Trim issues with my new DUI TLS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SadiesMom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Would love some input from you more experienced drysuit divers, particularly those of you who dive DUI TLS drysuits.

I got my Signature Series TLS350 a couple of weeks ago and ended up having to return it for a leaky Apex exhaust valve - that was taken care of quite easily by DUI's customer service and I got it back Tuesday (changed it out to a Si-Tech valve). Last night I took it to the pool for a test run - and yes, I stayed plenty dry! :D)

One thing I did notice, though...in the deep end of the pool, I got to neutral buoyancy and tried to hover horizontally, but found that I kept tipping forward. There was no change in depth, but I was definitely tipping up. I tried moving some weight to some ankle weights (4 pounds total) and that helped some, but it still happened to some degree. Next, I moved my tank as far down as I possibly could and moved my weight belt (I normally dive with a DUI weight and trim system, but last night had on a regular weight belt) from my waist down to my hips in an attempt to move my weight as low on my body as possible. All of these things helped, but there's still a tendency to tip forward. For the record, my fins are Apollo Biofins (black), which are negative.

Is this something that is normal or do I just have unGodly floaty feet??? Any other ideas on how to adjust my trim better? Otherwise, I'm going to be somersaulting all over the place to avoid feet-first ascents...:05: which should be kind of interesting....

What are you wearing inside the TLS 350?

How much air did you have in the suit? Seems much easier with a minimum of air (I am an expert at this now having done 4 drysuit dives ! )

I also have a signature DUI TLS350 AND dive black bio fins :D! I only place enough air into my suit to take the squeeze off to avoid a large amount of air traveling to my rock boots. I have never worn ankle weights and don't recommend them. When diving, I keep a very horizontal position with my legs bent and fins up and not near each other. A wider base can help in your body positioning.

Another thing to review is if you are overweighed and diving a back inflation BC (or wing/backplate). If so and you have to add excessive air to compensate for the overweighting, the air can travel to the back of the bladder/wing and try to tip you forward.

I dive with different set-ups, one being a steel backplate and OMS wing with a steel 80 and I do struggle a bit with it trying to tip me and have looked at having a backplate weight added to the bottom of the backplate to create a better balance. I'm also playing with moving my weights further on my back as opposed to at the front of my waist where it may be contributing to pulling me forward where the tank setup is tipping me down - thus the down and forward push!

To avoid the tipping in the meantime, I just don't let my gear "dive me."

Good luck and might I add excellent gear! :D :D :D Ok....so I'm biased....:D

More info for your assistance: I was wearing a 300 wt. DUI Power Stretch fleece undergarment (figured that's what I'll be wearing in the ocean, so I might as well wear it in the pool for the trial run!) with light-weight polypro longjohns under that. Fleece booties (nothing under them - can't wear wool socks, as I'm allergic to wool).

I use a Seaquest Diva LX BC, but don't use the integrated weights - I like the DUI harness better as it's just easier for me to handle overall. I usually wear 10 pounds in the trim weight pockets up on the tank, but didn't have them on there last night (although frankly, I think that would've hurt rather than helped, since that would've put weight up near my shoulders).

As I'm a DM and my shop doesn't sell BP/wings, I'm not really in the position to buy that setup, as I really can't use it for classes. However, they *do* sell DUI back-inflate BCs...and I could get one for a very reasonable price if that would help...but I don't know that it would. (Or would it?)

As far as extra air in the drysuit, I felt like I'd gotten most of it out before I got in the water - I was pretty well "shrink wrapped" :wink:. And I added minimal air as I headed to the deep end just enough to be able to hover about 8 inches off the bottom of the pool. When I was vertical and raised my arm, the bubble came about to the middle of my forearm or just a little farther down - not quite to my elbow. I figured with that small a bubble, I wasn't overweighted... is that correct?

I used to have a similar problem when I started diving in my drysuit. I now keep my knees bent when I'm not finning, which stops too much air getting to my ankles and makes it a lot easier to keep proper trim.

More than likely it's just a learning curve with getting used to the suit. Ankle weights, while not recommended by most (see above:05: ), can be a good training tool. After a few dives you will see that they aren't necessary. My first 5-6 dives with my dry suit were horrible......Good Luck!

OK - did 4 dives this weekend DM-ing a class and felt much better - no tipping forward at all. I think part of the solution was wearing my weight harness instead of a weight belt - that put my weight much lower down on my body and closer to my hips rather than on my waist.

My new Si-Tech exhaust valve worked *beautifully* and I stayed perfectly dry :D. I can't believe how much easier it is to manage buoyancy in a drysuit than in a 7mm farmer jane!!! I'm one happy girl :D

Back
Top Bottom