Trimix stick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomfcrist

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Going to build a simple Trimix stick for a Maxair35. Should be a simple build, but I’ve never made a stick for a small compressor.

I’d gues that a 2” stick 36” long would be sufficient, but am debating how many baffles to use. 3? 4?

Enough baffles that the analyzed mix after stick is similar to after compression... it is science you are dwelling in. There is probably math to calc it out, but that would be engineering. I usually use rule of thumb. Same mix out as in and minimal restriction. If the math eludes you as it does I, experiment.

How about filling it with indoor practice golfballs, the kind that weigh next to nothing and have lots of holes.

Michael

Could do that. I was thinking real baffles with deliberate flow directional changes...but yes IV seen whiffle golf balls used just fine.

Enough baffles that the analyzed mix after stick is similar to after compression... it is science you are dwelling in. There is probably math to calc it out, but that would be engineering. I usually use rule of thumb. Same mix out as in and minimal restriction. If the math eludes you as it does I, experiment.

Yeah, restriction is my bigger concern. I guess I could build 6 install 4 and use the rule of does this work to adjust once i run it.

I used 4" pvc pipe for mine. That way I could made 3/4 baffles and stagger them down the length. There is still plenty of room for flow without restriction and the deliberate forced change in pattern seems to mix very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom