Trimming new hood, best method?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
I have a new 7mm neoprene hood that Is a good fit to head and neck, but covers a lot of my small face, including my mouth. I have never trimmed a hood before, so I would like to hear from those that have done it, what to do and what to look out for. Thanks!

Hmmm.... only familiar in theory, not in practice. Never had the need. First, be sure it is okay to trim. Some are designed so that they can be, others will leave an unfinished edge that quickly deteriorates.
Also, think about trying it on a dive or in a pool first. You can’t put the trimmings back on, and it may work better than you think as is. At least put on your mask with the hood and put your Reg in your mouth to see how much is REALLY in the way. Actually preferred for the hood to overlap the mask skirt and leave no flesh exposed.

I can tell you how not to do it...
I trimmed the seal on mine when I had an FFM.
I put it on and used a marker to outline the area to cut.
Fits fine now, but the cut edges started to tear. I have been glueing them a s needed.
I sport an epic beard now, so I just pull the chin portion below it.
It works

As said, make sure it is ok to trim. Many are. In my limited experience, if it has an unfinished neoprene edge it should be fine to trim.

Ghetto Divers’ suggestion to put on and mark is a good one. I would add to cut slightly less than you think it needs then check the fit again. You want to trim as little as possible and still have it comfortable to wear. And I found long cuts left a smoother edge then many short ones. These tended to leave a more jagged edge, less visually attractive and could potentially catch and start a tear.

If you have a vertical line of stitching below the mouth you should see two sets of horizontal stitches locking that in. Its OK to cut below the uppermost horizontal stitches but stay above the lower ones. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom