Trimix Open Water Rig Critique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania

Diving Polymath
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Back in the early 1990s this was a system that was designed for trimix dives on coral reefs to 300FSW, or so. In light of what has been learned since, I’d be very interested in a DIR and/or Hog, cave, etc. critique of the rig.

DESCRIPTION

The rig design incorporates two 160 ft³ primary bottles. One is filled with bottom-mix (TRIMIX or HELIOX) and the other is filled with intermediate-decompression-mix (usually NITROX-32). Two independent regulators are attached to the decompression-mix cylinder with a dual (slingshot) valve. One side of the valve is maintained in the open position and the other is kept closed after pressuring its regulator to prevent the entry of water during the dive. The closed side is the backup and is opened and used only in the event of a primary regulator failure. The primary bottom-mix cylinder has a single regulator maintained in the pressurized, open state. A 30 ft³ cylinder containing identical bottom-mix is mounted valve down on the right side and is maintained in the pressurized, open state for use if there were a malfunction in the primary bottom-mix system. Besides these three cylinders, a 30 ft³ cylinder of pure oxygen for the final decompression stops is mounted valve down on the left side. This cylinder, equipped with a single oxygen clean regulator, is maintained in a pressurized but closed state. It is a backup supply. Primary oxygen is a stage bottle or surface supplied oxygen system at the boat. The backup oxygen is only opened only in the event the diver is unable to return to the boat during the final stages of decompression or if there is a failure in the primary oxygen system. A buoyancy compensator bladder is connected to the EAN-32 bottle and a backup bladder is connected to the primary bottom-mix bottle. Redundancy is increased by the divers’ option to use a buddy’s backup gas supplies with standard auxiliary regulator breathing procedures.

The EAN-32 and oxygen backup regulators are specially prepared, oxygen cleaned and maintained for oxygen service. Auxiliary regulators, similarly prepared are mounted on special adaptors on the two BC inflators (One for primary bottom mix and EAN-32).

FAILURE MODE ANALYSIS

Deep mix diving shares some commonality with cave diving. In both cases there is an overhead obstruction that prevents a diver from returning to the surface. For cave diving this obstruction is physical rock over the diver. For a deep reef dive the obstruction is virtual, the diver’s decompression ceiling. This ceiling is the shallowest depth to which the amount of absorbed inert gas will permit a safe ascent. Under normal circumstances, both overheads are the same to the diver, but in the event of an emergency the differences are significant.

A diver whose concern is a decompression ceiling needs a different redundancy design than a diver who must travel a distance through a cave before obtaining access to the surface. A diver lost in a silted up cave at ten feet of depth will die when the air runs out. A diver with a twenty-foot decompression ceiling will likely survive a short trip to the surface and quick reimmersion with a fresh tank with no ill effects. Each TRIMIX cave diver must carry a sufficient quantity of bottom-mix reserve so that if one of the dive team suffers a complete primary gas equipment failure at the furthest point of penetration both divers will be able to make a long horizontal swim to gain access to a depth where it is safe to switch to EAN. Solving this problem requires the use of the rule-of-thirds (one third going in, one third coming out, and one third for my buddy) and a set of crossed-over-doubles with two regulators and an isolation valve. TRIMIX dives in the ocean have a virtual ceiling that, by limiting bottom time, is always kept above 130-FSW where EAN-32 may be safely used. Complete failure of the primary bottom-mix system thus only requires a direct ascent to 130-FSW where EAN-32 may safely be used.

All rigs demand attention to redundancy. Design must ensure that equipment malfunctions may be dealt with under actual and psychological pressure. This design takes into consideration the malfunction of pieces of equipment during a dive and always permits the diver access to sufficient breathing gas to permit a safe ascent to the surface. The design process is complicated by the need to have access to different breathing mixes at different points in the dive. On a deep dive using separate bottom, intermediate and decompression gases, each gas system must have a backup. Three times as much gear is needed to arrive at the same level of redundancy as would be needed for an air dive.

There are three failure modes that must be considered for each system: No-Gas-Delivery, Too-Much-Gas-Delivery and Gas-Management-Error. A No-Gas-Delivery failure mode is characterized by a regulator that suddenly stops working, although there is still gas in the cylinder. This is perhaps the most serious potential crisis, but fortunately is rare with modern, well-maintained, two stage regulators. A Too-Much-Gas-Delivery failure would result from a free flowing regulator and a Gas-Management error could result from an inaccurate pressure gauge or human error.

The only gas, carried by the diver, that can be safely breathed below 130-FSW is bottom-mix. EAN-32 and oxygen may not be relied upon as deep backups. Therefore, the bottom-mix backup regulator must be maintained in the open state to allow the diver immediate access to safe backup gas in case of any failure mode. A slingshot valve would provide adequate regulator redundancy for the bottom-mix system. This results in the same redundancy deemed acceptable by cave divers. But this approach effectively doubles the probability of a Too-Much-Gas-Delivery failure. Such a failure would result in the rapid loss of the primary, and now only, bottom-mix supply. By using a separate backup bottle, with the valve open, an adequate redundant supply of bottom-mix is always accessible to the diver to provide a means of ascending to 130-FSW.

In contrast, a slingshot valve on the EAN-32 cylinder is a good choice since only regulator redundancy is required. Any bottom-mix with 12% or more oxygen can be breathed at 20-FSW, or deeper, without fear of hypoxia. Since EAN-32 is only used between 130-FSW and 20-FSW, the bottom-mix system provides a short-term emergency backup for a No-Gas-Delivery or Too-Much-Gas-Delivery failure. The diver can use bottom-mix while closing the primary EAN-32 slingshot valve (if necessary) and opening the secondary slingshot valve. Then the diver may switch back to EAN-32 from the secondary regulator. Mismanaging EAN-32 is unlikely since there is considerably more gas then needed. In fact, the cylinder has 160 feet³ of gas, enough to perform the required decompression almost three times over.

Primary gas for oxygen decompression is a staged bottle or surface supplied system located at the boat. The diver carried backup oxygen bottle is a redundant system and is used only if the diver is unable to return to the boat at the end of the dive or if the primary oxygen system malfunctions. In an immediate danger situation EAN-32 and even bottom-mix may be used as a temporary backup while the diver sorts things out.

Besides safeguarding against equipment failure, the rig is designed to reduce human error as well. To minimize the possibility of accidentally breathing the wrong mixture at the wrong depth all regulators are color coded to indicate the gas they deliver. The use of different regulator designs, side-breather vs. standard and left vs. right-handed also helps to differentiate mixes.

The rig design is not without weaknesses; all of the systems are at the mercy of a double failure, such as a blowout plug rupture in the primary bottom-mix combined with a regulator malfunction in the backup bottom-mix cylinder, which would leave a diver totally dependent upon the other diver for bottom-mix until they reach 130-FSW.

well, I know that 320 fsw dives with a standard DIR setup can be done with:

- double-130s with 10/70 backgas
- 2 80 cu ft bottom stages of 10/70 backgas
- 1 40 cu ft O2 bottle
- 1 40 cu ft 50% bottle
- 1 40 cu ft EAN32 bottle (?)
- shortbody gavin scooter

(i'm not positive all the bottles are Al40, and not sure if a 180ft or 120ft bottle is the first deco gas -- i could find out if its important).

ex:

http://www.scret.org/admiralmay/admiralmay00.htm

dive plan is to drop down on the Al80 stage, breathe it down in appx 10 mins, switch to the other stage and spend 10 mins draining it, and then ascend. a lot of the backgas is also actually used on ascent during backgas breaks.

basically they just do exactly the same stuff that the DIR cavers do, and it just works.

EDIT: i know that's not really a critique of what you posted, but i gotta run...

I don't think you'll see these lines in any text describing a DIR or HOG rig.
special adaptors on the two BC inflators
two 160 ft³ primary bottles
mounted valve down on the right side
mounted valve down on the left side
backup bladder is connected to the primary bottom-mix bottle
dual (slingshot) valve

Missing info on:
Specific mixes used?
Location of tanks (It seems they are back mounted?)
Hose lengths and routing
Tank materials
Buoyancy characteristics of rig at depth
Dive plan and deco run
Exposure protection

Questions:
How many dives were made on this rig?
How many divers dove the rig?
What was surface support?
How many incidents diving the rig?

Before I start, I have to admit that I'm fond of my hogarthian rig even for deep OW diving.

I guess I have similar questions as dherbman asks. Additionally what are the specific emergency procedures? With a hogarthian configuration, you donate the reg in your mouth. It's handy visable and always provides gas quickly. If a teammate flashed his light, I turn to him with my primary extended and ready. If there's no light flash and he just takes my primary, my backup is right under my chin.

I don't trust color coding to denote mixes. We have divers switch one at a time. The decompression reg is stowed to the tank that it's connected to which has the MOD printed on the tank. Check depth, check MOD on the tank, deploy the reg, trace the hose and purge or breath the reg down before turning the valve on while watching the guage to make sure it's the right one, turn it on and use it. All done with a buddy observing as double insurance.

Even an OW dive may require you to get back to the entry point before surfacing so there are some advantages to having the backup reg and the primary connected to the same main supply accessible through both regs at the same time. I guess I don't know what a slingshot valve is. Does it work that way? Even when we use stage tanks we use them up first keeping as much of our reserve as possible in the back tanks because stages are more likely to be lost, damaged or ditched.

Lots of our deep "open water" dives are wreck dives with penetration so part of the dive is very much like a cave dive procedurally including the need for a long hose for sharing while moving single file through confined spaces and including the need to get back to the entry point (rule of thirds at least). I realize a "reef dive" was stated but we don't have any reefs in the Great Lakes.

Also, even with the generally shorter bottom times in OW (as apposed to a cave) we are generally starting decompression below our first planned gas switch (because of the models being used) which may require you to donate a bit more bottom gas before the OOG diver can switch to a decompression bottle. Obviously gasses can be chosen differently but using the same gasses lets us somewhat standardize and memorize schedules (rules) further simplifying procedures.

Another point relating to doing multiple dives from small boats with limited storage space and no tank filling facilities, we sometimes start the first dive using a stage of bottom mix reserving most of our back gas for a second dive. How does this system facilitate the use of stage bottles in addition to decompression bottles?

Another major point I need to bring up is that we always carry enough gas such that we can complete decompression with the loss of any one decompression gas. If one is used and lost we have enough back gas to deco on. If two are used we can get through the loss of either one. This can, again, require lots of bottom mix.

I guess I didn't say much specifically about the configuration described but I guess I need the missing pieces filled in...phisical configuration, procedures, buoyancy characteristics ect.

Missing info on:
Specific mixes used? As appropriate to the depth and tables available.

Location of tanks (It seems they are back mounted?) All back mounted with the two 30’s rotated in a bit (in the direction of under the arms). I’m 6’2”.

Hose lengths and routing - No long hoses used at the time, I’d change that now to have long hoses on the Primary Bottom Mix and EAN-32

Tank materials - Steel

Buoyancy characteristics of rig at depth – each bladder was sufficient to render the entire rig buoyant enough to support wetsuit crush.

Dive plan and deco run Specific to each mission.

Exposure protection – Wetsuit Jacket and hood.

Questions:

How many dives were made on this rig? – I don’t have final figures but quite a few.

How many divers dove the rig? Generally two at a time, I suppose between one and two dozen different divers total

What was surface support? – small boat.

How many incidents diving the rig? – None, though I believe that there was a case of DCS prior to this rig.

I think I understand the issues with:
special adaptors on the two BC inflators
two 160 ft³ primary bottles
mounted valve down on the right side
mounted valve down on the left side

What are the issues with:
backup bladder is connected to the primary bottom-mix bottle?
dual (slingshot) valve?

I understand the long hose and it’s donation, that’s a change I’d make right off the bat.

Color coding and such has evolved and I thing the GUE approach is, for general use, a much better protocol.

Slingshot is a “Y” valve that can mount two regs, each with it’s own shutoff valve. Both regs can be on.

Even when we use stage tanks we use them up first keeping as much of our reserve as possible in the back tanks because stages are more likely to be lost, damaged or ditched. Very good thinking.

No penetration of anything at any time.

Deep stops were not being done back then, that would have to change today.

Staging down is a great way to go and would have simplified any number of things. Only pure oxygen was staged for the way back up. Each diver had more than enough NOAA I (three times over, in fact) so there was always enough gas to complete decompression.

Thanks. Just the staging down idea is a, “how can I be so stupid” moment!

Anybody want to comment on the use of 32% as the deco gas? It has the advantage of being usable deep (in the event of a loss of backgas), but it's not a very efficient decompression gas, especially if you go on it deep. I don't do decompression diving or dive planning, but I can't recall seeing 32% used in the profiles I've read.

I´ve used 40 & 80 as opposed to say 50 & 100 for deco. I don´t really want to go "Personal Preference" but once you "know the theory", optimize the logistics and everyone on the dive is on the same page...what works, works...

I guess the OP was only asking about gear config though...

Just to make sure I understand you Thalassamania, you have:
On your back:
-2x160cft3. 1 with 15/50 and the other with ean32 (isolated).
-2x30cft. 1 with 15/50 and the other with pure 02 (as a backup for SS O2).

I´ve only gone to 270ft (and on wrecks) so if you feel that the last 30ft adds complexity, please disregard what follows...the way I do those dives is (in WW):
"Standard hog-rig" with longhose bp/w and the rest of it...
-2x80cft3 of 15/45 for backgas, manifolded doubles.
-1x40cft3 of ean40, slung decobottle
-1x40cft3 of ean80, slung decobottle

In cold water I´d use 2x116cft3 for backgas...

It all depends on your BT (and sac, diveplan etc), but for 20mins, I usually come up with more than ½ of backgas and decogasses in reserve with the gas supply I´ve listed above...I´d rather dive that way than the way you´ve rigged your gear but as always YMMV...

TSandM:
Anybody want to comment on the use of 32% as the deco gas? It has the advantage of being usable deep (in the event of a loss of backgas), but it's not a very efficient decompression gas, especially if you go on it deep. I don't do decompression diving or dive planning, but I can't recall seeing 32% used in the profiles I've read.

We've used 35% with a shot of helium in it for a 120 ft switch when we felt a 3rd deco gas was an advantage but we've never needed a third gas in OW.

Thalassamania:
What are the issues with:
backup bladder is connected to the primary bottom-mix bottle?
dual (slingshot) valve?

Diving steel in a wetsuit is an issue. Suit compression would require the addition of a considerable amount of gas to the BC and that will cause drag. Failure of a wing would make it very difficult to swim the rig up.

The backup bladder is not DIR as it adds another element of complication and failure. A drysuit would be used as redundant source of buoyancy and a lift bag would be a third source.

DIR favors DIN over yoke. For a single tank, H valves appear to be more robust.

My standard disclaimer will inform you that I am currently not DIR, but my answers should be. If I'm mistaken, I welcome any correction from those who are DIR and are following this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom