Trip Report BH 12/28~12/30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back, and it was a very memorable trip!

First, Congratulation's to Jason on his 200th dive! :balloon::cheers::balloon:

The dive was memorable, but that is Jason's story to tell if he chooses to do so!

We arrived Friday evening, had some Dinner, and hooked up with Dan and his lovely wife at the Hotel. It was cold, but more badder, it was windy. We completely geared up in the hotel so that all we had to do was put on our kit, grab the mask and fins, and get in. It was maybe around 20F, but the theme for the weekend was wind, and it was windy which made it very cold.

We had a nice night dive. The water was steaming, and getting in the water felt good. None of us were wearing a hood, or gloves. Upon exit, we were outside for less than 5 minutes before stripping off the BC's, loading them in, and climbing in the car. In that short time frame, the wind was wicked, my hands were numb, my drysuit had a crystal freeze similar to frost all over it, and my hair froze solid! :shakehead:

Saturday we got up kinda late, and arrived at BH around 9:30am to find Kevin waiting. It was not super cold, but it was VERY windy. I would estimate gusts up to 60~70mph at times. It was so strong that the 8" steaks that we had hold down the bottom of the Billboard wrap were being pulled out of the ground on a regular basis. Had Kevin not had this material, and some experience setting up the structure around the frame of the picnic table enclosure, we would have spend the day at the hotel, and would have done our diving ala the night dive process of gearing up in the hotel.

Saturday afternoon just as we were geared up for the last dive, we had a pleasant surprise. There was Jason, and he brought home made Cookies.... Yum!

On Sunday morning we decided that getting up to dive early was pointless as it was just too damn cold, so we met around 9:30am. I did a final dive, and afterward did a nice BBQ including burgers, and brats.

One New Years resolution I have is to work on skills more during BH dives, and that is exactly what I did. It was a perfect example of how diving with more experienced divers pays off. I shot my SS on three dives, and got some pointers from Kevin. I dove doubles on the last dive, and learned a valuable weighting lesson.

REMEMBER that removing 6lbs (STA) needs to be included in the weight total. I removed 4lbs from my weight belt, and thought I was diving with 4lbs less, but it was really 10lbs, and I was at LEAST 4lbs underweight... bad... I shot my SS at 35feet, and had a difficult time not following it up! :rofl3:

Roakey has been diving a long time. I rode down with him, and gained some valuable knowledge (like the process of valve drills). I also got some good history on DIR/GUE, and other tech agencies while also getting to know him, and his SO which was a pleasure.

On the Blue Hole front, Stella has a new Pink Doll house! This structure is like a double wide Outhouse, or hot dog stand. Not sure how Santa Rosa expects her to do business in such a small inadequate structure. Maybe they have more than this in mind, and it is not setup, so I guess we shall see. If this is it, than IMO that tells a story, and it's none to promising!

Construction is slated for January, but they just opened the bidding, so no one is holding their breath. This IMO is a good thing, as I am fully expecting them to make diving more expense, and more of a hassle.

Stella is not going ANYWHERE at least for the next year or so, and there are no plans in her immediate future to vacate the BH for certain.

I spoke with Richard Delgato on Friday evening when we arrived. He was very cool, and after I told him of our night diving plans, he assured us we would not have issues, and he then contacted the police and some city officials. True to his word, we had no issues. The police did stop by, and spoke with Roakey's SO while we were blowing bubbles.

However there was some strange activity at the BH friday night. A white SUV was constantly going back and forth on the main road the entire time we were there. When we went to leave, that SUV immediately pulled in, drove to the barriers, and turned off their lights. I saw three other cars pull in as we were leaving (NOT DIVERS), so something is up. We also noticed that the mens bathroom window had been vandalized (Broken). I think Santa Rosa is having some issues with the locals, and this is not the first time.

We had a great time, and I'd like to thank everyone who went for making a very cold, and potentially difficult trip as enjoyable as possible. Dinner at Lake City Diner was great, and I look forward to diving again with Roakey at the Hole as he had not been there for several years, and was a great addition to the gang!

Chow, and Happy New Years to all the RMO's, and SB members reading this!

:cracker::cracker::newyear::cracker::cracker:

Great write up Ron! As usual your "way with words" is appreciated!

I really enjoyed diving with the gang as always. It was chilly with the damned wind. But the friendship is always warming.

Many well wishes to all and the hope that we all can get together and dive together in the new year of 2008!! :D

Great report Ron! Sounds like a great time except for the wind. I hope the drive over Raton wasn't too bad.

I hope Jason gets a chance to report as well. His report on his camera drowning, while unfortunate, was quite entertaining.

Happy New Year to all the RMO's and all of Scubaboard!

Sean

I had a great time, leaky drysuit and all. :) It would have been a perfect weekend if it wasn't for the wind!

Ron,

Thanks for the report. I'm glad you all had a good time. I've still got my cold, and it's been miserable all weekend. The one concern I had diving there wet was the wind. So, I guess I don't fell quite so bad not making the trip since it was so windy. I would have been even more miserable at best, and had equalization problems at worst.

I had that same experience in my AOW class 13 months ago at BH, where coming out of the water at night your suit (wet in my case) started to crystallize. It was lightly snowing, but no significant wind, but I still had numb fingers by the time we picked up the tarps and loaded everything to return to the hotel.

I always learn something new (or refreshed) on every dive. I would like to practice more skills too. I have followed some of ROakley's posts and saw he had lots of Tech diving experience, including organizing a DIR course at BH a few years ago. I sure would like to have the opportunity to tap some of that knowledge.

So, When is the next trip? I really want to try out my new computer (guess I can go to the LDS pool if all else fails) and my new camera before Bonaire the first of March.

Ron,
So, When is the next trip? I really want to try out my new computer (guess I can go to the LDS pool if all else fails) and my new camera before Bonaire the first of March.

I would assume that the 3rd weekend get together at BH with the ABQ folks will be on, but I have not confirmed that with Kevin, and I know he has some training scheduled in FL later in Jan...so....

I will likely want to dive again in Feb. Right now my diving appetite is filled, but I tend to start wanting to put some time in UW if I have not been in a month+.

After this weekend, I think that attempting to schedule around weather is not a bad idea.

And here's my report from the weekend. :)

So I recently installed a p-valve on my drysuit. That was a hard thing to do because it required me to poke a hole into a perfectly good drysuit and hope that it didn't leak during my first dive that I used it. For those non-divers reading this, I p-valve is exactly what it sounds like. It's a device that you connect to your penis via a condom catheter and has a tube that runs to a valve that discharges into the water. A drysuit is also what it sounds like. It's a suit that keeps you dry (or it's supposed to anyway) during a dive and is mostly used in colder water. You wear undergarments under the suit for thermal protection and that's what actually keeps you warm during the dive. So hopefully you now understand my concern with poking a hole into my drysuit. I mean, what good is a drysuit if it's not going to keep you dry, right? At that same time, without a p-valve, you don't want to pee while diving because it's effectively the same as peeing in your pants and that is a little embarrassing to do when you are a full grown man. Hence the need for a p-valve. I finally got the courage to actually put a hole into my drysuit a couple weeks ago and managed to carefully install the p-valve being sure to seal up the hole with some aquarium silicone. I then plugged up the wrist and neck seals and blew it up like the Michelin Man to do a leak test on the suit. To my joy the suit held air and I was fairly confident that my suit wouldn't leak on my next dive.

Fast forward to December 30, I met with some of the usual suspects for diving in Santa Rosa and this was going to be the first time that I got to try out my newly installed p-valve and hope that I didn't flood my suit with water and/or urine in the process. It was a blistering cold weekend with a ass cold north wind that wouldn't let up. We got geared up and ready to go diving. It was easy to spot me trying to put the condom on my limp noodle because I had my back turned to everybody and hunched over trying to get everything situated. While I'm experienced with condom usage, I've never had to do it while my little diver wasn't at attention, so it was a bit of a new experience. We walked into the water about chest deep and I was just waiting for the suit to suddenly spring a leak and fill up with water that was warmer than the surrounding air, but not warm enough that I really felt like being wet. I sat there for a few seconds and was relieved that I was still dry. My buddies and I started our dive and about 10 minutes into the dive my right arm felt wet. Ugh.. How ironic is it that the one place that I did NOT poke a hole in my suit is the place that it decides to leak? So I feel on my arm and you could practically hear the "slosh slosh" sounds in my suit. I took out my trusty wet notes and wrote "My arm is wet" and showed my buddy. He acknowledged and we decided to surface together while letting the other guys continue the dive. We did a nice ascent and exited the water.

Upon doffing my gear I started looking at my wrist seal on my suit. GREAT... I have a hole in my suit! So I break out my save-a-dive box and get some neoprene cement and dab a little bit on my seal hoping that I can prevent anymore leaking for the rest of the day. Soon after that the remaining buddies surfaced and we huddled up around the propane heater trying to warm up in the makeshift shack we made from wrapping tarps around a picnic awning. During this time I was also wringing water out of the arm of my undergarments trying to get it to somewhat dry up...

So during the second dive I hardly noticed water entering my my suit and I was happy with that... Half way during the dive I noticed that I needed to pee... Woohoo! This is the moment that I've been waiting for! So I loosen the bolt sealing the p-valve and I hover motionless for a few moments waiting to relieve myself. I'm sure my buddies behind me were wondering what I was doing because I wasn't moving at all, just hanging motionless in the water column like a piece of particulate. Nothing... Not a drop... OK, this is a little unnerving. I guess that my little diver is being a little gun shy. So I leave the bolt open and continue with the dive thinking that maybe he will get his nerve up and just start spewing. We ended the dive and nothing... What is up little man? Usually you are begging me for relief and today you have your chance, but nothing? This is a little frustrating. So we walk over to our picnic area and start doffing gear and all the sudden I feel a sudden relief... There I am just peeing in front of everybody. Ahhh.. That felt good.. At least I know now that my suit didn't leak around the newly punctured hole for the p-valve installation and I know that the p-valve is functioning properly too... Hopefully my little diver will become less gun shy following more dives.

After those two dives we decided to call it a day.. We were just too damned cold between dives to really enjoy the diving. It was so cold that between the first and second dive I was scratching my hand, but I couldn't feel it because my hands were numb... Ugh..

I had a great time this weekend. I did discover one new secret that Ron eluded to; you don't need to dry your hair when it is frozen solid :rofl3:

My wife took some pictures, which I will post when we get them back. Yes, she still likes film. :11:

It was great to meet roakey and amascuba. It was good to see Jason again and ABQDiver. Without ABQDiver's "super save a dive kit", known as tarp and heater, it would have been a terrible weekend.

Half way during the dive I noticed that I needed to pee... Woohoo! This is the moment that I've been waiting for! So I loosen the bolt sealing the p-valve and I hover motionless for a few moments waiting to relieve myself.

Note to self: Don't drink the water at the Blue Hole :mooner:

So we walk over to our picnic area and start doffing gear and all the sudden I feel a sudden relief... There I am just peeing in front of everybody. Ahhh.. That felt good.. At least I know now that my suit didn't leak around the newly punctured hole for the p-valve installation and I know that the p-valve is functioning properly too... Hopefully my little diver will become less gun shy following more dives.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I did not know this was going on!

Nice write-up! I hope your *Little Diver* grows up one day to become a big diver! :sprite10::rofl:

I would also suggest you don't advertise this post to any females you are interested in! :baaa:

Back
Top Bottom