Trim while hookah diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr.jadkowski

Registered
Reaction score
I'm diving with a hookah system, and I'm looking for a solution to improve my trim. I'm using just a freediving weight belt, so no BCD or tank straps to move weight around on. I'm really leg-heavy and roll pretty quickly into a legs down orientation if I'm not finning. I've tried moving my weight belt higher up on my waist as much as is comfortable but that hasn't made much of a difference. Anyone have any smart ideas? Wrist weights maybe?

how much lead? I'd be half tempted to recommend making what is essentially a basic sidemount harness and you can put them on as spine weights which also gives you all of the d-rings you may want. If it's only like 6lbs though I would just get a stainless backplate and use that which does essentially the same thing.

Quick Release Weight Vest ("zero drag")

MQRWV-2__59139.1614197624.jpg

The hose is currently secured to a d-ring on my weight belt with a bolt snap so it is doing double duty.

That is considered an undesirable configuration in the surface-supplied diving communities. You want to be able to dump weight independent of ditching the umbilical, and vice-versa. Attaching the hose about the diaphragm level to a harness on one side is more comfortable when dragging hose.

A much faster release on your umbilical is also suggested, especially if you don't have a bailout bottle. Snap Shackles, also known as Spinnaker Shackles, are the preferred choice in commercial, military, and public safety surface supplied diving.

upload_2021-7-14_16-34-42.png

Attach a small lanyard to the split ring to make it faster to pull the pin.

A much faster release on your umbilical is also suggested, especially if you don't have a bailout bottle. Snap Shackles, also known as Spinnaker Shackles, are the preferred choice in commercial, military, and public safety surface supplied divin

Thanks for the tip. I think I might even have one of these sitting around in my supply of spare rigging parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom