Trip Report for Coral Caverns Diver Resort in Andros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shangrl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from an incredible dive trip to Andros Island in the Bahamas. Stayed at Coral Caverns Dive Resort and it was nothing less of spectacular. Mark and Lucia are two Texans who own the resort. They couldn't have been nice or more accomodating. All meals are prepared at the resort and are included in the dive package. Breakfast is served bright and early and can be anything from pancakes and eggs, cheese grits, fruit and cereal, fresh coffee..you just ask and it appears.

Lunch varied from curried chicken salad (one of my favorites) burgers, baked chicken and mac and cheese cassorole and the list goes on. Dinner consisted of lobster,peas and rice, conch fritters, fresh pizza, quesadillas, beef stew and the best peanut butter pie. One of the divers didn't eat shellfish so speak up...the kitchen will prepare you anything you may want. On the night we had lobster, the kitchen (thanks Daisy and company!) made cornish game hens for those who preferred poultry.The bar is an open bar and works on an honor system. Most of the guests hang out in the bar after dives and discuss the dives, check out each other's pictures or watch TV as they get about a zillion channels.

The rooms are clean and comfortable with AC and large bathrooms. Daily maid service is provided. There is a swimming pool on the grounds as well. Ground transit to and from the airport is included in your dive package. I have to give a little shout out to Spud and Permit..the resident potcake dogs who have tons of personality. Spud would chase the dive boat out every morning and was always waiting for us when we returned.

The diving surpassed all of my expectations. Stuart Cove Shark Dive?? Skip it. This is the real deal. We were surrounded by sharks on every dive..about five or six at a time. Neal, the DM, who is part fish knows these waters well. He'll take you on some extreme diving experiences. One of the best was my first dive of the trip. We backrolled off the boat and into the water with about twelve sharks swimming around. Definately not for the fainthearted. The sharks left us alone but we were able to marvel at their beauty as we hung over the abyss where the ocean floor drops to 6000 feet. This my friends, is good diving. You'll see dorodos, sailfish, sharks, wahoo and whatever else decides to come flying out of the Tongue of the Ocean. I decided that these waters were full of steroids because everything is BIGGER in the BAHAMAS and especially here. On another dive, I saw the biggest spotted Eagle Ray I've ever seen..it was bigger than a Manta. I saw one of the biggest loggerhead turtles and huge reef sharks. The sharks were along on every dive. And not nurse sharks. We saw black tips, silky and a few other type of reef sharks. As we were diving along a blue hole, we noticed two male porpoises playing around the area. I am telling you..anything you want to see..you will see here. Ask Neal. He was the absolute best to dive with and ps, he's also hot and alot of fun! :wink:

Here's the best thing about Coral Caverns Dive Resort...you won't see any other dive boats in the area. When I first arrived on Friday night, I asked "What time are we diving tommorow?" and Neal said, "Well, what time do you want to go?"

That should sum up what this place is all about. Go. You will not be disapointed. This is the best kept secret in the Bahamas.

I'd never heard about this place until reading your post. Now I'm checking out their website. It's operated by Texans... nice. Damn, wireless internet in every room? Get out of here!

Andros is my second favorite Bahamian island to dive. I'm bookmarking this resort for future travel plans.

Coral Caverns is fairly new. Mark and Lucia took over about a year and a half ago. Def put it on your to dive list. PM me if anyone has any ???

We've been to Coral Caverns twice and absolutely LOVE it!!!!

This report makes me want to go back to Andros REALLY bad!!!!

Oh and yeah, Neal is way hot and way fun!

We love everyone at Coral Caverns!

De nada! I can't wait to go back. Just and hop and skip from Miami Beach.....

Back
Top Bottom