Traveling with Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not a tech diver and consider myself advanced intermediate. I use nitrox exclusively due to risk factors like age and fat. From your question, you may want to look at the "best mix" calculations to get a better idea of the benefits. Whether you can get that mix seems to be a different issue. I live in the northeast where they will mix whatever you want if you are certified for it, but my recent experience in the FL Keys dive shops I visited last month was that if you could get nitrox, that "it's running about 32-33%". It seemed to be a take it or leave it marketing approach. Good luck with the training.

Been diving for many years now, and finally decided to go into the advanced specialties. Master Diver and beyond. Problem is, my local SSI dive shop doesn’t have much demand for the advanced courses, so I’m at a loss when I have random questions. I was able to get into nitrox class, but it will be hit or miss if people sign up for anything after.
If there is a PADI shop around. you can contact them because the course does not require any dive at all.

If there is a PADI shop around. you can contact them because the course does not require any dive at all.
The SSI nitrox course does not require dives either.

The SSI nitrox course does not require dives either.

Been diving for many years now, and finally decided to go into the advanced specialties. Master Diver and beyond. Problem is, my local SSI dive shop doesn’t have much demand for the advanced courses, so I’m at a loss when I have random questions. I was able to get into nitrox class, but it will be hit or miss if people sign up for anything after.

Continue your diving education with SSI Specialty Programs

OP was probably thinking along this line or over-thinking the nitrox course?

Been diving for many years now, and finally decided to go into the advanced specialties. Master Diver and beyond. Problem is, my local SSI dive shop doesn’t have much demand for the advanced courses, so I’m at a loss when I have random questions. I was able to get into nitrox class, but it will be hit or miss if people sign up for anything after. Question is nitrox related. What is the practicality of using ean32 as a travel gas down to about 100ft, switching to air for the dive, then going back to nitrox for the ascent?

as someone who works casually with a small local shop, i understand the frustration when trying to advance your skills and you cannot get a course organized. trust me, it is just as frustrating for the instructors. quite frankly i would love to do less open water diver training and do a lot more specialty training. but our small customer base, along with the lack of advertising and organization by the shop makes that vurtually impossible.

i believe i understand what your original post is referring to. you are asking about using one gas as a travel gas ((getting from surface to bottom (or close to bottom) then again from bottom to surface)) and a different gas for the bottom phase of the dive.

this is not uncommon but it is outside of the scope of this forum. as others have pointed out i am sure, this is far more advanced then the average recreational diver would ever consider.

there are many factors to consider. what is the best mix for the travel gas ? what is the best mix for the bottom gas ? are we using trimix for bottom gas ? can you plan a proper dive profile considering the gas switches etc ? do you have the proper equip to plan and execute the dive ? are trained how to safely complete the required gas switches ? etc etc

typically for deeper recreational dives (down to 130 feet) most divers will choose a gas mix that is optimal for the deepest point of the dive (obviously assuming they are diving nitrox) and will breath that gas for the entire dive. at 130 feet it is usually 28%. if they want more gas for redundancy, they will add a second, smaller tank.

since that gas is just a back up, they may choose to carry air in that tank so it will be safe in all recreational diving scenarios, whether you end up using yourself or if you need to share with someone else. but often is the same as their main tank. my only caution in doing this, is that if you were planning for a deepest depth of 100 feet on day one, and then on day two you do 130 feet, the gas in your back up tank may be too rich for the deepest part of the dive. so you may have to empty it and refill it with a leaner gas. so why not just keep it filled with air or 28% ?

Agreed. This is way above the OP’s pay grade right now. And I still don’t get how the delayed specialties play into this.

Waayyyy above my paygrade. But since I’m twiddling my thumbs waiting for classes to open up (where the delayed classes fit in. Nobody else to ask) Figured I’d research on my own. And at the moment, this strictly a “hmm I wonder” situation. But I can get whatever blend I need (up to 40 of course) at the dive shop here in NOLA. But hey if y’all recommend 28 for the deeper end of rec diving spectrum, why the hell not.

Waayyyy above my paygrade. But since I’m twiddling my thumbs waiting for classes to open up (where the delayed classes fit in. Nobody else to ask) Figured I’d research on my own. And at the moment, this strictly a “hmm I wonder” situation. But I can get whatever blend I need (up to 40 of course) at the dive shop here in NOLA. But hey if y’all recommend 28 for the deeper end of rec diving spectrum, why the hell not.

I’ve used 28% a number of times for deeper recreational diving to 130ft on the Great Lakes.

Pick yourself up these two books by Mark Powell. Deco for Divers (make sure it’s the 2015 second edition) and Technical Diving: An Introduction. Will keep you occupied for a while.

Where on the Oriskany do you want to go? That will define how deep and how technical you will need to get.

With that you are crudely describing what you will learn if you take Advanced Nitrox (and Deco procedures). That is the first level where you are taught to switch gas mixes during a dive. Your basic Nitrox class does not teach the required materials to safely do the switch.

Good that you are reading up before the class. But you are overthinking it and exceeding the level of training you will receive. The training does exist, it is just a few more classes away.

Pick yourself up these two books by Mark Powell. Deco for Divers (make sure it’s the 2015 second edition) and Technical Diving: An Introduction. Will keep you occupied for a while.

Deep Into Deco is another text i'd highly recommend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom