Trim issues - Rolling over bp/w + heavy tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am confused, I never heard of a 15 liter Aluminum tank. 15 l tanks are usually steel. Does it have a rounded bottom inside the boot or flat? If it is rounded, then it is steel. Flat would be Aluminum.
its flat, looks like your typical 12L just slightly bigger and taller. I might be wrong about its volume, it was advertized as a 15L but could be 13 I suppose. Much heavier than AL80

I am confused, I never heard of a 15 liter Aluminum tank. 15 l tanks are usually steel. Does it have a rounded bottom inside the boot or flat? If it is rounded, then it is steel. Flat would be Aluminum.

AL100, 8" diameter, service pressure 3300 psi

That is 13.2 liters.

Yes, I was just guessing at what cylinder @andrethediver was using. I believe the AL100 is about 4 lbs less buoyant than the AL80, not much different than diving a HP100

Personally I don't like using the cambands through the STA as it makes the cylinder feel floppy to me. I run my cambands through the plate and around the cylinder pulling it against the STA and this feels much more solid. My wife at first used the slots in the STA with her steel tank and it rolled her every time she stopped moving put them through the plate and problem solved. They make a version of that wing with slots so I bet you could put them in as the area they need to be is not in the air chamber and the plate should have them already.

Yes, I was just guessing at what cylinder @andrethediver was using. I believe the AL100 is about 4 lbs less buoyant than the AL80, not much different than diving a HP100
Except for the diameter (and length, but that shouldn't matter here). It all adds up. With a doubles plate, STA, and fat tank, the center of mass of the tank is going to be quite a bit further out than it would be with a singles plate, no STA and standard diameter tank.

I don't think a lighter STA will help, it's the lever arm and tank weight that's the problem. Well maybe it will help if it lets you put a couple of pounds of lead on your front.

Maybe you can modify the wing? Or sell it and get one with tank band slots.

The weight is always going to want to hang off the positive buoyancy. In this case the weight of air. As the tank empties your trim will stabilise.

Unfortunately Eclipse wing requires STA.
Great single tank wing though. I don't suppose the wing's getting caught up and gas is blocked from migrating from one side to the other?

Scuba keel. As seen in TV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom