Treasure hunting at Lake Berryessa on Black Friday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter_C

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was out on the San Francisco Bay Thanksgiving and it was a beautiful day to be on the water. Headed out under the gate, on the Marin Headlands side, for about 15 minutes to visit the Pacific Ocean. The swells were big but they had a long interval so they were smooth to ride over. As always the swell was confused right under the bridge and choppy. In the afternoon the wind laid down and the tour around Alcatraz and Angel Island were smooth. Of course that is a well protected area, mean while the ocean has been ripping the kelp out of the local dive sites and depositing it far up onto the beaches.

Alcatraz
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Others were enjoying the beautiful sunny day too.
attachment.php

Angel Island
attachment.php

So with the ocean swell forecast as big as it was (Showed a 20ft combined seas for Friday) we figured that a second option for diving needed to be found. After all I had a new to me Whites Fusion drysuit to try out, and both my diving partners were anxious to get wet. At one of our last camping trips we had discussed diving at Lake Berryessa. Today the three of us headed to Lake Berryessa in Beautiful Napa County. This time of year the vineyards are in full color and gave us a picture perfect drive to the lake. With the rows of vines it looked like paint brush strokes across the land, with a rich palate of yellows and reds, on top of a soft green fill.
attachment.php

We drop the boat in and head to the known summer time party spot.
attachment.php

This is the typical party scene on the lake during major holidays. I can attest to them being fun for a short time, after the water gets to choppy from other boats to wakeboard. The pictures below were taken on a camera that Bruce found and he was able to recover the pictures from the media card.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

A few passes with the sonar show the low lake levels have left around 36 feet deep for the norm in the cove. After anchoring and gearing up we splash then head out in search of what the bottom holds. I realize almost immediately upon entering the water that my dry gloves are the most awesome thing, as I can feel the, warm for our typical diving, but chilly 56 degree water hit my finger tips as soon as they are submerged. Vis at the surface is pretty good and I can see about 15 feet down. At the bottom it is much worse. Once we figure out where the bottom is by touch, we head off in no particular direction and find it clears up some. We have between 1 foot to 8 feet of vis throughout the dive. When the vis drops to where our canister lights become dim. I grab Keith’s arm and lead him around. After viewing tons of discarded beer bottles and cans, we move the boat to a new location. There I finally see Keith pick up a pair of sunglasses. He moves forward about five feet and finds another pair. I find a pair, and then he finds two more pair, all the while we are picking up Mardi Gras type beads. We continue this for quite a while, finding a blender, VCR, live .45 ammunition, and other discarded trash. With air supplies running low we head to the surface. There we find Bruce with a nice Bruce anchor. Score!

We stowed all our gear and with smiles on our faces, headed off to find an island to eat lunch on. SOMEONE, decides to go to a small island that looked inviting from a distance. We wound up naming it Goose Poop Island. We tromped off to find our next island that has more land and less poop. As we are unpacking the cooler and cracking a nice cold beer, we notice rain drops falling between us. After a minute or so, we are all zipped up in our drysuits and continue our lunch as it begins a light rain with some thunder and lighting thrown in. The rain subsided and the ride back to the marina was on glassy water.
attachment.php

Bruce is that a rainbow in your ear?
attachment.php

Bad picture of me, but I am happy with my new drysuit :)
attachment.php

While waiting at the dock I observe a guy that could not raise his outdrive up. As he is talking with his elder father I hear him mention he is going to have to get in the water, and since I am still in my drysuit I offer to jump in. He accepts and I find the unit is completely locked up due to an electrical failure. I could not see a hydraulic release and the hydro unit was buried so I figured that there had to be a quick means to disconnect the ram. The boat could not be pulled up the ramp any further or the outdrive would have hit the ground. After a few attempts to work on the boat using breath hold, with no weight, I grabbed my scuba gear and got to work. Pulling the cotter pins allowed the pivot pins to come out and then the drive was quickly tied up with rope. While I was underwater working apparently it not only started raining hard, but hail was falling from the sky. I feel good about doing my good deed for another person today, and all I got was a handshake and a thank you. I also find it rewarding to pick up plastic from our waters as much as possible, and we brought back more than a few things to recycle.

With smiles on our faces we head home where all we have to do is set our gear out to dry with no rinse needed. Lake diving does have some benefits.

Attachments

• Zodiac.jpg
    Zodiac.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 1,023
  • Lake Berryessa.jpg
    Lake Berryessa.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 616
  • DSCI0011.JPG
    DSCI0011.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 443
  • DSCI0013.JPG
    DSCI0013.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 457
  • DSCI0012.JPG
    DSCI0012.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 953
  • Stick a rainbow in your ear.jpg
    Stick a rainbow in your ear.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 388
  • Alcatraz.jpg
    Alcatraz.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 645
  • Alcrataz buildings.jpg
    Alcrataz buildings.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 491
  • Sea Lions.jpg
    Sea Lions.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 476
  • Vineyard.jpg
    Vineyard.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 460
  • Warning sign.jpg
    Warning sign.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 499
  • Angel Island.jpg
    Angel Island.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 513
  • Light house.jpg
    Light house.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 678
  • Peter.jpg
    Peter.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 405
Nice report and photos, Peter.

I like the first of the "boaters" partying. The guy right in the middle peeing directly into the lake pretty much sums it up.

Nice report and photos, Peter.

I like the first of the "boaters" partying. The guy right in the middle peeing directly into the lake pretty much sums it up.

If you mean the guy on the swim platform of the blue Malibu that is an anchor rope from the boat behind him. Most people just jump in the water to "Check the prop".

What section of the lake is host to these parties?

Great report and pics Peter! Looks like you had a great holiday weekend. :D

Peter didn't mention that he did the boat repair during a hailstorm too bad he didn't get a beer for a thanks job well done, felt sorry for the boat owner who was only in a pair of board shorts.
Lots of gunk in with the batteries and memory card, but once rinsed off and cleaned worked fine, after about a year and a half in the water, assuming the date was correct, the time doesn't look correct. I was wondering if there is a lost camera site the pictures can be posted there are a few more pictures, nothing provocative?

Peter,

Thanks or the report and pictures. The islands are beautiful & treasure hunting in the lake invitiing.

Sounds like quite an effort would be needed to clean the trash out of the lake? Maybe a fun scubaboard project with prizes for the strangest things recovered?

Maybe it's a good idea or a loosing battle? I don't know anything about the dive situation there.

What section of the lake is host to these parties?
The area is by Putah Creek. They now put a cable in front of the bridge, probably due to all the deaths from people jumping off the rocks.
attachment.php

Peter didn't mention that he did the boat repair during a hailstorm
Yeah except I was head underwater and did not even know it was hailing. Since he had his little kids along there may not have been beer onboard.

I was wondering if there is a lost camera site the pictures can be posted there are a few more pictures, nothing provocative?
If they were not in a pontoon boat, I would have posted them on one of the wakeboard sites, but I would guess the chances of finding the owner slim due to the fact they were most likely there just to party.

Peter,

Thanks or the report and pictures. The islands are beautiful & treasure hunting in the lake inviting.

Sounds like quite an effort would be needed to clean the trash out of the lake? Maybe a fun scubaboard project with prizes for the strangest things recovered?

Maybe it's a good idea or a loosing battle? I don't know anything about the dive situation there.

I didn't get to hike much of Angel Island since I had to get to a Thanksgiving dinner with the folks. I want to go back and bike or hike more of it. I can throw my bike in the bow with no issues. Pretty cool bit of local history there.

Cleaning up Berryessa is something Zinmaker is very familiar with. He has been participating in the cleanup for years. Unfortunately the local dive shop in Napa recently closed and they were the leaders of the clean up dives. Zinemaker aka Bruce and I discussed this on the boat Friday.

I feel there is almost too much garbage underwater. I have something against plastic and picked up a bunch from the island we visited for lunch but did not do a full cleanup just a few items to convince myself I did my good deed for the day. I try to do something like that every day.

Next year we plan to return within a few days of one of the major parties and hopefully the good stuff will be more on the surface of the fine silt. One wrong hand or fin movement and everything silts out.

Attachments

• Lake Berryessa map 1.jpg
    Lake Berryessa map 1.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 574

Back
Top Bottom