Trip Planned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nalfein

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi:

I have planned a trip to the UK for the middle of April beginning of May, and I was looking for any information on reputable shops and charter operators. I have my Adv. Nitrox through IANTD but will just be bringing basic gear, and I am just looking to do some fairly easy dives (down to 30 metres) that provide good opportunities for photography.

I have found two websites that I am interested in; one is Triton Diving in Portsmouth and the other is Farne Islands Diving Charters in Scotland. I haven't been able to find anything in Ireland or Wales areas yet.

I am from Nova Scotia, Canada and dive all year round. Temps in the winter reach around 0 degrees, and I dive dry.

My regs are not set up for DIN, would this be a problem when renting tanks? Any other tips or suggestions regarding diving in the UK would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Meredith

The Farne Islands? In Scotland? Has the border moved suddenly? Only kidding.

Firstly, if you want to rent tanks you will have no difficulty renting A-clamp cylinders. Despite what you might read, A-clamps are still in the majority and most UK cylinders are convertible between A-clamp and DIN by insertion of a simple adapter into the cylinder valve.

Secondly, how much time do you have in the UK and where are you staying? Although it is a relatively small island if you measure how far away somewhere is by how long it takes to get there you can get some nasty surprises. Don't expect to stay in Bristol and pop up to the Farnes as a day trip.

Thirdly, UK diving is largely not set up like it is in North America. There are relatively few places where you can turn up, show your c-card, rent your gear and go for a dive. The weather is largely too unpredictable for people to run that kind of service. Most people are affiliated to clubs or dive shops that plan trips weeks and months in advance, booking boats as appropriate. Just about the only people who offer this kind of service that I know of are Puffin in Oban http://www.puffin.org.uk/

HTH

For photography, you might want to consider the SouthWest around Plymouth.
If you can manage it, bring your drysuit - drysuit hire is expensive!

Once you have a firm idea of where you are going I strongly suggest you go to www-yorkshire-divers.com and ask yourself a question. You'll get more info there about specifics particularly boat availability and kit hire.

If you are undecided about location, Hickdive's suggestion of Oban,Scotland is a good one. Excellent diving and good for the ole camera for scenic and also wreck dives. Some of the best wrecks are in Oban.

And Swanage is good too - there's a mix of easy and more challenging dives.

Back
Top Bottom