Traveling with Vacuum Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got a vacuum valve for my new Nauticam housing. In the past, I have always removed my o-rings prior to travel so that my housing does not create a vacuum seal as the pressure changes between where I live, the cabin of the aircraft and then sea level at destination.

With a vacuum valve, I have the capability to equalize the pressure between the inside of the housing and the local ambient air pressure. Since I have this capability, is it still a good precaution/habit to remove the o-rings or does the capability to equalize the pressure mean I no longer have to do this?

Thanks.

I do not travel with the o-rings in place, and my NA-D810 housing has the valve as well. I keep them clean/lubed in ziplock bags - housing & ports separate - then put those bags and a lens cloth inside the housing for travel.

I don't see any value in leaving the o-rings in the housing.

I agree with James, no need to keep them compressed except in the water
Bill

I agree with James, no need to keep them compressed except in the water
Bill
Thank you. I had no intention of pumping a vacuum into the housing for travel, I was just curious if the valve could be used to equalize the pressure after flying. (Actually, I know it can be used to do that, I was wondering if people did do that or if there were any problems in doing it.)

Back
Top Bottom