Treasure By The Sea in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elinox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is a long shot, but I'm trying to cover all of my bases!

My husband and I booked a dive trip to Bonaire for October 3-10, 2020. Obviously with Covid-19, it's cancelled.

Last Monday, American Airlines cancelled our flight so we have no way to physically get to the island.

I reached out to the owner, Suzette Stapleton of Treasure By The Sea, the condo we're renting on August 4th, requesting a refund since we paid the entire amount upfront in February. According to their policy, so long as we cancel more than 30 days out, we get a full refund. The owner replied at first, saying she would look for our booking info. Then she said she broke up with her partner and it was rough. Then, two weeks ago, she stopped replying completely.

I've tried everything I can think of: I've emailed, I've called both the business number and her cell phone associated with her email, I've tried messaging her on Facebook, and have even tried reaching out to her partner via Facebook. On Friday, I even contacted the Bonaire Chamber for help and am awaiting a reply.

Does anyone have any further suggestions for how I can get into contact with Treasure By The Sea? Or what else I can try? Any help is appreciated, thank you!

I'm sorry this has happened to you. I had an horrific experience with Master Liveaboards a few months ago trying to get refunds and I ended up getting the refund only by disputing the charges to my credit card company (Visa). I'm assuming the date of August 4th was a typo (?). My advice here is based on you using a credit card for this transaction. Unfortunately, based on the behaviors you've described, they have no intention of refunding you the money. A properly run business should not be telling you of their woes and making excuses and dodging your calls and e-mails. If you paid with a credit card, you have rights. Keep proof of all your communications, written or oral, as well as printing the cancellation policy because you'll need that to support your case. You should physically print a copy of the cancellation policy, because once Treasure by the Sea gets wind of your refund request, they could change the cancellation policy on their web site, then your proof is gone.

If you paid by check or debit card, you have a lesser chance of success. It's too bad you paid up front in full; it's best to pay the minimum required at the time of booking so your risk of loss is lowered should something like this happen. My advice is to not waste any more of your time trying to contact them and pursue your refund ASAP through the credit card company. In my case, once I filed the dispute, Visa put a "conditional credit" on my account, which means if you carry a balance on your credit card, the interest you've been paying on that amount ceases until resolution of the matter. It took 2 months for my resolution.

I know you didn't ask a question about your cancelled flight, but I'll give you my two cents anyway. Hopefully. American refunded you in a debit/credit card refund and not a voucher or e-credits (unless you paid that way). By law, when an airline cancels your flight, you are entitled to a refund back to the method of payment you used.

Good luck!

You should physically print a copy of the cancellation policy, because once Treasure by the Sea gets wind of your refund request, they could change the cancellation policy on their web site, then your proof is gone.
If they beat you to it, if its a straight web page there’s a chance you could get the original policy from the Wayback Machine.
https://web.archive.org/

I'd put your verified complaint info on the Bonaire page on SB, on BonaireTalk, message susan@infobonaire.com and see if she can help, contact the Tourism Corporation of Bonaire, and send a complaint to the Bonaire Reporter. What the island does not need is bad PR, so a little local pressure might help.

Thank you for the replies and suggestions @living4experiences @Damselfish and @tursiops!

@living4experiences August 4th was when I sent the first email asking about cancelling our reservation. According to the policy, we have until September 3 (30 days before we go, which was October 3) to cancel for a full refund. So I had reached out a month before that, because I figured this was going to be difficult!

Luckily, we do have the cancellation policy via email.

We paid by credit card, but it was back in February so I am worried the credit card company won't cancel it since it was so long ago. That's on my agenda for today though, so finger's crossed!

Additionally, we're already in the process of getting a flight refund, not voucher. Thanks! :wink:

@tursiops Those are great suggestions too and are now on my to do list today! Thank you!

@elinox
Your experience is interesting and certainly represents the morals and manners of todays society.
I wish you well and success in obtaining a refund '

PLEASE keep the members of this board informed of your route to recovery abd hopefully your success in recovering your funds
Sam Miller, 111

According to their booking site, they only take a 25% deposit (fully refundable 30+ days out). Anyway, here's an image from today, stating the 30 days is refundable. I don't know if it will help

. TBS Cancellation.jpg

I've had good experience with the credit card companies in this situation. I think you will find them responsive to you.

Thank you for the replies and suggestions @living4experiences @Damselfish and @tursiops!

@living4experiences August 4th was when I sent the first email asking about cancelling our reservation. According to the policy, we have until September 3 (30 days before we go, which was October 3) to cancel for a full refund. So I had reached out a month before that, because I figured this was going to be difficult!

Luckily, we do have the cancellation policy via email.

We paid by credit card, but it was back in February so I am worried the credit card company won't cancel it since it was so long ago. That's on my agenda for today though, so finger's crossed!

Additionally, we're already in the process of getting a flight refund, not voucher. Thanks! :wink:

@tursiops Those are great suggestions too and are now on my to do list today! Thank you!
With the credit card company, I wouldn't worry about the month of your payment. I had two LOB cruises booked with Master Live-Aboards back to back for May 2020 and made the deposits in February 2019 and there was no issue with the bank honoring the refunds, which totaled more than $7000.

With the credit card company, I wouldn't worry about the month of your payment. I had two LOB cruises booked with Master Live-Aboards back to back for May 2020 and made the deposits in February 2019 and there was no issue with the bank honoring the refunds, which totaled more than $7000.

I agree. And credit card companies charge extortionate interest rates (28 percent!) in part because they cover identity theft losses and the kind of loss that you are experiencing. So don't hesitate for a moment to reach out to the credit card issuing bank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom