Trevor Norton, British Marine Biologist, Diver, and Author

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaweed Doc

MSDT
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
From an e-mail I received this morning:

"It is with great sadness that we announce the recent passing of the eminent marine biologist and author Dr Trevor Norton (Sheffield, 1940–Isle of Man, 2021) formerly Professor of Marine Biology at Liverpool University and Director of the Port Erin Marine Laboratory, Isle of Man (1983–2005). He was a Lecturer at Glasgow University, Scotland (1966-1976), Senior Lecturer (1977-1981), and Professor (1982). He was President of the British Phycological Society (1989–90) and of the International Phycological Society (1992–94). Capitalising on an innate ability to make a good story great, he became the well-known author of popular works such as Stars beneath the Sea: The Extraordinary Lives of the Pioneers of Diving, Century (London, England), 1999, published as Stars beneath the Sea: The Pioneers of Diving, Carroll & Graf (New York, NY), 2000; Reflections on a Summer Sea, Century (London, England), 2001; Underwater to Get out of the Rain: A Love Affair with the Sea, Century (London, England), 2005. "Smoking Ears and Screaming Teeth” (2011) is a is a celebration of early eccentrics who performed dangerous experiments upon themselves. Trevor listed his hobbies as "Writing, photography, conversation, movies, climbing trees.” but could also have included ballet. Ann Skea, writing on the Eclectica Web site, said that the author's "writing is often very funny and he describes some eccentric and funny characters, but he also writes poetically and lovingly about science.” She added: "He is exceptionally good at making such seemingly dull things as sponges and seaweeds into objects of fascination.” Trevor spent many summers at Lough Hyne (Ine) in Co. Cork, Ireland, with such marine ecological luminaries as Professors Kitching and Ebling and lovingly described in "Reflections on a Summer Sea” evocative of the early days of marine ecology when marine biologist actually spent less-than-comfortable summers getting wet and healthy. His wife, Wim (née Price), to whom we extend our sincere condolences, provided the illustrations for several of the books.

May he rest in peace."

I had to look up meaning of phycology.

I had to look up meaning of phycology.
Don't worry. At a meeting I went to in Juneau, we were welcomed on a sign in town. Sort of. It welcomed the Psychological Society of America....

I imagine you prefer a good malacologist?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom