traveling to Coz first time since TSA has been around question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coz gate security is adamant about no lead weights in carry-on. Plenty of warning signs in English.

We used to see dive lights confiscated for having batteries in them, back when all dive lights got very hot if accidentally turned on. Maybe they expect dive lights to be LED now?

Nail clippers are legal nowadays and can be used to cut most cable ties.

A few years ago I was required to remove all the batteries from my dive lights in my checked luggage. Since then I have done that as a matter of course; if for no other reason it saves weight.

Never having heard of this, I did a Google search. I found an official TSA site listing the technologies they use, and this was not mentioned.

I tried all sorts of search terms, and I could not find a single case, not even the weirdest cases of conspiracy nuts, claiming that probes are used like this.

I did find this: Ex-TSA agent: We steal from travelers all the time ? RT USA

I am shocked, tell me it isn’t true, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJkUSNIBsP0

As for the TSA approved locks on checked bags, most people I know have given up on them. Typically they are simply cut off and then a ‘ty-wrap’ is put on, which requires a cutting tool to remove.

As for the TSA approved locks on checked bags, most people I know have given up on them. Typically they are simply cut off and then a ‘ty-wrap’ is put on, which requires a cutting tool to remove.

A number of years ago, my travels through Mexico took me through a couple of airports. At one of the, my luggage was screened and they closed off every opening with green zip ties to show they had checked it. When I landed at the next airport (Cozumel), I tried to go through customs and got the dreaded red light. When they started to check my bags and saw the green zip ties everywhere, they asked me if I had a cutting device to open them. They didn't have one with them. I looked at them incredulously and asked them how I could have cutting device. It took them several minutes to come up with one.

A number of years ago, my travels through Mexico took me through a couple of airports. At one of the, my luggage was screened and they closed off every opening with green zip ties to show they had checked it. When I landed at the next airport (Cozumel), I tried to go through customs and got the dreaded red light. When they started to check my bags and saw the green zip ties everywhere, they asked me if I had a cutting device to open them. They didn't have one with them. I looked at them incredulously and asked them how I could have cutting device. It took them several minutes to come up with one.

A funny story that speaks to the politeness of the Mexicans in this case. A few years ago we were flying home from La Paz, out of Cabo, and had plastic zip ties on our bags. Of course we also had no knife (we also keep a cheap one in the outside pocket of our checked bags so that we can open them when we get to our vacation destination, but no need to on the way home since we have plenty available there). But rather than cut off the ties, the agent simply took a pen and proceeded to use it to open them all, rather expertly, inspected the bags, and then closed them back up, putting the ties back on.

A funny story that speaks to the politeness of the Mexicans in this case. A few years ago we were flying home from La Paz, out of Cabo, and had plastic zip ties on our bags. Of course we also had no knife (we also keep a cheap one in the outside pocket of our checked bags so that we can open them when we get to our vacation destination, but no need to on the way home since we have plenty available there). But rather than cut off the ties, the agent simply took a pen and proceeded to use it to open them all, rather expertly, inspected the bags, and then closed them back up, putting the ties back on.
I can open some bag zippers with a pen. How do you open a tie with one?

Nail clippers will cut most ties, and it you put them on loosely - then cut them right, you can reuse them.

Back from Playa del Carmen through CUN yesterday. No checked bags, carry-on ALL equipment including computer, regs, bc, camera, case, strobe, rechargeable and lithium batteries. Nobody raised an eyebrow.

Back from Playa del Carmen through CUN yesterday. No checked bags, carry-on ALL equipment including computer, regs, bc, camera, case, strobe, rechargeable and lithium batteries. Nobody raised an eyebrow.

That's the problem, they're unpredictable. I had to leave the security screening area once and run back down to stand in line again so I could check the bag I meant to carry on.

At the CZM TSA security checkpoint, do they have special lines for frequent fliers or first class? I am wondering if I do have a problem and have to check a bag last minute do I have to stand in a long line again.

I have rarely had to wait more than a minute or two in line at the CZM airport security checkpoint.

At the CZM TSA security checkpoint, do they have special lines for frequent fliers or first class? I am wondering if I do have a problem and have to check a bag last minute do I have to stand in a long line again.
Not at security as I recall, but as Gordy said - never seen it backup. Airline check-in & luggage checking can get backed up, but Elite FFlyers and First Class have shorter lines with most airlines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom