trip report - Bikini Atoll Oct '06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrpat:
Dear Kevrumbo
I too love carriers.
I'd like to find, or build, a small group who wants to do 5 days to a week of Deco just on the Oriskany. Double tanks or rebreathers, deco gas in sling cylinders. Go from one level to another.
Really see what she's got.

Hope I get to dive with you someday.
Pat

The "O" has it all, keeping in mind that it is an artificial reef. I haven't done anything tech on it yet, but I have been down around the hanger bays, all over the flight deck, and all through the conning tower. The shop I work with has taken out many techies and they all seem to be pretty stoked about the wreck being there. One of the tech guys that we took out there said that the Oriskany is the only reason he had ever boarded a boat to go out 30 miles to do a dive. He was a cavern diver.
Anyway, she's a great wreck. Look us up when you start you planning. www.downunderdiveshop.com
There is about an artical and about an 18 minute video at www.divingindepth.com shot from off of our boat.

fdog:
Thanks for the write-up mrpat!

There's been quite a bit of chatter on the technical forums of the overall condensending treatment and "my way or the highway" treatment very experienced technical divers have received there. Did you see any of this? The overall implication is that the operation is geared to babysitting very inexperienced divers, and hence well developed skills get you nothing (and mostly discomfort at questionable proceedures).

Congrats on making a trip that most would consider the trip of a lifetime!

All the best, James

I was in Bikini with a group of divers from the Washington DC area back in August of 06. Definitely worth the $5000 price tag for the weeks worth of 12 deco dives. At that time in August we had the option of wreck penetrations thru some of the wrecks including some major penetrations into the Saratoga...nothing was falling apart at that time...the stern area was damaged and slowly falling apart. The bridge area was quite intact while we were there.

I did not find Jim or Gennifer or the staff at Bikini condescending in any way...and we were all well trained / technically oriented divers...we were all diving doubles with BP/Wing setups. I understand that the DIR crowd might not like the idea of diving air to 180ft...with a Bikini staff tour guide hovering and indicating the sights / artifacts. Quite frankly, I found the previews, history lessons, and guided dives on the wrecks quite informative and worthwhile. Dive groups that make it out there do not realize the inherent circumstances, the remoteness, the lack of not having helium so far from civilization (for trimix)...the remote characteristics, no phones, no cell phones, no short wave radio, no tv...there is only a sattelite phone of emergencies...one has to understand these circumstances and accept that Bikini is very unique in this way.
Arrogance on the part of the staff or on the part of any dive group serves no one...when you visit Bikini it serves to have a big ear, to put one's certification cards /tech prowess aside and live and learn. The staff will work with the dive group if they see that the dive group is flexible and accessible.

The staff have to live and work in this remote area with only two breaks a year...it is not easy to have some tough minded, tech crowd of divers push and shove their way around an area that they no nothing about...the staff monitors the wrecks every week, they realize the dangers etc. Believe me, the staff at Bikini have plenty of stories regarding arrogance and mouthy divers...the staff only wish to provide the best sort of guided dives based on the skill level of the dive group.

As we all know...there are divers and then there are divers.

Just my O2 about Bikini.

sandersondiver:
Anyway, she's a great wreck. Look us up when you start you planning.

Thanks Sandersondiver thanks a lot

I'll definately give you a holler. What's the water temp like late April into early May?

Back
Top Bottom