Trip Report: Cruise newbies dive Bermuda!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not. I have dived in Bermuda MANY times and have heard the same claptrap on every trip. Both BWD and Triangle.

I took a salinity refractometer with me last time to check. (Should be a standard part of every diver's kit I say :wink: ). Salinity is identical (within .5%) of any other reef I have dived in the Atlantic, Pacific or Indian Ocean. So that myth is busted.

I should get one of those refractometers, my dive computer has an option to set the salinity of the water if I know what it is :rofl3:
Ber :lilbunny:

I should get one of those refractometers, my dive computer has an option to set the salinity of the water if I know what it is :rofl3:

What unit is your computer looking for? Seawater is usually about 35 parts per thousand of salt. This means that there is about 3.5% salt in sea water. If all the waters in the oceans dried up, you would have enough salt to build a 180 mile tall, one mile thick wall around the equator!

What unit is your computer looking for? Seawater is usually about 35 parts per thousand of salt. This means that there is about 3.5% salt in sea water. If all the waters in the oceans dried up, you would have enough salt to build a 180 mile tall, one mile thick wall around the equator!

I don't remember, I've never set it to anything but fresh water since I don't know the actual salinity. I just skip over that setting :D

I don't remember, I've never set it to anything but fresh water since I don't know the actual salinity. I just skip over that setting :D

What computer do you have?

What computer do you have?

Orca Pilot, the version where the countdown to deco is in the middle of the screen.

Orca Pilot, the version where the countdown to deco is in the middle of the screen.

Seawater is denser than freshwater. So it will affect depth calculations by your computer. Many computers automatically compensate when you splash in. (Conductivity of Salt water is clearly different from fresh water). I'm surprised that your computer does not auto-compensate - but any manufacturer that CHARGES $5 for a manual online - cannot be trusted!

Seawater is denser than freshwater. So it will affect depth calculations by your computer. Many computers automatically compensate when you splash in. (Conductivity of Salt water is clearly different from fresh water). I'm surprised that your computer does not auto-compensate - but any manufacturer that CHARGES $5 for a manual online - cannot be trusted!

Seawater tends to short mine out and it will continue diving on the surface if I don't put it in fresh water immediately. The depth readings correspond with my analog gauge though. We've purchased new computers because of the salt water antics we've been experiencing lately.

Back
Top Bottom