Trip Report: Fiji - Beqa Lagoon Resort and Volivoli

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darook

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Bula! Just wrapped up packing and figured I would start my trip report. My LDS organized this trip with 5 nights at Beqa and 7 at Volivoli. We departed LAX at 11:30 Saturday night on Fiji Airways and landed just prior to 6am on Monday morning. All on time. Fiji Airways runs A330s and is fine. Seats are hard so you will get a sore a$$ before you get there. I am dreading that part now for our return flight tonight. Customs at Nadi (pronounced Nandy) was super simple and fast. We got on our underpowered bus to Pacific Harbor and took in the gorgeous views while becoming familiar with the Fijian spirit animal, the speed bump. Every village has a large speed bump on both ends of town which requires traffic to slow to a crawl. After a stop at Jacks Crazy Sale! about halfway through we got to Pacific Harbor and boarded the boats at a new and very swanky resort. We were on the faster of the boats to the island and that took about 25 minutes. The slow boat was more like 45. Once there check in was a breeze and we got our lunch and foot massages. Nice!

My wife stayed at BLR several years ago and enjoyed it but was not blown away. That was under different management. My perception is that is now very well run, and they do everything they can on an island that uses generators and solar for power and rain and wells for water. The staff was amazing. I had heard that Fijians are the friendliest people on Earth and I saw nothing to dispute that anywhere I went in the country. The food was fine to great and serving sizes were fine. The beds were truly comfortable, perhaps the best I have had at any dive destination. Our bure was huge for two people and had beds for three. It had a nice porch for laying stuff out to dry and had a lovely view back towards Vitu Levu, the main island and referred to as the Mainland in Fiji.

Diving was exactly what I had read. The lagoon reefs are good, not great and subject to intense currents at times. We were there for a Super Moon so really got the whole experience. The shore dive is really fun for macro and I was able to enter barefoot and use my full foot fins. We saw lots of cool stuff on all of the dives but let's get to why you go to BLR, the Shark Dive.

I have spent plenty of time in the company of sharks and enjoy it immensely. Nothing, and I mean nothing, I have experienced is like their dive. They do not do the shark dives at Pacific Harbor anymore as they have made their own site at Cathedral. Cathedral sits on the eastern end of the waters they dive and above a wall that drops to 1000' feet. You will be kneeling or laying in 65' of water for the 30 minute duration of the shark dive. By the time you drop in the water has been chummed for an hour or so and there will be massive Tawny Nurse sharks, lemons, reef sharks and if you are in luck, Tigers. They do not feed the bulls, only tigers. They will distract the bulls with a bag of fish bits higher up the water column which creates a crazy feeding frenzy. That is all fine and good but what you want to hear is three taps on someone's tank indicating at least one tiger is in the area. At that point it is on! There is a metal box in the "arena" which is just on the other side of the wall you are kneeling against. In that box are tuna heads and next to it are two feeders with chain mail gloves on. A tiger will approach and the feeder will grab their snout at which point their mouth naturally opens and they get a tuna treat shoved in. They will then usually swim right towards you behind the wall and skim over your head. There is a team of BLR dive staff right behind you with metal poles to guide the sharks around to keep everyone, including the shark, safe. After 30 minutes you go up as a group to the boat and relax for an hour, then you do it again. We did it two of our 4 days we were there. BLR does it on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and it is a lot of work for the team. Day one we had two medium sized tigers, a MASSIVE goliath grouper, about 30 bulls and several of the huge nurse sharks. These nurse sharks are many times larger than what you may be used to in the Caribbean and are much more active. Day two we had the bulls and one really big tiger that was the star of the show.

More to follow...

Thanks for the report. My wife and I are going to Beqa in September and really looking forward to it.

Thanks for the report! My family and I are going in July. Really want to hear about Volivoli :)

Bula! Just wrapped up packing and figured I would start my trip report. My LDS organized this trip with 5 nights at Beqa and 7 at Volivoli. We departed LAX at 11:30 Saturday night on Fiji Airways and landed just prior to 6am on Monday morning. All on time. Fiji Airways runs A330s and is fine. Seats are hard so you will get a sore a$$ before you get there. I am dreading that part now for our return flight tonight. Customs at Nadi (pronounced Nandy) was super simple and fast. We got on our underpowered bus to Pacific Harbor and took in the gorgeous views while becoming familiar with the Fijian spirit animal, the speed bump. Every village has a large speed bump on both ends of town which requires traffic to slow to a crawl. After a stop at Jacks Crazy Sale! about halfway through we got to Pacific Harbor and boarded the boats at a new and very swanky resort. We were on the faster of the boats to the island and that took about 25 minutes. The slow boat was more like 45. Once there check in was a breeze and we got our lunch and foot massages. Nice!

My wife stayed at BLR several years ago and enjoyed it but was not blown away. That was under different management. My perception is that is now very well run, and they do everything they can on an island that uses generators and solar for power and rain and wells for water. The staff was amazing. I had heard that Fijians are the friendliest people on Earth and I saw nothing to dispute that anywhere I went in the country. The food was fine to great and serving sizes were fine. The beds were truly comfortable, perhaps the best I have had at any dive destination. Our bure was huge for two people and had beds for three. It had a nice porch for laying stuff out to dry and had a lovely view back towards Vitu Levu, the main island and referred to as the Mainland in Fiji.

Diving was exactly what I had read. The lagoon reefs are good, not great and subject to intense currents at times. We were there for a Super Moon so really got the whole experience. The shore dive is really fun for macro and I was able to enter barefoot and use my full foot fins. We saw lots of cool stuff on all of the dives but let's get to why you go to BLR, the Shark Dive.

I have spent plenty of time in the company of sharks and enjoy it immensely. Nothing, and I mean nothing, I have experienced is like their dive. They do not do the shark dives at Pacific Harbor anymore as they have made their own site at Cathedral. Cathedral sits on the eastern end of the waters they dive and above a wall that drops to 1000' feet. You will be kneeling or laying in 65' of water for the 30 minute duration of the shark dive. By the time you drop in the water has been chummed for an hour or so and there will be massive Tawny Nurse sharks, lemons, reef sharks and if you are in luck, Tigers. They do not feed the bulls, only tigers. They will distract the bulls with a bag of fish bits higher up the water column which creates a crazy feeding frenzy. That is all fine and good but what you want to hear is three taps on someone's tank indicating at least one tiger is in the area. At that point it is on! There is a metal box in the "arena" which is just on the other side of the wall you are kneeling against. In that box are tuna heads and next to it are two feeders with chain mail gloves on. A tiger will approach and the feeder will grab their snout at which point their mouth naturally opens and they get a tuna treat shoved in. They will then usually swim right towards you behind the wall and skim over your head. There is a team of BLR dive staff right behind you with metal poles to guide the sharks around to keep everyone, including the shark, safe. After 30 minutes you go up as a group to the boat and relax for an hour, then you do it again. We did it two of our 4 days we were there. BLR does it on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and it is a lot of work for the team. Day one we had two medium sized tigers, a MASSIVE goliath grouper, about 30 bulls and several of the huge nurse sharks. These nurse sharks are many times larger than what you may be used to in the Caribbean and are much more active. Day two we had the bulls and one really big tiger that was the star of the show.

More to follow...
Bula Bula to you Bruce-- I always love seeing a dive report coming from @darook - Looking forward to seeing some of those great pictures you take and the rest of the story!
AnaMaria and I are off to the Philippines next week-- I will see what I can do about putting together a trip report and some pics when we return.

Continuing while I sit in LAX after the red eye. Hopefully, my thoughts are cogent! After 4 days of diving at BLR we took a rainy 5 hour drive up to Volivoli. We went through Suva and checked out the Fiji museum while we switched bus lines. The museum has part of the rudder from the Bounty. Now that is a historically significant artifact! Our ride was slowed by road construction on the north side of town. That added an hour on it's own. Suva is a big city and unfortunately is having a skyscraper built by China as part of their Belt and Road Initiative. That never works out well for the client country.

We stopped at village about halfway for a comfort break using the facilities attached to a local market. It was a pay to use deal and I think the clerk there may have the worst job in the world. It appeared to be $.20 FD for either #1 or #2. The produce at the market was amazing and looked better than anything we see in the northern US 9 months of the year. While we clearly looked out of place and were getting lots of looks the folks were unfailingly friendly always offering up a bula if you made eye contact. As I mentioned earlier, their friendliness is genuine. For the rest of the drive when we would see people along side the road they would wave, even a guy in the middle of a river a 100 yards away.

As we got to within an hour or so of VV we could see the foliage change as that part of the island is in the rain shadow so the mountains are not all tree covered. That said, we saw three days of rain while at VV. We checked into our rooms and did the usual C card shuffle with the dive shop. VV has more polish and feels a bit more corporate though everyone was extremely friendly and would endeavor to greet you by name when they saw you. The dive shop is run by an Aussie named Simon but everyone on the boats were local guys and super fun. We started with some inner reef dives and those were fine. Similar to the reef dives at BLR. When the weather allowed we made the run to the Bligh Waters. It is worth the hour it takes to get there. Those reefs are amazing in both condition and diversity. Sites we did up there were ones like Mellow Yellow, E6, Mt. Mutiny, Vatu Express (renamed by the captain to Purple Rain in homage to the late artist from where all of us in the group live.) It is very purple! We did it as a drift dive and it turned into a screamer and was wonderful.

The shore dive at VV is poor viz but a ton of critters. I suggest it at least once. Do be careful though, one in our party apparently stepped on a stingray and took the stinger into and out of the skin behind her Achilles. She was done diving for the week.

The food at VV was terrific and plentiful. The rooms are not as large as BLR but certainly ample. As opposed to well water, all of the water used in the rooms is from a rainwater catchment. It is suggested to not drink it. There are community "clothes washing machines" but are really glorified water spinners. Any cleaning they do of clothes is coincidental. Drying is done on clothes lines.

More to come...

To close out this review so I can get my video and pics uploaded I thought I would share a few more experiences. Departure from VV to the Nadi airport was on a bus that took three hours in total and made a comfort stop at a gas station that had a nightmare of a restroom. The trip had the usual hit parade of speed bumps but was still quite pretty and offered a view into what life is like on that side of the island.

The Nadi airport has apparently been redone in the last couple of years and is very nice. Security and customs was really quick. The waiting area is large with several food options. The plane departed on time and landed early at LAX. With Global Entry the only wait was for my bags and then a quick exit from customs to make my way to terminal 3 for my Delta flights home.

Trip Highlights:
1. Shark dives
2. Bligh waters reefs
3. Dolphins on the surface interval south of VV
4. Pilot whales on the way to the Bligh
5. All of the cultural activities at BLR
Most importantly, the Fijian people!

Lowlights:
1. Group member getting stung by a stingray
2. Roadside restrooms
3. 3 days of rain at VV
4. Jetlag that I am still working through, BTW it was totally worth it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom