Treatment after sinus squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Had my first sinus squeeze this weekend. Had some pain in the right temple while going down, but it wasn't too bad so I stupidly kept going down and the pain eased relatively quickly. But on surfacing, had the full on blood-in-the-mask thing. Glad they taught us this in my training so I didn't freak out. More of a "Oh, huh, that must be a sinus queeze" reaction.

I know that infection is a risk after this happens, since blood is a good medium for bacterial growth. Should I proactively be going to see a doctor and getting antibiotics, or is it more of a wait-and-see situation? If so, what should be my threshhold for going in to the doc? It's been about 24 hours and I have very slight residual achiness the right sinus area but it's not bad.

Thanks!

I would recommend going to the doctor if your signs and symptoms get worse. Obviously you did some damage, but damage is a relative term...a bruise is damage and so is a fracture as obvious examples. The residual achiness is most likely the result of the damage caused by pushing through the pain. If you have achiness and swelling, if you have a fever, if you have difficulty breathing, if you have funky colored discharge (other than clear mucus), if you have discoloration around the area on your face/head...these are all things to go see a doctor about.

In the absence of any of the above signs/symptoms or anything similar, you can certainly go to the doctor, especially if you enjoy paying your co-pay or any fees if you have them...you can save money and time though by getting someone to give you a reassuring hug that everything will be ok...

...until it is'nt.

-Z

oh yeah, almost forgot...definitely go to the doctor if you start seeing pink elephants, or experience an echoing voice in your head whispering "redrum".

-Z

Had my first sinus squeeze this weekend. Had some pain in the right temple while going down, but it wasn't too bad so I stupidly kept going down and the pain eased relatively quickly. But on surfacing, had the full on blood-in-the-mask thing. Glad they taught us this in my training so I didn't freak out. More of a "Oh, huh, that must be a sinus queeze" reaction.

I know that infection is a risk after this happens, since blood is a good medium for bacterial growth. Should I proactively be going to see a doctor and getting antibiotics, or is it more of a wait-and-see situation? If so, what should be my threshhold for going in to the doc? It's been about 24 hours and I have very slight residual achiness the right sinus area but it's not bad.

Thanks!

Hi @anchochile ,

Sorry this happened to you. A little residual achiness is not surprising. Most of the blood has probably drained out by now but I would keep an eye out for signs and symptoms of infection/worsening inflammation: increasing pain, drainage, fever; and seek medical attention if you see any. I would not consider prophylactic antibiotics unless you are immunocompromised or otherwise at high risk for infection. Tincture of time is the usual treatment for sinus barotrauma. It may take a few weeks for the inflammation to resolve so I'd avoid diving for the time being.

Best regards,
DDM

Sorry this happened to you. A little residual achiness is not surprising. Most of the blood has probably drained out by now but I would keep an eye out for signs and symptoms of infection/worsening inflammation: increasing pain, drainage, fever; and seek medical attention if you see any. I would not consider prophylactic antibiotics unless you are immunocompromised or otherwise at high risk for infection. Tincture of time is the usual treatment for sinus barotrauma. It may take a few weeks for the inflammation to resolve so I'd avoid diving for the time being.
DDM

Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear. I'll keep an eye on it and stay out of the water for a couple weeks (or longer if I'm still having any discomfort).

Much appreciated!

Early in my diving I had a number of those. As indicated, time will take care of it...mostly. Watch for signs of infection-funky looking drainage, pressure, pain.

You can possibly speed up the clearing process a little with saline nasal rinses. Neti pot or NeilMed are readily available in a drugstore. I use the Neilmed almost everyday, and have done so for years. I've had 2 sinus operations and they are wonderful for helping clean up post surgical debris that makes a sinus squeeze look trivial.

Back
Top Bottom