Tried silent diver for Poseidon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimdebruce

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all!
I’m interested in the silent diver for Poseidon cyklon made by sweeney engineering. I want to hear from anyone that bought it and tried, how much the sound actually is reduced, anyone??
Cheers

I did a couple dives switching back and forth between cyklon with sweeney silencer and standard cyklon. The silencer changes the pitch the exhaled bubbles, a bit softer sound. But the device did not make a big difference IMO, the biggest factor has to do with exhalation technique. With or without the device, a slow & gentle exhale is not very noisy and a quick forceful exhale makes substantial noise.

I did a couple dives switching back and forth between cyklon with sweeney silencer and standard cyklon. The silencer changes the pitch the exhaled bubbles, a bit softer sound. But the device did not make a big difference IMO, the biggest factor has to do with exhalation technique. With or without the device, a slow & gentle exhale is not very noisy and a quick forceful exhale makes substantial noise.

Alright, that’s very helpful!
I’ll see if I can make a simple similar solution for my aqualung reg to get an idea myself.

But the device did not make a big difference IMO, the biggest factor has to do with exhalation technique. With or without the device, a slow & gentle exhale is not very noisy and a quick forceful exhale makes substantial noise.
All things being equal, we noticed much the same thing with Silent Diver; and even the "honking" often associated with the Jetstream second stage, while in the shallows, was also largely dependent upon tuning and "exhalation technique."

We had the version marketed for the metal-bodied Cyklon and had heard that the one intended for the plastic version may have proven more effective, for some undefined reason; but we couldn't confirm that -- and also wondered whether the thick hoods that we were wearing in 9˚C water, affected our perception of any noise reduction one way or the other . . .

During my test dives I had 1 each standard and silenced cyklon, both with metal bodies and switching back and forth every 5 or 10 minutes. I use a 5mm hood, which was off and on during the dives to eliminate the hood as a factor in how I perceived the exhalation noises.

Looking at their shop I still see silencers for the metal and plastic cyklons at $91 for international shipping, or $55 for domestic shipping.

Much appreciated guys!
Good Breathing technique and a silencer would be the best way for reducing noice then.

Back
Top Bottom