Trip report Casa Del Mar/Aldora Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelagic_by_nature

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Flew in via US Airways. I should have figured in the baggage cost because when that is added on, US Airways was not the cheapest way to go. Second time ever on Cozumel (first was in February) and first time at Casa Del Mar. Our room looked out at the sea and the pool and was very adequate - comfy bed, hot showers, cold AC, the bathroom was pretty small. You had to do some gymnastics to get in and close the door. No fridge, but I found out later that you can request one - they have a few available. I thought their website said they had a breakfast buffet daily, but they only had it 2 days. The food in their restaurant was OK but with so many great restaurants on the island, we only had dinner there once. The wait staff in the restaurant were very good, as was the front desk staff.
They had free Wifi in the lobby and 2 computers available in the lobby for guests but the internet connectivity was sporatic, possibly due to the norte that raged Wednesday to Friday.
Dove with Aldora Divers Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Sunday, we went to Barracuda and San Juan, up north with surface interval at Playa Azul. It was my first time diving the north reefs. I was told the current wasn't too bad - seemed quick to me. We saw a few eagle rays, some in pairs, but no schools. Monday we headed south to dive Columbia Deep and Palancar Caves. I don't think I will every get over how majestic the coral formations are down there. Saw all the usual critters including some eagle rays and a grey reef shark. Surface interval was on the boat. Tuesday, we headed back up north to look for eagle rays. The dive plan was to find this particular valley at 80 fsw that is known as an eagle ray crossroad, find something not living to hold on to and wait. Didn't see any eagle rays but the macro life right in front of my mask was very entertaining so I enjoyed the dive just the same. An eagle ray did happen to glide past while we were on our safety stop. Wednesday I was planning on shore diving from the hotel, but came to find out that when the harbormaster closes the port like he did that day, the dive shop doesn't rent tanks for shore diving - so no diving at all Wednesday for me. On Thursday, the port was still closed, but Aldora took us over to the boat they keep on the east side of the island, which is, apparently, often calmer than the west during a norte. We got out and did a couple of dives there - Rasta reef and Trash Dump reef - both named after the shore landmarks adjacent to them. I think the east side was rougher than the west. I'm sure I saw 6' waves as we headed out and back. A very rough ride to and from the reefs, but only 6 people got to dive on Cozumel that day and I was one of them.
Did a couple of shore dives from the hotel on Friday, which were very enjoyable. Saw all kinds of aquatic life. I am most certainly going to do alot more shore diving when I return in February.

Isn't Aldora great!! What a great operation. I'm glad you had a great experience. February can't come soon enough can it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom