Trip Report - Blue Bay Divers - Bangka Island - July 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlMitch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I had our first child (Jaydan) in December last year and after seven months we both were in desperate need of some bubble therapy. So I began looking for a possible dive destination. We live in Singapore and as such there are many options. In the end I decided on Bangka Island and the Blue Bay Divers (BBD) resort. This was our second trip to Bangka but first time staying at BBD. Why BBD you may ask? 1) It is only a 3 hour flight from Singapore, 2) most of the dives are 10-15min away so you come back to the resort for your surface interval which means more time with our cutee-pie, 3) a protected beach where we can go swimming with him, 4) they do not charge a singles supplement so it was cheaper for us to take our helper with so that she could look after Jaydan while we went diving.
BBD really is one of the prettiest little resorts I’ve been to. They have their own little private island, Sahung Island, just off Bangka, and the beach that the resort is on is just gorgeous. White sand, blue water, hammocks strung up below shady trees and palms, pretty much paradise. There are only 6 bungalows so it is never crowded. Each bungalow overlooks the beach and has its own hammocks and chill out spot right in front on the beach. The bungalows are comfortable, clean and kept clean during your stay.
DSC00992 (1).jpgDSC00973.jpg

The restaurant is big and spacious and everyone sits at a long table together to have meals. They even have their own band that sings Indonesian songs to you during dinner time. Most of the instruments are handmade and the staff are seriously talented!

DSC01771.jpg DSC01770.jpg
Anke & Salman (the owners) are great hosts and run an amazing, intimate little dive resort. And the staff are just brilliant too, always helpful, always smiling, always singing. And everyone fell in love with little Jaydan, as he is the cutest kid ever (yes yes I’m a biased parent)! Ha ha ha
There are only three small negatives I can mention,

1. The electricity is not 24hr, it goes off at midnight and only comes on at 6am. Now IF we did not have Jaydan with us this would have only been a minor annoyance BUT Jaydan did not take kindly to the heat after the fan died. SO we did not end up have very much sleep after midnight as he kicked and niggled for much of the night and at 5am was wide awake refusing to “sleep” any more. Yes we know it was a new place and we were not expecting him to sleep right through, like he usually does at home, but the heat was definitely the cause of him not sleeping. On most nights there was very little breeze and it really did get quite hot in the bungalows. Anke suggested opening the front and back doors to let the air in.... but I was not so keen to do that as the bugs and mozzies may come in too.
  2. The food for lunch and dinner is 100% local Manado-ese/ Indonesian styled cooking. Now don’t get wrong, it is extremely tasty, the chefs do an amazing job, and you certainly will not go hungry. BUT after a few days all you want is a simple pasta or something not spicy. This is purely a personal preference. And if I’d asked for it I probably would have gotten it.
  3. As they are on a small secluded island water is scarce, so to save water they do not have running water in the bathrooms. You use the traditional “mandi” style of washing which is using a small bucket to pour cold water over yourself. At night or on request they will bring you a bucket of hot water which is great. I personally have no problem with this but my wife tends to prefer a proper shower.

Onto the diving. BBD’s dive boats are big and extremely comfortable. Japs our dive guide was just incredible at spotting the small stuff. He also has been diving these reefs for nearly a decade so knows them intimately. The boat crew were great, helping you into and out of the water, offering you drinks and basically doing everything for you with, you guessed it, a smile.

IMG_4386.jpg

Bangka has most of the little critters that Lembeh has but in clearer water AND it also has some amazing pinnacles draped in stunning soft corals and scattered with many many smaller reef fish. Viz usually was around 10-15m nearer the shore and 20m out on Sahung and the other pinnacles. Honestly Sahung is probably the best dive site in North Sulawesi, amazing soft corals, massive school of snappers and reef fish, tiny little critters, just beautiful, and it is basically BBDs house reef.

DSC01495.jpg DSC01515.jpg

We also did a few dives across on the Sulawesi “mainland”. Paradise Jetty is a must do dive site with good muck critters and a picturesque jetty for some wide angle photo opportunities.

DSC01679.jpg DSC01271.jpg

Bangka does lack the bigger stuff though. We didn’t see any turtles or pelagic fish and only saw 3 small white tip reef sharks. BUT the diving was still excellent. Off the top of my head here is a list of critters we saw: Pontihi Pygmy Seahorse (both the whitish one and the dark brown variation), Lembeh Sea Dragon (one of thee most difficult and frustrating things to photograph!), Hairy Octo, Boxer crab (with eggs), long arm octo, flamboyant cuttle, pygmy squid, juvenile zebra batfish (so pretty), bobbit worm (so scary), giant frogfish, warty frogfish, the rarer Bandfin frogfish, painted frogfish, numerous nudis (many of which we had never seen before even after a few trips to Lembeh), numerous shrimps and crabs, banded sea snake and all the usual reef fish etc etc.

DSC01209.jpg DSC01424.jpg

In conclusion BBD is a stunning, intimate and rustic resort. The staff are super helpful and happy. And the diving is top notch if you like the small stuff and also great for wide angle photography. BUT if you have a 7-month old you would need to be super adventurous to go here ha ha! But we survived and now that Jaydan is sleeping through again, we have only great memories of the resort, diving and the people there.

You can check out the rest of my pics at the following link: Flickr: Please wait...

Please leave comments BUT be gentle as it was my first time diving with my new Sony RX100 setup. It is in a Nauticam housing and I have a single Inon D2000 strobe. I also have a +10 macro lens for the small stuff and the Inon UWL-H100 with the dome for the wide stuff. The camera takes amazing shots BUT man is it hard work. It really is not the most user friendly of cameras. I’ll make a few more comments on the system later in the Sony forum.
OK enough babbling thanks for reading.

DSC01015.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01768.jpg
    DSC01768.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 641
Photos are great and thanks for sharing your trip. We're hoping to dive in Indonesia in the next couple of years so I'm interested to check out our options and what might be affordable and still FABULOUS underwater. Appreciate the details you've provided.
j

Great pics that do Bangka justice - I loved Sauhong Pinacles and would dive there again - perhaps with BBD next time :)

Thanks for the trip report. That brown variation of the pontohi is the Severns Pygmy seahorse, got some nice shots. Would you recommend Bangka over lembeh? I like the nice beach they have there! Is that a hairy octo or algae octo I always find it hard to tell!! You photos are great, it's nice when u have better viz than lembeh I guess!

Thanks for that!! I was very excited and planning my trip there until you said no fan after midnight. That lets this Canadian out. :( I just can't get used to sleeping when too hot or even warm. Can't even do that here at home. As for no warm water for a shower, having encountered that a time or two, now travel with an electtic coil for heating water in a cup. This has made my trips a tad more pleasant from time to time.

Thanks for the trip report. That brown variation of the pontohi is the Severns Pygmy seahorse, got some nice shots. Would you recommend Bangka over lembeh? I like the nice beach they have there! Is that a hairy octo or algae octo I always find it hard to tell!! You photos are great, it's nice when u have better viz than lembeh I guess!
Salman the owner was actually one of the original discoverers of the Pontihi and according to him (and apparently backed up by some other pro's in the know) the Severns is actually just a brown Pontihi. But either way he is cute and tiny!
As for the octo... possibly could be the algea octo ... I'll go and check my other pics and see if I can make a better judgemet call.

As to wether Lembeh or Bangka is better ... if you are going for hard core critter hunting you actually cant beat Lembeh. It is amazing. But if you want a bit more varied diving and some WA opportunities along with some pretty decent critters then Bangka is a good call. Most people I've spoken to who have been to Bunaken and Bangka will say Bangka is hands down better than Bunaken. So on your next trip I'd recommend spending a week in Lembeh and a week in Bangka.

As for BBD's beach .... no other resort in the area, except maybe Ganga Island (which is double the price) can come close to such a pretty beach. It really is postcard perfect!

---------- Post added August 6th, 2013 at 07:58 AM ----------

Thanks for that!! I was very excited and planning my trip there until you said no fan after midnight. That lets this Canadian out. :( I just can't get used to sleeping when too hot or even warm. Can't even do that here at home. As for no warm water for a shower, having encountered that a time or two, now travel with an electtic coil for heating water in a cup. This has made my trips a tad more pleasant from time to time.

Yes it does get warm but with the windows and doors open the breeze does come through and cool things down. I was just a bit paranoid with my 7 month old so didn't want to take the chance. But had it been just me and my wife then those doors would have been wide open. The other option is to bring a battery operated fan! ha ha
They will automatically bring you a bucket of hot water to use at night after a night dive, but even if you haven't done a night dive and you ask for one then they will bring you one.

Thanks for the info. That beach sure is a drawcard, maybe can do half n half next time, did it before but with bunaken which I didn't rate at all. Sounds like BBD has similar setup to the likes of twofish or NAD in lembeh. Will look into it. Cheers

Thanks for the info. That beach sure is a drawcard, maybe can do half n half next time, did it before but with bunaken which I didn't rate at all. Sounds like BBD has similar setup to the likes of twofish or NAD in lembeh. Will look into it. Cheers

As far as beauty BBD is light years ahead of NAD and Twofish. But in terms of the diving and eating arrangements etc I would say that yes they are quite similar. NAD's food was more varied. BBD does not have a dedicated camera room like NAD but there were two fairly big desks in the room that served me quite well as a camera set-up table.

Half and half is definitely the way to go.

Not sure about the lack of pelagics off bangka.... our guests at Nomad Divers Bangka reported a pod of pilot whales coming through the bay in mid July.

Back
Top Bottom