Trimming hogarthian harness webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a new DSS SS BP and their hogarthian harness. I'm very impressed so far with the quality. Very nice. I was able to get the harness rigged thanks to Tobin's online instructions and a few other online resources referred to here. It is pretty close to being adjusted but I'm waiting for my new 7mm wetsuit to finalize the rigging. Now for my questions:

1. Should I trim the excess webbing BEFORE my first dives? I have a heck of a lot of it remaining on both the right and the left. I didn't measure it, but I'd say a good 18"-24" on both ends of the waistband.

2. If I should wait until after my first dives to trim it, what should I do with the excess? Just tuck it someplace?

3. When I do trim the harness, how much excess should I leave for future adjustment? I will eventually have a DS, but not for 1-2 years. I'll typically be in a 7mm suit, often times with a 7mm hooded vest.

4. Upon trimming, do I simply take a flame to the edges to prevent future fraying? Anything else that I need to do?

Thanks,

1: I'd wait until after a few dives have been made.

2: Tuck it. If necessary, get some of the bicycle innertube material and make a couple of disposable keepers.

3: Depends upon what other exposure suit configurations you'll be diving. 6 inch per end adjustment length would probably be OK.

4. Cut it with a hot utility razorblade and then sear the ends, or dip them in something like crazy-glue.

the K

1. I'd cut if there is at least 18 inch in both sides.
2. I am using the bicycle tube
3. 6inch is about right... 6 inch is huge on the waist...
4. I have done the same thing as K addressed.

Sweating like a pig, I put on everything I thought I'd ever wear under my drysuit in the coldest water, plus my weightbelt with too much weight, then cut the extra strap off with a pair of shears leaving just 3 inches extra. Then I melted the cut end with the BBQ lighter.

It's been perfect. I, too, keep the extra couple of inches tight with a piece of tire tube.

Kraken, hoosier, Rick ... thanks for the input. Very useful.

I think I am going to re-check the fit this weekend and then slightly trim it for now, leaving well more than I think I'll need. After 10 dives or so, and leaving enough room for a future DS, I do a final trim.

Thanks.

The electric hot cutters they use to cut climbing webbing at EMS, etc. work well, if you can find one to use.

Don't do what I did, which is to decide, at about 1 a.m. as you're loading your gear onto the boat for a mini-live aboard trip, that right now is the very instant at which you must trim your excess webbing.

I had been on about 8 dives with my new rig with about 18" of extra webbing. For whatever reason, I decided to hastily guesstimate how much needed to be trimmed and give it a quick snip right then and there. I ended up with about 1" to spare (3" if I really suck it in), which is way too close for comfort in my book. I was afraid to eat too much food on the boat for fear of outgrowing my harness during the trip.

All ya need is any red hot straight piece of metal. It will cut and finish the end at the same time.

I use a putty knife and heat the edge with a torch but you can use most anything and heat it up on the stove or whatever.

Some guys use a soldering iron.

I've had better luck making a straight, perpendicular cut rather than rounded. If I try to round the end, so it'll slide into the buckle easier, it frays much quicker, even when you melt it or whatever, because of more exposed multi strands I guess on the side. And, the webbing is narrow enough to fit the buckle anyway so it doesn't need to be rounded.

If the drysuit is 1-2 years off, I wouldn't worry too much about leaving enough webbing for it. Just address the immediate need for the wetsuit. Webbing is cheap, and by the time you get the DS you'll probably want to reweb the backplate anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom