Trip Report Trip Report: CoCo View Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diving4ever

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Another great trip to CoCo View. This was my 4th trip, and my partners 2nd, and we had a great time. Coming from San Francisco, we're accustomed to the long layovers in Texas on both United or American. But this time we took the Avianca flight through El Salvador. It only gives you a 30-minute layover in San Salvador to catch the smaller plane to Roatan, but that was still plenty of time for us to make our connection. We'll definitely take Avianca again. The flight was affordable and very comfortable. Also, the Avianca flight was the first to arrive in Roatan on Sat morning, and there was NO line at immigration. Wheels up (SFO) to touch down in (RTB) 7.5 hours.

CCV staff was there to pick us up and take us to the boathouse, for the five-minute water crossing. We grabbed lunch at the dining room, and our over-the-water bungalow was ready for check-in by noon. I've stayed in the Cabana's, Bungalows, and Oceanfront rooms at CCV, and they are all comfortable with beautiful views. One thing to note is that CCV has a very good $200-$400 per week single supplement for those traveling on their own.

We were recovering from colds so skipped diving on Saturday and Sunday. But between Monday-Friday we got in 17 dives--about 4-5 less than usual but it was enough. We had high winds and the roughest conditions I've seen at CCV. Because of that, we couldn't get to several of our favorite sights including Mary's Place and Calvin's Crack, but the crew was good at finding dive sights where could enter and exit safely...and they were also good at getting us into sheltered areas during the surface intervals.
While the surface conditions were harsh, the diving was still really good — some surge but otherwise normal.

There was a good diversity of fish including: butterfly fish, Queen, French, and Grey Angelfish, Nassau grouper, Barracuda, scrawled filefish, queen triggers, porcupine fish, assorted chromis, tarpon, sailfin blennies, juvenile spotted drum, juvenile jackknife fish, scorpion fish, and a lovely collection of assorted wrasse. We also saw a dozen or so pipefish, one pipehorse, and a few seahorses (white, black and yellow), reef squid, lobsters, flamingo tongue, a couple of eels and assorted crabs.

One significant change from our 2017 trip was the lionfish. Throughout the week, I only saw ONE lionfish. In 2017 I saw multiple lionfish on most dives. The resort/island program to kill and eat these delicious critters seems to be working well. Also, the lionfish ceviche we had one happy hour was one of the best ceviche's I have ever had.

It was a little too rough for me to take/use my camera on most dives, but I did manage to snag a pic of this photogenic seahorse.

Seahorse.JPG

Thanks for the write-up. I had been to Roatan many times but never stayed at Coco View, but always wanted to. Now I have a chance for an over the water cabana in January. Was wondering what the fish life was like since my last trip. Your report makes me want to go.

Back
Top Bottom