trimix computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tnt1203

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going tek next year and was hoping for some recomendations for a helium computer. My dive shop sell auqulung and scubapro, but shearwater looks like a good computer also. Price isn't a issue, just want to buy good computer once. Mainly be diving 250 feet or less, open circuit and a large display would be nice.

Shearwater is an excellent choice, some of the best money I've spent on electronics.

What does your tech instructor recommend? And what tech have you done so far? Because for the first few courses you'll be using tables anyway. Once you get into trimix and decide what algorithm you will be most comfortable with then buy a computer. My first tech "computer" was $75 spent on v planner and whatever wet notes go for. Still using my bottom timer and rec comp in gauge mode as back up. I'm guessing that you are planning Great Lakes wreck diving. If so most of the people I know doing it start the same way. As most of the time you will be diving square profiles.

What does your tech instructor recommend? And what tech have you done so far? Because for the first few courses you'll be using tables anyway. Once you get into trimix and decide what algorithm you will be most comfortable with then buy a computer. My first tech "computer" was $75 spent on v planner and whatever wet notes go for. Still using my bottom timer and rec comp in gauge mode as back up. I'm guessing that you are planning Great Lakes wreck diving. If so most of the people I know doing it start the same way. As most of the time you will be diving square profiles.

+2.

Perhaps, by the time you actually need, Shearwater may have a newer model out. Delay as long as posiable, for this reason and those above...

I have 2 Shearwaters and I think they are the greatest thing out there. No, I am not a paid spokeperson. (I need to talk to Bruce about that)

If I had to buy a new computer today, it would still be the Shearwater without a doubt. However, like some others have posted. There is no need to rush out and buy one right away. Wait until you actually need it.

What do you mean by "going tech next year"? Advanced Nitrox and deco procedures, or trimix, Advanced Wreck or Cavern/Intro to Cave/ Full Cave?

If it's AN/DP then a two or three gas nitrox computer like the Uwatec Tec 2G/ Aladin 2G or Dive Rite Nitek Trio will do nicely until you eventually get to trimix and then it will serve nicely as a back up timer if you start diving trimix with a computer rather than just using tables.

Generally speaking, you will plan technical dives using tables - either an actual table or cutting custom tables with software from one of numerous programs that are available. That planning ensures adequate decompression and gas planning - including lost gas contigency planning, while riding a computer won't accomplish the neccessary level of planning to safely execute the dive.

In cave diving where the profiles are irregular and sometimes unknown, it's still rare for a prudent diver to just rely on a dive computer - planning is either done based on a known profile or estimates of it, or it is done progressively with the diver becoming familar with the cave and increasing the penetration over a series of successive dives.

---

That said once you get to the point where a trimix computer may be useful, the Shearwater is a great choice due in part to the design philosophy and in part to the frequent firmware updates that keep the design and its capabilities very fresh.

I am going to add my voice to all of those who are telling you to wait. Read as much as you can. Get started in the training. Read as much as you can. Listen to your instructor. Read as much as you can. Got farther along in your classes. Read as much as you can. Make a decision.

As far as the ones you have mentioned...

Aqualung makes one helium computer that I know of: the HelO2. I would do a whole lot of reading about it--search SB, for example, before I bought one. I don't know of a ScubaPro helium computer. Shearwater does a good job. There are others.

Get something like vplanner and run of slates until you understand what shape (rgbm, bhulmann with or without GF or vpm) works for you, then get a computer that supports that algorithm.

Reactions: Jax
I don't know of a ScubaPro helium computer. Shearwater does a good job. There are others.
Scubapro has a trimix upgrade in beta test for the Galileo computers. It will be a free upgrade on the SOL and also availabel as an upgrade to the Luna - and also no cost for Luna users who have already purchased the multigas upgrade for their Luna. Of course, it's been in Beta test for 4-5 months now so I have no idea when it will actually be released.

Personally, at this point I see no potential for a trimix capable Luna or Sol to replace / compete with a Shearwater for a purely technical diver.

However if a recreational diver already has one, it becomes an extremely cost effective way to upgrade the unit to trimix and that makes it far more attractive as a "buy once and never have to buy again" computer for a diver who is not sure how far they will go in their diving career.

I would recommend you take a look at what Liquivision has to offer. I dive the Xeo and really like what it has to offer. I had the Galileo Sol and I sold it here on the boards and used the cash to buy the Xeo.

Take a look at all your options before you make a decision. Also it's nice to ask around your diving community and see what fellow divers of your same caliber are using. Intructors know tons of knowledge, pick at their wisdom.

Hope that helps out....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom