Trip Report 02-20-09 to 03-05-09 part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akbpilot

Contributor
Reaction score
I broke this up into two parts so as not to bore anyone who doesn't want to read past the diving.

The Diving

We have used Blue Angel every time we have been on the island, so we have gotten to know and respect the divemasters and staff. The diving was very good this time, and once again the service was excellent at Blue Angel. This is our second time using the shop under the new owners, and we think all who enjoyed the facility in the past will enjoy it in the future.

We did 2 shore dives, 7- 2 tank boat dives, and 2 single tank night dives (our first). We dove with divemasters: Jose, Norman, Edgar, and Jorge and dove off the Bally (bigger boat) once, Blue Angel II, Chiqimax and one other I don't recall for the rest of our dives. All the divemasters and captains do a very good job, and there is plenty of cold water, fruit, and rolls during the surface interval. They were able to get Jeanne fixed up with an in-water on the surface reg change, when she blew an o-ring on her octo after she went in. Nice that they had a spare reg set on board, and were on top of the situation. The dive sites are decided by a consensus and skill levels of the divers and given a thumbs up or down by the divemaster and captain depending on the conditions. We dove 3mm fulls, and water temps showed between 75F and 78F on our computers.

We dove (in no particular order), Cedral Wall (x2), Santa Rosa Wall, Palancar Gardens (x2), Chankanaab Shallows (once during the day and 2 night dives), Palancar Horseshoe, Columbia Deep, Columbia Shallow (x2), Paradise (x2), Villablanca Reef/Wall and Cedral Pass. We had no problems doubling up on sites, as we don't really care where we dive, but did put the nix on Cedral Wall one day because of the strong currents we had on the previous dives. We experienced some strong currents this time, the strongest we have ever seen, and a couple of the dives were like Mister Toads Wild Ride, but we enjoyed every one of them. We had a couple of windy days which kept us off some of the sites, but due to not diving a couple of days due to a wedding we attended, did not miss any dive days.

Probably our favorite dive day would be a tie between Columbia Deep/ Columbia Shallow and Palancar Horseshoe/ Columbia Shallow. The wall structure on that end of the island is awesome. Coupling those dives with Columbia Shallow works out real well. What also works out as well, is a deep dive on a southern site followed by a planned slow boat ride (about an hour) back to Villablanca reef making the ride the SI. When you are done with Villablanca, it's only a 2 minute boat ride back to Blue Angel. Half hour out, 45-60 mins on a deep site, hour back for SI, hour on Villablanca, back to the shop before noon. Nice compact day, especially if you are going to do a night dive or a shore dive later on.

Like I said, the diving was good, and the staff at Blue Angel excellent. We really appreciated one of the owners, Eva, greeting us with dry towels after a chilly night dive. Touches like that are most appreciated. Jeannie B. made our reservations and payment easy. In addition, we would like to thank both Pony and Martine for the excellent service they provided us on scheduling and requests at the shop. It's hard to for them to juggle everything around on a daily basis, and they went out of their way to make it happen for us.

The Critters

The critters consisted of the usual cast of characters: Queen, French. Gray Angels, Rock Beauties, surgeon fish, blue tangs, all manner of parrot fish balloon fish, smooth trunk fish, porcupine fish, Scrawled and white-spotted filefish, honeycomb cowfish, snappers, grunts, and schoolmasters of all varieties, southern and yellow rays, lots of grouper (including some really HUGE grouper), turtles, nurse sharks, barracuda, spiny lobster, queen triggers, a huge school (appox. 150) of ocean triggers, sand divers, scorpion fish, black durgeons, wrasses, golden, spotted and green moray eels, and a hundred different kinds of small blenny and jawfish type fishes.

In addition to the above mentioned, highlights were:

- Jeanne developing an eye for finding seahorses, 4 different ones on this trip

IMG_0418_Cozumel_-_Paradise_-_26-02-09_rsz.jpg
[/IMG]

- Jeanne also spotting the strangest thing we had ever seen, an Atlantic Guitarfish, buried in the sand on Paradise.

IMG_0413_Cozumel_-_Paradise_-_26-02-09_rsz.jpg
[/IMG]

- Lots and lots of turtles (Hawksbill) at Columbia Shallow feeding on some type of sponge and paying us no mind.

IMG_0728_Cozumel_-_Columbia_Shallow_-_04-03-09_rsz.jpg
[/IMG]

- A large (1") blue, single, Sailors Eyeball or Bubble Algae, I found on Columbia Shallow.

IMG_0557_Cozumel_-_Columbia_Shallow_-_28-02-099.jpg
[/IMG]

- A Slipper or Spanish lobster out during the day.

IMG_0765_Cozumel_-_Columbia_Shallow_-_04-03-09_rsz.jpg
[/IMG]

- Two Flamingo tongue spotted by Edgar.

IMG_0446_Cozumel_-_Cedral_Wall_-_27-02-09_rsz.jpg
[/IMG]

- Jose finding a white-nosed pipefish in the grass and rubble at Columbia Shallow. How he ever spotted it in that background is beyond me.

IMG_0559_Cozumel_-_Columbia_Shallow_-_28-02-09_rsz.jpg
[/IMG]

- Coolest experience of all, two schools (one of about a dozen and one of about 50!!!) reef squid that came up over the reef at Villablanca, swam across in front of us, turned to look at us on the way by (flashing color changes the whole time), turned around and repeated the drill on the way by again. They then disappeared over the reef into the deep water.

IMG_0657_Cozumel_-_Villablanca_Reef_-_03-03-09_rsz.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0660_Cozumel_-_Villablanca_Reef_-_03-03-09_rsz.jpg
[/IMG]

What a treat!!!

Photos

This is my first time diving with a camera, so my pics definitely improved as the trip went on. I don't have a fancy set-up, a Canon 570IS in a Canon housing, no strobe. I did color corrections in Photoshop, which I'm not good at, but was pleased with some of the results. I'm sure I'll get better. The rest of my posted pics from the trip can be seen in my Scubaboard album when I get a chance to get them together.

Last edited:
Hmmm...yes, a passable trip report so far. But, could you provide us some, uh....detail. Something that would make us feel like we'd been there, too. My gawd, what are they teaching in school these days....

LOL, I have no idea what they teach in school, I've been out longer then most around here have been alive. I just figured with all the BS that's been posted in this forum lately the place could use a pick-me-up.

So many familiar names and places... All the pics are good, but the turtle photo is awesome. I've just been staring at it for several minutes.

Thanks for posting, though it makes me want to go back so badly I almost get a lump in my throat.

So many familiar names and places... All the pics are good, but the turtle photo is awesome. I've just been staring at it for several minutes.

Thanks for posting, though it makes me want to go back so badly I almost get a lump in my throat.

Yeah, I have the high-res image as my desktop at work. Makes me not get much done.

Thanks for the compliment, like I said it is my first foray with diving with a camera. I'll spend some time tomorrow putting some more in my album. I used to do a lot of wildlife photography back in my film days, and had the knack for composing then, but it's much harder underwater. My hat's off to the guys that can do a killer shot while diving.

LOL, I have no idea what they teach in school, I've been out longer then most around here have been alive. I just figured with all the BS that's been posted in this forum lately the place could use a pick-me-up.

Yes, there has been some sort of negative energy thing going on lately.:shakehead: Must be something in the air. Anyway, special thanks again for your report. It was an interesting and refreshing read. Oh, yea, the turtle angle was neat. I liked how that shot showed how muscular the neck is. Plus, I wanted to mention the guitar fish as well...very cool. Sue

Thank you for the report and the photos. Good job with those. I also liked the guitarrfish and the turtle. And the seahorse. I hope to see one of those too in Cozumel in April.

I am amazed about how good the point and shoot cameras are. Not at all my intention to say that you are not a good photographer:D. I have a similar camera, Canon A720IS and often the pictures come out really good, even if you don't think they wil. A good bouyancy control always help though.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Just what I needed.

I just figured with all the BS that's been posted in this forum lately the place could use a pick-me-up.

Yeah, I know. Posting a topic lately has been like tossing a pork chop into a room full of starving chihuahuas. I don't know if it's uncertainty about the economy, a long winter confinement or the subliminal effect of rap music but things have gotten a bit contentious lately. Thanks for a great report and for taking the time to do such a thorough job of it.

Awsome trip report! I am impressed that this is your first time using a camera! When I first started using one the pics were great. That is if you are fond of pics with only blue and gray colors. The turtle shot was my fav. I admit that I would never have seen that sea horse. Good call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom