Trip report for June 21 - August 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waynel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First time to Belize. Loved it. Not only was the diving fantastic but the overall experience. First place I've ever been to in the Carribean where the locals actually said good morning to you first. I like the people in Couzmel, but I have to be honest. The Belizeans are some of the happiest, friendliest people I've ever encountered. It really is "no problem, mon!" for everything.

We stayed at Belizean Shores and it was very nice resort. Nothing fancy like Ramons or some of the high dollar spots, but we liked it. We especially liked walking about 20 yards from our front door to our little boat with only 8 divers. My wife especially loved the 8:45 a.m. call. She was reall excited about the dive process. Just take a few steps to the back of the boat, slip into the BC and roll backwards. Until this trip her only experience was with the Cattle boats in Coz. You know, put the fins and Tank on, strap on you mask, get in line and try to walk 20' to take that giant stride. She certainly didn't miss having to climb a ladder with a tank and saturated gear to get back in the boat. The dive sites are all 10 to 15 minutes away. All of our SITS were either in San Pedro or back at our own room (We have spent many a one hour SIT on a rocking cattle boat).

TuffENuff indeed is a great dive op. And everything people have said about Billy is true. He is the man there. Felicito, the DM was great too. It seemed like we spent all of our surface time laughing.

As for the actual dives. It reminds me of Cozumel without the currents. Great canyons, tunnels and swim thrus. Viz was 80 - 100' (even beyond 100 one day). Big pelagics...and I mean big. Beautiful green moray eels that looked 8-10 feet long, a loggerhead turtle about 6' in width. Big sharks, octupi (saw no squid), Portugese Man of War.

Billie fed the nurse sharks, we all petted and hugged them. I didn't see as many lobsters as you'll find in Coz, if thats something you need. Although the biggest lobster I have ever seen was on this Belize trip about 87' down.

Water temp was 86F, no wet suits needed (even on the night dive). And like Cozumel if you want to see schools of fish you naturally will get that on shallow dives where the reef is closest to the sun. We petted stingrays and saw sea horses, Parrotfish, groupers, etc...all at real shallow sites like Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley.

Again, the diving was fantastic and I would honestly have to put Coz and Belize at about the same rating for diving. But the overall experience rating? Well, if you like Senior Frogs, the really happening bars, etc. that Coz offers the cruise people, then Coz is for you. However, Coz still feels like Mexico to me. Belize is more of what you would expect of a true "Carribean experience". Incredible mix of Caribbean cultures; Creole, Mayan, Jamacian, Mexican, Brits, North Americans. I've never seen so much diversity on one little island (Ambergris Caye).

It's a bit harder to get to there. Houston to Belize, a little plane to San Pedro and then finally a water taxi to your resort. But we suddenly realized that only added to charm. Every night we put on sandals (the only shoe you will need to bring) and hopped on the water taxi for a ten minute ride into San Pedro. Played around then water taxied back. About the sandals...besides being the only shoe I brought, I never wore them except to go to town.

Belize gets 5 stars from my wife and I. Again, it was the complete package. Incredibly diving, relaxing and a unique cultural experience. Just one little tip to wrap up. Spend $45 per person for the water taxi for a week. DO NOT rent a golf cart to travel from the north side to San Pedro. It's $80 a day and what they call a road would be called a trail here in the States.

wayne, thanks so much for the report!! We leave next Saturday - can't wait.

One question - is there anything that I may not have thought to bring, or anything that you would have brought, in retrospect, that you didn't think of?

Yes. If you are staying at a resort on the north end with a kitchen and plan to cook meals, get your groceries delivered before you get there. There is a service and your resort will give you the info you need, including a website address where you can fill out an online order form. We knew about this but did not use it. Wish we had. We actually had to take the boat back to town with a big empty dive bag and that we was a real chore toting it around. There are NO stores on the north end. Just a little "convenience store" at Captain Morgans and they don't have much at all. Even if you are not planning to do a lot of cooking (if you have a kitchen) still order soft drinks, snacks etc. if you want them and have it delivered. The delivery charge is $35 and worth every penny. Also, all the restaurants on the north end close at 9 pm. If you do a night dive, you will eat unless you have food in your room.

Of course, if you are staying in San Pedro getting food will be easier. If you are bringing kids and they have something special the will want on the trip, bring it with you. Everything on that island is imported and there is not a great variety so don't assume they will have it.

good to know - thanks. I had forgotten to order food, will do so. We are on the south end, so not as isolated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom