Trimming out a pony / stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jborg

Green Water Diver
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've started diving with an AL40 pony, added to my quite standard BP/W setup. It's stage rigged in the usual manner, and I clipped it off to my left chest and hip D-rings. I'm not a very tall person (172cm/~5ft7).

The pony tends to point a lot downwards, at least 45 degrees or so, as the tank bottom is floaty and the regulator at the top is heavy. This seems not unexpected. I shortened the string to the lower clip as it was initially quite long, but this didn't make too much of a difference. Recently I switched to clipping it to the crotch D-ring instead of the left hip D-ring, and this actually trims out better with the tank mostly horizontal, albeit more underneath me than beside me.

That seems like a cludge however, and I think I'm probably missing something fundamental. I see there are various bungee methods for use with side mount, but should that be necessary with a stage?

I don't have an issue with my trim and the tank itself is pretty much neutral and doesn't bother me, but it hanging at an angle seems un-streamlined...

How about you install some bungee somewhere at the top and a sliding Dring on your belt

Back
Top Bottom