Trip Report - Deep South Maldives March 1st To March 12th 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Premo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trip Report - Deep South Maledives

Diving:

We were 20 divers on the boat split up in three groups. The diving was always conducted from a Dhoni and not from the main ship. We did three dives a day and the water temperature was mostly 29-30° :-/ The trip started in the deep shout in Gan, Addu Atoll (1 hour flight from Male). From there we headed north to Male while diving at the following atolls: Addu Atoll, Fuvahmulah, Huvadhoo Atoll, Laamu Atoll, Thaa Atoll, Meemu Atoll, Vaavu Atoll, South Ari Atoll, North Ari Atoll. In the beginning the diving was a bit underwhelming. We did about 4 blue water dives with the hopes to see hammerheads, tigers and threshers. One or two hammerheads passed by very deep, very few divers saw them. I don’t know if we just weren’t lucky enough or the group was too big. For the blue water diving they kept all three groups together. Also the water was very warm, I still had 29° at 30m. So the blue water dives were disappointing. What we did most were channel dives. We were hooked in at the entrance of a channel at around 30m, watched for sharks (mostly grey reefs and whitetips) until our NDL hit zero. Then we started drifting through the channel where we kept our eyes open for different types of rays and turtels. We also did three dives where we waited at cleaning stations for mantas to show up. These dives were amazing. One dive we spent around 90 minutes watching them up close. Another exciting dive was a night dive with nurse sharks. However it is a popular spot so there are many divers in the water and it can get chaotic especially if there is some current. I was very happy with our guide. If you are a bit experience he let you dive your way but he always knew where the whole group was. He also had a good feeling where to go during the dives. One dive we were watching the mantas but the place was getting crowded so he gave us the signal to leave and took us to another place 2-3 minutes away where we had 4 mantas for ourselves away from all the other divers. The briefings were in great detail and they mostly nailed the current. Before every dive one of the guides jumped in for a last minute current check.

Crew:

Always hard working and very helpful. Nothing to complain about. Our guide was great as already mentioned. The chef prepared outstanding meals. There was a lot to choose from with a good mix of Asian/Indian/Sri Lanken and western food. There was also always plenty of food.

The boat:

It was very clean, every room hat its shower and toilet. We had plenty of space in our room however some rooms are a bit smaller. Still I think there was enough room. The camera table was a bit small but we didn’t have many divers with camera. There is also plenty of space to hang out on the boat.

In general it was a very good trip and I would do it again but it isn’t at the top of trips I would do again...closer to the middle of the pack. What I forgot to mention is that the corals weren’t in great shape but it wasn’t surprising to me considering the very warm water.

I also did a short video of the trip:

Thank you for the trip report and video. My wife & I are headed the Maldives in August and will be on a similar liveaboard route.

very cool....thanks for sharing.

I did the reverse itinerary similar to you the following week. I was on Orion, which boat were you on?

I agree with most of your comments re the diving. Dropping groups of 20+ divers into the blue is not likely to produce great pelagic sightings. Channel dives were excellent however.

Sounds like we had a better experience of the nurse shark night dive. We dived it at the channel entry away from the main site and didn't see a single diver from another boat, but had great shark sightings.

Very good video, thanks for sharing! I've been aboard Carpe Vita on 4 itineraries. Great boat. Was your guide Zina?

When I posted earlier, I hadn't had the chance to view your video. It's excellent. Thanks for posting.

Hi Premo,
thanks for the report. We are trying to book the same itinerary for next year. I have read another report on this board about both the blue water dives and the reef dives being disappointing in Addu and Foamullah. Shall we just skip them and begin the trip in Gaafu Atoll?
Thanks again.
Larry
PS great video, thanks for posting

Thanks for your report. I just got back from there. My understanding is, corals are better in the north and to watch big stuff you go south.

What I did not like was their obsession with safety. Maldivian scuba regulations are certainly an overkill in safety. Like, if I did not dive for 3 months I have to go through an orientation dive and demonstrate that I can clean my mask and find my reg if it fells out of my mouth. They impose their own max depth of 30 m (98.5 ft) and those guys who rented us tanks for shore diving threatened to check our comps for max depth we reached (though never bothered to). You fill endless questionnaire with 50 health related points and if you answer "yes" to any question they ask for doctor's statement that you can dive. And constant reminding from the DMs to stay near your buddy kills all the fun underwater.

Very good video, thanks for sharing! I've been aboard Carpe Vita on 4 itineraries. Great boat. Was your guide Zina?
"Zinah" is the correct spelling. He's a nice guy overall, very knowledgeable and shows lots of stuff but also a control freak. For example, on one of the manta dives our group was the last to dive. When we got to the cleaning station, I was going to take a spot between 2 divers at about 65 ft but suddenly Zinah grabbed me by the shoulder and dragged me down to watch mantas from about 82 ft. I absolutely did not like that since such an arrangement ensured that I'd be the last one in and the 1st one out.

"In general it was a very good trip and I would do it again but it isn’t at the top of trips I would do again...closer to the middle of the pack."

Where people choose to make dive trips often depends in part on where they are located; from Switzerland, the world's going to look a lot different to you than it does to me, in terms of sizing up potential options.

That said, the above quote has me curious about a few things:

1.) What made you choose the Maldives over other destination options?

2.) Did this trip being worth repeating, not not at high on the list to repeat, get limited by the destination itself, or the boat? Are you happy with the boat operation you went with, or wanting to try something different next time?

3.) What places are at the top of your 'let's do it again' list?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom