Trip Report Trip Report - Islas del Rosario, Colombia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jafo19D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Islas del Rosario is one hour from Cartagena and you can only get there by boat.

This was my second time diving there and for this trip I did a two day, 5 tank dive with Diving Planet which required an overnight stay at Islas del Rosario.

Before getting into site and dive experience let me describe the situation here in Colombia. National travel has been opened for 2-3 months and international for 1-2 months. Unlike in the US people here don't make a big deal for having to wear masks; it's expected that you do so everywhere including when walking outside. My cousin came down to visit from Virginia and was shocked at how everyone wears a mask. Many establishments also take your temperature when coming in. As far as getting into the country you need need a Covid test within 36 hours and you're temperature will be taken when you arrive. If travelling from Bogota to Cartagena, the airport in Bogota will make you fill out a form on an app called CoronApp and show the QR code before letting you inside (the airport in Cartagena didn't ask me for this in the trip back to Bogota). There are direct flights from the US to Cartagena.

Andres, the owner of Diving Planet, was very patient with me in the pre-trip stuff like providing recommendations on where to stay and answering my questions about bringing my own gear and the necessary forms you easily fill online the COVID stuff. BTW, the package they sold me included R/T transport Cartagena/Islas del Rosario, lunch on both days and tanks and weights (I was bringing my own gear so they gave me a small discount) and breakfast for day 2. The total cost for the package (minus hotel) was about USD $225 - not bad.

On Day1 I met up with them at the marina (easy as pie process) and I sat down in the section of the hotel they were operating out of for this trip . The transportation was managed by the hotel (San Pedro Majagua) which was very easygoing in complete contrast to every other ride I've ever taken to Islas del Rosario where they haul a@@ and the ride is extremely bumpy and sometimes downright reckless. The ride took about an hour as usual and once there they match you up with your gear. On Day1 there was a French couple who was finishing up their OW, a Colombian couple who was doing a Discovery, the DM who would guide me (Jorge) and Jorge's gf who is with an organization called Agenda del Mar and was there to get pictures for the organization (she would diving with Andres) which meant that I would be diving with Jorge the entire weekend which in turn meant that I had very personalized and outstanding service.

The first dive was a self inflicted disaster. I was testing out my buoyancy at the beginning (yes I know its better at the end of the dive with a nearly empty tank) because I was trying out less lead and at some point got distracted and dropped my GoPro. By the time I realized what had happened I had drifted quite a bit and there was so much coral that it was impossible to find it. Near the end of the dive Jorge indicated that we'd look for it but no luck, Back on the boat Jorge and some others jumped back in with just snorkel gear and after about 10 minutes the guy who was teaching the discovery dive actually found it. That saved my entire trip.

The third dive on that trip was at night and it would only be me and Jorge. Like always Jorge gave a great predive brief and made sure we each had at least two flashlights. Despite already having my AOW this was my fist ever night dive and I had a blast and saw lots of interesting stuff including an octopus, pufferfish and huge crabs.

Second day we had two more dives and on these it was just Andres, Jorge, Jorge's gf and me. I told them that I wanted to practice deploying my DSMB during the safety stops and they accommodated me (first attempt was a total disaster and the second was a little bit better).

As for the locations great coral all around; I did see various lionfish which worries me about efforts to control that invasive species. Water temps

Great experience with top notch service. Jorge was pro and probably the best DM I have dived with; I hope to be back very soon.

For those of you wanting to do this trip I recommend staying a night or two in Cartagena; they have incredible restaurants and cocktail lounges. Dress nice though; it's pretty chic. Also a w word of warning. Islas del Rosario is located in Baru but some of Baru is pretty crappy diving, so when you book make sure they are taking you to the Islas del Rosario.

Glad to see info. on that area. Way back in 2008, on a cruise ship stop wife wife, and friend and I took an excursion over to the Rosario Islands to see an outdoor 'aquarium' of sorts (chain link pens and some other exhibits, including an American crocodile). Pretty neat. Then privately we took our guide up on an offer for a paid unofficial tour of Cartagena. A place with some history...including the Spanish Inquisition mentioned at one place we rode past.

Nice to know a person could get in some diving in the area, too.

Richard.

How did you deal with tipping DM? I know tipping isn't big in Colombia and a private DM for the 2 tank trip adds like $7 to the cost for the day(20,000COP). I may be spending a month or so in Colombia in Jan/Feb and totally unsure what a fair tip for a $7 a day DM in a country where a couple hundred bucks is a month wages.
Thanks

How did you deal with tipping DM? I know tipping isn't big in Colombia and a private DM for the 2 tank trip adds like $7 to the cost for the day(20,000COP). I may be spending a month or so in Colombia in Jan/Feb and totally unsure what a fair tip for a $7 a day DM in a country where a couple hundred bucks is a month wages.
Thanks
Tipping is not a big thing here in Colombia and I don’t always tip when diving. If I’m diving with just Colombians and they don’t tip I won’t either in order to not impose on the others.

However in this case I did tip 2 guys. One was the guy who found my GoPro an hour after I lost it and the other was the DM since he was essentially my private DM in 5 dives. Tipped each about $25.

Tipping is not a big thing here in Colombia and I don’t always tip when diving. If I’m diving with just Colombians and they don’t tip I won’t either in order to not impose on the others.

However in this case I did tip 2 guys. One was the guy who found my GoPro an hour after I lost it and the other was the DM since he was essentially my private DM in 5 dives. Tipped each about $25.

They must have loved you!

Thanks
Where are you staying at in Colombia? San Andrés and Providencia just got clobbered with a hurricane. One report said that 99% of Providencia was destroyed. San Andrés got clobbered as well. Providencia has awesome diving and I feel bad for the people I met there, especially the guys from Sonny’s Dive Shop

Where are you staying at in Colombia? San Andrés and Providencia just got clobbered with a hurricane. One report said that 99% of Providencia was destroyed. San Andrés got clobbered as well. Providencia has awesome diving and I feel bad for the people I met there, especially the guys from Sonny’s Dive Shop

I would normally be in Thailand but Asia is "closed". Was thinking of 4-6 weeks in Santa Marta. A buddy will be there and I liked the town, though kinda quiet. Didn't dive when I was there last year.

I always find the tipping in Colombia kinda interesting. Go out to eat at a nicer place and the waiter will ask if it's OK to include tip on the bill. You can say yes or no. Over all I find the service in Colombia excellent and deserving of a tip. Not the "I'm entitled to a tip" attitude like you see in Thailand now(at least in tourist areas).

Other than SM do you have any suggestions for coastal towns to chill out for a month a couple times a year. Looking for inexpensive living, good food, a little nightlife(I don't drink), don't want to be on a little island for a month, inexpensive diving (maybe shore diving).

Thanks

I would normally be in Thailand but Asia is "closed". Was thinking of 4-6 weeks in Santa Marta. A buddy will be there and I liked the town, though kinda quiet. Didn't dive when I was there last year.
Not really impressed with the diving in Sta Marta and it's really polluted. It's also the place that made me decide to get a dive knife because I got tangled up in a net there; the only place I have dived where I saw any kind of debris. It's also very polluted especially the supposedly nice Rodadero area. The person that convinced me to take up diving once participated in a clean up operation in Sta Marta. They got divided into groups and her friend was assigned to El Rodadero; this friend ended up getting covered in poop. I imagined that she was exaggerating but just this January I dove in Sta Marta and although we didn't dive in El Rodadero the dive operator was there and as we were leaving via a canal that dumped into El Rodadero he told us to not touch the water because they were dumping raw sewage "again". One place I'd like to dive in that area is Parque Tayrona; the land portion of the park always closes for a month in late January or February but not sure for diving.

Nearby Taganga has a bit better diving and is known for really cheap courses. Cartagena has dead reefs and nearby Baru is really not that all great but a bit further out there's Islas del Rosario which even though it is not clear clear water like Providencia or San Andres it has great coral and it's a protected park. If you want to dive there I recommend Diving Planet.

I always find the tipping in Colombia kinda interesting. Go out to eat at a nicer place and the waiter will ask if it's OK to include tip on the bill. You can say yes or no. Over all I find the service in Colombia excellent and deserving of a tip. Not the "I'm entitled to a tip" attitude like you see in Thailand now(at least in tourist areas).

Other than SM do you have any suggestions for coastal towns to chill out for a month a couple times a year. Looking for inexpensive living, good food, a little nightlife(I don't drink), don't want to be on a little island for a month, inexpensive diving (maybe shore diving).

Thanks
Taganga is really cheap; it has kind of a backpacker vibe and like I said in one of the above posts it's known for cheap courses. Quite a few hostels and some of the dive centers give you a discount on lodging if you dive with them. I might go there for a deep diver course if they offer it there. No shore diving that I know of but dive centers are really cheap in Colombia. For Taganga I recommend Tayrona Dive Center | Buceo y hotel en Taganga The owner's name is Muñeco and is a really nice guy; this place has a no frills hotel and is 2 blocks from the beach where you can find all kinds of restaurants and places to chill at. My son and I did our OW there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom