Traveling to Egypt with DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
F

fozzeltof

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Does anyone have previous experience with travel to Egypt with DPV? Specifically with Egypt Air?. I recently purchased the Seacraft GO and want to take it on my travel. The batteries are lithium 97Wh segments x6 and fall within the aviation guidelines for lithium batteries of under 100 Wh. The baggage restrictions on Egypt Air websight has one paragraph that concerns me slightly: ‘no personal mobility devices such as hover boards allowed, in checked or unchecked baggage’. Could a DPV be lumped in this category?

No this is my first time. Is it a bad idea?
I've travelled to Egypt over the past 30 years primarily for business but several times for pleasure.

Many things have changed over the years but the bureaucracy and baksheesh mentality is something that would certainly put me off taking something like a scooter to either Cairo or Sharm El Sheikh.

The last time I flew to Sharm two years ago I had to open my bags whilst they sifted through my gear.

On exit, my bags were opened three times and when I got home one of my battery chargers was missing.

I've travelled to Egypt over the past 30 years primarily for business but several times for pleasure.

Many things have changed over the years but the bureaucracy and baksheesh mentality is something that would certainly put me off taking something like a scooter to either Cairo or Sharm El Sheikh.

The last time I flew to Sharm two years ago I had to open my bags whilst they sifted through my gear.

On exit, my bags were opened three times and when I got home one of my battery chargers was missing.
The bureacracy is what scares me in regard to my plan to eventually open a dive centre there

Flying in to Egypt with electrical equipment that is not over apparent on its purpose will cause you grief most likely. A torpedo shaped item with batteries and wires will most likely cause a stir with the airport security s probably better off renting one there. Have travelled through Egypt (non diving related) and I know multiple people who have entered Egypt with odd looking electronics (oil and gas equipment) and we have always ensured 3-4 hours with Airport Security to explain what it is along with various documents from Companies and Government agencies to allow us to bring said items in. But will say this was a couple of years ago now, but am told nowt much has changed.

Personally, I would not chance it and just rent one locally. But that's just my personal opinion and I tend to err on the side of caution, thus missing some fun stuff, no doubt :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom