Tray and strobe assemblies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, a really dumb question I'm sure, I mentioned earlier that I got the Ike housing and E-900 camera. Wanting to buy a little at a time. They have the tray assemblies as accessories one is a single handle and other is a double. My question is are these ONLY for mounting a strobe or do they actually help by giving you a handle to hold while trying to steady the camera. And if so would you go for dual handle or just the single. Sorry bout all the questions, just getting excited about getting in the water with it.
Thanks

Handles are a big help with or without a strobe. Ikelite has handles that have a strobe quick detach-good feature. If you intend to ever have a second strobe, get a double handle. I have a homemade tray/handle, but I find being able to grip it from either side very helpful when jumping off the boat, and having to grab the camera from a rope tether and clip it to my BC.

DavidHickey:
Ok, a really dumb question I'm sure, I mentioned earlier that I got the Ike housing and E-900 camera. Wanting to buy a little at a time. They have the tray assemblies as accessories one is a single handle and other is a double. My question is are these ONLY for mounting a strobe or do they actually help by giving you a handle to hold while trying to steady the camera. And if so would you go for dual handle or just the single. Sorry bout all the questions, just getting excited about getting in the water with it.
Thanks

If you are only using the housing/camera then you really don't need the tray. It will be more compact w/o it.
The Ike tray/handle is designed for their strobes as they have a release assembly on the handle. The Ike handle/tray won't do you much good with an Inon strobe.
Consider making your own tray/handle if you are going to add strobe(s) and wet mount lenses.
I made my own (link) for that reason.

I first started off with an ultralight tray and liked it a lot. It didn't weigh too much and it gave me a convenient way to carry the camera. I then got an Ike one handle tray when I got my DS-125. I have since graduated to an Ike two handle tray whether I use one or two strobes. The shutter release on my C-5060 is on the right hand side. I can actually hold the camera and one strobe (mounted on the left handle) with just my right hand between the housing and handle and trip the shutter one handed. Still, the Ike trays are heavy, so I would prefer the ultralight tray if I wasn't using the Ike strobes.

David

Back
Top Bottom