Travelling / Boat Diving with Rebreathers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whats the hand signal fro you need to BO? is there one?
you = point at buddy
watch me = two fingers towards your mask
you = point at buddy
loop = shake loop one hand
switch = other hand two fingers in a v switching front to back in front of the DSV

and then we he looks at you puzzled, pass him your bail out reg and do it again.
Pretty complex signal. Are you teasing us?
I was taught to simply gesture "flip the bailout lever down" next to my own mouthpiece. Maybe with a finger jab at your buddy for emphasis. It's not a question, it's a command. You can sort out misperceptions after.

There are two people that I know of who had atypical CO2 hits
What's an atypical CO2 hit? Without starting something similar to that old fight about "undeserved" DCS, and given that I agree it might not have ended well, and not even knowing the circumstances, it seems likely that better preparation (scrubber packing, stack time, gas density, exertion?) might have prevented this.
What makes these two occurrences so out of the blue that I should reconsider solo CCR?

I was taught to simply gesture "flip the bailout lever down" next to my own mouthpiece. Maybe with a finger jab at your buddy for emphasis. It's not a question, it's a command. You can sort out misperceptions after.

I was deadly serious that how I did it. I'm interested in others approach maybe a new thread tho.

I was deadly serious that how I did it. I'm interested in others approach maybe a new thread tho.
if your telling your buddy to BO then id say its urgent - needs to be simple and direct
yes that would work , maybe add the switch signal together with yelling through the loop

What's an atypical CO2 hit? Without starting something similar to that old fight about "undeserved" DCS, and given that I agree it might not have ended well, and not even knowing the circumstances, it seems likely that better preparation (scrubber packing, stack time, gas density, exertion?) might have prevented this.
What makes these two occurrences so out of the blue that I should reconsider solo CCR?

I always imagine that if you are tuned in and attentive youd recognise it in your self but that may be faulty thinking. If your getting a breakthrough is it not incremental rather than an instant, so your thinking process is already slightly compromised ?
Ive had a small co2 hit on OC on a deep dive working in current but dont recall losing any cognitive reasoning however i was aware that i might get a hit due to the depth and current so i was looking for it in advance. Maybe there are preemptive things to look for in ccr too

Well, as @Dr Simon Mitchell has pointed out, there is a significant minority of individuals that do not show the usual hyperventilation response to hypercarbia. And there are skip breathers who have essentially trained themselves to ignore signs of hypercarbia. For those two groups at least, solo CCR might be a bad idea.
I have been fortunate enough to test myself in this regard, and have a hint of what to expect:
Overshooting NDL and mandatory deco stops

The more "solo" you dive, the more you take responsibility for your kit configuration; you religiously following build procedures and checklists; you developing excellent skills and frequently practising these during dives.

For example bubble and bail on every dive: check for bubbles on the bottom, bail out, reset. That bangs home the muscle memory and ensures that your bailouts are working correctly.

If I was diving with another diver and they noticed a "boom" situation on me that I'd not noticed, I'd expect them to point that out to me, e.g. pointing at the bubbles. It's highly unlikely that another diver would notice another diver's hypoxia, hyperoxia or hypercapnia. Certainly not until it's plainly obvious and you've passed out.

A lot of diving is knowing what sounds and feels right. If something's wrong, your subconscious screams at you to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom