Trip Report Trip report April 2019, a week was too short

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kksmama

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm indebted to everyone who posts here, all of your insights and experiences really helped us to have an awesome time last week.

We got a great deal on airfare from Miami and then added on our TPA-MIA flights. That all worked out fine, though we did have to claim and recheck luggage it was a small price to pay for the airfare savings. Rented a truck from Avis (to use Amex insurance), less than $300 for the week. The Avis counter service is really slow, but the truck was problem-free.

Stayed in a one bedroom Den Laman oceanfront after a lot of deliberation, and couldn't have been happier. The building is so close to the water the ocean sounds were audible even through closed sliding doors, the balcony was fantastic and we spent most of our time in the room out there. The equipment room, and tanks on the dock were just as convenient as we hoped, and we did three dives from there on Bari reef, and one boat trip to Klein Bonaire. There were a few times when the parking lot tanks had bad o rings or were under-filled, it was good there was soapy water there to check them before loading the truck to go to other dive sites.
Our favorite sites were Invisibles and Salt Pier, we didn't get to do Something Special during daylight but will next time. We will probably also do the La Dania - Kaparta drift next time, and get over to the other coast once. The water wasn't really warm enough for us to enjoy more than three dives per day, computers said 76 and I wished I'd brought my thicker wetsuit. But I'm wussy that way.

Hilariously, we forgot all the advice on grocery shopping and wandered into THREE different, awful, food stores the first night. I give a lot of credit to those who get off the plane and feel ready to dive, I wasn't even able to follow the great advice I'd gotten to go to Van den Tweel until the next morning. But that store is beautiful, and the produce there combined with some things (including frozen meat) we'd brought from home made some fantastic meals. We also loved Between Two Buns, Patagonia, and Cuba Companigne.

We scoped out other places to stay: Delfins is gorgeous, and would definitely be a great choice if non-divers are coming for a resort experience. Hamlet Oasis seemed very quiet and comfortable, while Buddy Dive seemed very busy and energetic; either could be great if that is what you wanted. We appreciated the balance at Den Laman, the VIEW, and the convenience of the dock out back and easy parking/loading out front.

For next time, we'll plan a longer stay that includes Ostracods. Aside from the wonderfulness of the diving we also really enjoyed the blend of culture on Bonaire and found it fascinating and admirable that so many people speak so many languages: Dutch, English, Spanish and Papiamentu. Getting in the swing of truck diving was easy, next time we'll spend more time getting to know the people and island a little better.

Thanks for the great review. We are spending 2 weeks in one of the new villas at Delfins in August, so glad to hear it looks good!

Yep, might as well be a "tweeker" and get the most out of that airfare. Gotta luv "dive freedom." :bounce::bounce::bounce::)

Thanks for the report. Headed to Den Laman in four weeks. What were the "awful" grocery stores? Hopefully, the water warms up a bit. I was hoping to bring my 3 mm...I'm also a cold wussy.
Glad you had a great time.

Rob

I cannot overstate the difference between Van den Tweel and the others. Consider an elegant restaurant vs a gas station's hot dog warming machine. I don't even remember the names of them, one was a bit of a warehouse which could be good for some things and we bought some eggs, small bottle of olive oil, and (dusty) jar of pasta sauce at another. Traveling to a new place, even a beautiful easy place like Bonaire, throws us "off" a bit: I remember being flummoxed the day we arrived in Italy and went into a bathroom with foot pedals for the sink. For first timers to the island, renting a manual shift truck and encountering the Dutch language and even getting off stairs at the back of the plane were all just "different" and a bit of task load. We love travel but have learned to cut ourselves slack and laugh when we are stupid newbies.

My wife and I were in Bonaire last week, 2nd time to the island since April 2018. We have been to all of the supermarkets on the island including Van den Tweel. Last week we stayed at Captain Don's and did most of our grocery shopping at Zhung Kong (5 minute walk), Tops (downtown) and the Warehouse (near Van Den Tweel). Believe it or not we walked to them all.

I would say that Van Den Tweel is clean with all of the familiar groceries that you would find in North America. However, expect to pay at least a 10% premium @ Van Den Tweel.

Our preference and feedback from most of the locals is to go to the Warehouse.

Our 2 cents.

. . .
I would say that Van Den Tweel is clean with all of the familiar groceries that you would find in North America. However, expect to pay at least a 10% premium @ Van Den Tweel.

Our preference and feedback from most of the locals is to go to the Warehouse.

Exactly. A savvy shopper might hit two or three stores for different items, knowing the pros and cons of each.

Thanks for the report. We're doing 12 days June 1st. Can't wait.

Jason

Back
Top Bottom