Tres Pelicanos - August 2017 - Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver0008

New
Reaction score
I just returned from a week of diving with Tres Pelicanos on Cozumel.

The service was excellent for experienced divers looking to dive their tanks.

We went on morning 2-tank dives, afternoon 2-tank dives, and 1 night dive.

Some divers were picked up at resort piers on the way out, and others met at the dive shop at 7:40am or 1:00pm for the ride to the marina.

We dove in small groups, I think 8 divers was the most we had on the boat. We went out in the same boat each day which was fast and well equipped. I think they have two of them. There was never even the slightest hesitation on the part of the DM and captain to head to the sites further out. The DM asked us as we left port where we wanted to go, and we did. When no one had a suggestion, the DM made great choices.

The captain would help divers back on board and removed and retanked our BCD's. The ladder into the boat was sturdy and grippy, and there was a line to hold on to along the side of the boat to approach the ladder and remove fins. There was meshing on the canopy to store items dry, and nice snacks were served during intervals. The DM always did a round to check that all tank valves were open before we splashed in.

We left all our gear on the boat between dive days, and the staff returned it to the shop, rinsed it, hung it, and it was tanked and ready for us the next day.

We dove with 2 different DM's; both excellent; Jorge and Edgar. They seemed to be astute at determining the skills of their divers, and chose excellent routes through the reefs. They also had excellent knowledge of the reefs and pointed out many things we would have not seen otherwise. The pace was slow and divers were left to dive their own profiles at their leisure; exactly what we were looking for. Dives were consistently 60 to 70 minutes. There was no problem at all with some divers coming up with the DM and others continuing the dive and deploying an SMB when they were ready to exit.

All in all, service was efficient, courteous, and professional. Many of the divers we dove with were return customers; I can be counted on to be one in the future.

As far as the underwater conditions went, visibility was excellent, the reefs were healthy and there was lots of life. We saw several Black-Tip and Nurse Sharks, free swimming Morays, too many turtles to count, dozens of Lobsters and Crabs, Dolphins, big Barracudas, monster-sized Snapper, Parrot and Angelfish, groups of Permit and Horse-Eyed Jacks, several Octopus, a massive migration of hundreds of Triggerfish, and all the other usual suspects.

Cozumel is a great dive destination, year after year, and Tres Pelicanos is a solid dive op choice.

Which is why we go back with them. Last I heard the Loan Shark was in dry dock getting a step added to it to help with getting back into the boat with the Skinny Shark to be next. Glad you had a good experience.

All true. Always fun to read a review of 3P's. Great to see you started where you would have eventually ended up... and, rest assured, you're not wrong!

3Ps is fine. Fast boats. Long dive times. Skilled divemasters. No problemo.

Back
Top Bottom