Trigeminal Neuralgia and Diving- Medication question- Carbamazepine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dianna912

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just diagnosed with neuralgia of the seventh cranial nerve, or Geniculate Neuralgia, a very similar neuralgia to Trigeminal neuralgia, which is much more familiar to most. My symptoms have been characterized by deep, excruciating, ice-pick like pain in my right ear, seemingly triggered by cold weather and/or altitude changes. I am extremely grateful that diving is not a trigger. (My husband's favorite hobby, skiing, is not so lucky.) One of my first thoughts upon receiving the diagnosis was: will this affect my diving? For now, my pain episodes are infrequent enough that I have a medication to take on an as-needed basis: Baclofen. If the episodes become more frequent, my neurologist will move me to Carbamazepine for maintenance. Is anyone aware of any increased decompression or narcosis risks with Carbamazepine? I would be much more at peace with this diagnosis if I knew that if I eventually need maintenance meds, it would not automatically preclude me from diving. I'm not asking for anyone to say: you will certainly be able to keep diving for life, as I realize that would be an impossible ask, but I'd love to know that progression wouldn't be an automatic disqualifier.

Thank you all.

I was just diagnosed with neuralgia of the seventh cranial nerve, or Geniculate Neuralgia, a very similar neuralgia to Trigeminal neuralgia, which is much more familiar to most. My symptoms have been characterized by deep, excruciating, ice-pick like pain in my right ear, seemingly triggered by cold weather and/or altitude changes. I am extremely grateful that diving is not a trigger. (My husband's favorite hobby, skiing, is not so lucky.) One of my first thoughts upon receiving the diagnosis was: will this affect my diving? For now, my pain episodes are infrequent enough that I have a medication to take on an as-needed basis: Baclofen. If the episodes become more frequent, my neurologist will move me to Carbamazepine for maintenance. Is anyone aware of any increased decompression or narcosis risks with Carbamazepine? I would be much more at peace with this diagnosis if I knew that if I eventually need maintenance meds, it would not automatically preclude me from diving. I'm not asking for anyone to say: you will certainly be able to keep diving for life, as I realize that would be an impossible ask, but I'd love to know that progression wouldn't be an automatic disqualifier.

Thank you all.

I'd be just as concerned about the baclofen, though in general I don't think either medication would be a blanket disqualifier from diving. More specific information and a fitness-to-dive determination would be best addressed by a diving medical professional who can examine you in person. Where in Virginia are you? If you're close enough to Durham we'd be glad to see you in the clinic.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom