We should have moved on to another site but we had lost an anchor so we were stuck in the wrong place--again. I think this dive could actually have proved dangerous for the less experienced divers. The last dive of the trip was another drift dive at the same spot and several divers chose to sit this one out after the prior experience. This time the currents cooperated and it was a wonderful, relaxing drift dive. Nothing spectacular but a beautiful reef and a pleasant end to the trip.

Final thoughts: Justi was an amazing dive leader with great eyes for finding creatures. The two hosts, Lindsay and Katya were very good and did all they could to make this an enjoyable trip but they were new to the boat--and equally important, only moderately experienced with Komodo's conditions and sites. (Perhaps as a result, divers received a number of bad drops where they missed the best part of certain dives. However, they were a pleasure to spend time with and enthusiastically led all dives.) More important, this setup with authority spread amongst a captain, owners and hosts, just did not give Katya and Lindsay the authority to solve problems and make the trip a good experience. The captain was in charge of the boat. The owners were ultimately in charge of the trip making all real decisions. And the crew seemed to respond primarily to themselves.

There were lots of very interesting and unusual creatures to see. This is where Komodo shines. I found myself somewhat disappointed with the condition of the reefs and the amount of life. In these qualities, PNG outshines Komodo. But in density of bizarre creatures, Komodo definitely has the edge (based on my limited experience). So, I'm glad I took this trip. Would I do it again? Maybe, but not soon. There are too many other spots, like the Solomons and returning to PNG, that are higher on my list. Would I travel on Kararu again? Definitely not. The negative experience on the boat significantly diminished my enjoyment of what should have been a great trip.

I'll post pictures as soon as I have the chance to sort them and reduce some for the web. Sorry for the length of the post. If I'd had more time, I would have been briefer.

Interesting read.

We did a scouting trip to Bali a couple of months ago. We tend to book people on Mermaid 1, as we know the boat well (it's based here in Phuket for most of the year), but were looking for other options. If I'm not mistaken, Kararu lease a boat called Sea Safari 3 from the owners who have about 7 boats. Sea Safari is owned by a wealthy local boat builder. We visited the Sea Safari 6 at Benoa Harbour and have to say it was spotless, very nice indeed. Huge boat, lots of space, nice cabins, clean bathrooms..the owner obviously looks after his boats. I guess Kararu look after the boat they are using, and sounds like they need to sharpen their act as the prices are not cheap! Sorry to hear it was not great.

On the web site the dive staff info is :

"Olga and Alberto are Kararu's 2 dynamic dive masters. They are fully qualified PADI, & TDI/SDI instructors with thousands of dives logged. Their local experience and knowledge of marine life habitat will lead you to the secret places only those intimately familiar with the area can."

Looks like you got new staff. I can sympathise with you and them. I remember my first trip as a DM in Burma and with no local knowledge and rough weather we did have to abandon a couple of dives. We lost an anchor too, and punctured the dinghy. But the marine life on some of the dives made up for the problems, same as your trip.

Sorry to hear you had such a mediocre experience. I did a Komodo trip last July with Komodo Dancer and was very satisfied. It was one of the best trips ever (and I've been to Maldives, Red Sea, Sipadan, Similan, Coral Sea etc.).

The Komodo Dancer is very neat and in good shape - and it's even cheaper than Kararu. The crew is fantastic - the tour director as well as the dive guides and all the Indonesian crew - very helpful and cordial. They know all the sites very well and were always on the right spot at the right time.

From my point of view I would expect experienced dive guides for USD 300 a day. If there are new guides on a boat, the owner has to take care they get a good introduction into the dive area without having the guests suffer for.

In other dive areas I wouldn't be so strict but it is well-known that diving around Komodo is highly dependent on choosing the right spot at the right time dropping the divers at the right place. If that doesn't work out you could get a very bad dive instead of a fantastic one...

Good luck for your next holiday and maybe you give Komodo a second try sooner or later...

Excellent trip report. thanks very much. It's so refreshing to see an honest report rather than the usual "food sooooo great, diving fantastic etc etc etc."

baragon:
Excellent trip report. thanks very much. It's so refreshing to see an honest report rather than the usual "food sooooo great, diving fantastic etc etc etc."

Well, I wish that had been my report.

nizzle. Glad to hear you had fun. They have done some great rehab work in Komodo.

gabyne:
Sorry to hear you had such a mediocre experience. I did a Komodo trip last July with Komodo Dancer and was very satisfied. It was one of the best trips ever (and I've been to Maldives, Red Sea, Sipadan, Similan, Coral Sea etc.).

The Komodo Dancer is very neat and in good shape - and it's even cheaper than Kararu. The crew is fantastic - the tour director as well as the dive guides and all the Indonesian crew - very helpful and cordial. They know all the sites very well and were always on the right spot at the right time.

From my point of view I would expect experienced dive guides for USD 300 a day. If there are new guides on a boat, the owner has to take care they get a good introduction into the dive area without having the guests suffer for.

In other dive areas I wouldn't be so strict but it is well-known that diving around Komodo is highly dependent on choosing the right spot at the right time dropping the divers at the right place. If that doesn't work out you could get a very bad dive instead of a fantastic one...

Good luck for your next holiday and maybe you give Komodo a second try sooner or later...

Hi Ga,

Sorry to tell you but the DM's on Komodo Dancer are new as well (been there 10 months now). I went on a trip Aug 1-8. I'll post the details in the next day or so. My experience was good and the crew was very good but hiring guides without siginifacnt experience in these islands has it's draW backs, all expressed in the report. I'll put details here or on a related link and you can compare.

Regards,

Dean

Deano2:
Hi Ga,
Sorry to tell you but the DM's on Komodo Dancer are new as well (been there 10 months now). I went on a trip Aug 1-8.

Hi Dean,
thanks for the comment! Wow, then I was obviously very lucky because I was there the second week of July '04 - that must have been one of the last cruises of the "old" crew...

Looking forward to your details.

Gaby

Reuben,

thanks for the honest report. Well at least you got to see some mola mola's and some mantas... I was on the Sea Safari 8 in early Aug and didnt have that luck (thanks to Merpati cancelling our return flight so forcing us to stay north of Komodo/ Rinca in order to stay in cell phone distance while sorting out our flights). I think my friends were just on the return leg of Kararu/Sea Safari III (bima->Bali) after your trip. They too were a bit underwhelmed.

Hi Reuben,

It had been a while since I checked the Asia thread. Just stumbled upon your Kararu trip reports. Sorry that, for the second time, your other-side-of-the-world dive trip did not live up to your (understandable) expectations. I'm sure I've mentioned that I was looking at Kararu's Raja Ampat itinerary as one of my choices for that region. It's got to be very disheartening to spend so much time, money and anticipation to find a frustrating and disappointing reality.

Of course, it seems as though you did manage to experience some of the better treats of Komodo diving. I'm envious of the Hard to Find Rock experience and the mating cuttlefish. Don't know what a Mola Mola is, though!

Just today, I paid the balance on my Spirit of Solomons trip. I'm holding my breath on this one--the longest and priciest trip yet. It'll be interesting to see if that reality lives up to the raves that I've read all over the net. My accomodations will be quite a step down from the relatively huge cabin on the Star Dancer, with its picture window and ensuite bathroom with tub and shower! ON the Spirit, I'll be in one of the lower deck singles with no porthole and shared facilities. But if the diving and the crew live up to their reputations I'll be a happy camper.

So how's San Diego working out? How's your new gig? Find a nice house? Enjoying the multicultural splendor of the city? I found a great dive op in Pompano. A certain Captain Oliver defected from my old Alma Mater, the Scubatyme and started up his own shoestring operation on a little 6-pack. It's the ultimate dive op for me. Almost all word-of-mouth. So far, every diver that's been on the boat has been highly experienced. We meet at the public boat ramp off of Atlantic Blvd. We've left early every time I've dived with Oliver. It's only a 10 minute trip to the Hillsboro Inlet. Then out to the site, gear up, over the side, and take as much time as you want. No corny boat briefings. Very basic, yet clear site briefings, no lectures and no baby-sitting. I dove a 139 foot wreck (Jim Atria)for 40 minutes followed by a 75-minute dive on a 60 foot reef (Anglin Pier). What a gas! Never more than 5 other divers on the boat, one time just me and one other guy. I don't know if Oliver will be able to survive at this rate, but while he's at it, I'm going to take as much advantage as I can.

Maybe our paths will finally cross on a dive trip. I'd certainly be willing to do the Witus, Fathers and the rest of the PNG itinerary again sometime.

Best to you and your family,

Back
Top Bottom