traveling to Coz first time since TSA has been around question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For Light and Motion Sola lights that are sealed do you put in carry on or checked, and is it different on the return trip from Cozumel?
Always carry on. They're to easy to steal.

When leaving Cozumel, my husband got tools (used to fix scuba gear) confiscated by the TSA. Put tools in your checked luggage.

When leaving Cozumel, my husband got tools (used to fix scuba gear) confiscated by the TSA. Put tools in your checked luggage.

Same for me. I carry a small tool kit, and I accidentally left some of it in my carry on baggage. It included a very high quality multi-tool. When it was discovered, I knew I was screwed. The person checking it said he had no choice but to put it in the discard bin. The discard bin was a large trash bin with a garbage bag in it, the top edge wrapped around the upper corners of the bin. He took my expensive multi-tool over to it, slipped the edge of the garbage bag away from the corner of the trash bin, and dropped the tool under it so that it could be easily retrieved later.

Same for me. I carry a small tool kit, and I accidentally left some of it in my carry on baggage. It included a very high quality multi-tool. When it was discovered, I knew I was screwed. The person checking it said he had no choice but to put it in the discard bin. The discard bin was a large trash bin with a garbage bag in it, the top edge wrapped around the upper corners of the bin. He took my expensive multi-tool over to it, slipped the edge of the garbage bag away from the corner of the trash bin, and dropped the tool under it so that it could be easily retrieved later.

That would definitely suck! I've got a fancy Leatherman brand multi-tool in my save-a-dive kit, but it's in my checked baggage.

I had a multi tool taken in Roatan. I learned my lesson, I hope.

When I go to the Caribbean I don't have any issues. The TSA agents seem to know what is what because they have seen most of it. When I'm traveling between Canada and the USA I tend to get more questions about the stuff in my carry-on.

I did buy a nice set of ChannelLock pliers for installing spring straps on my JetFins (rubber straps broke). Totally forgot to not bring them home in carry-on and the TSA agent said she had to keep them. She asked why I had them and I just told her the truth. Someone has a new set of pliers but I got to fly back to Canada. :)

The TSA has lightened up somewhat on tools & scissors in carry-on (see list: Prohibited Items | Transportation Security Administration), but it's still a risk with final call up to the agent. Confiscated items are supposed to be handled by regulations and sold, but many of us suspect they like to keep things.

Security in other countries for flights to the US is contracted to be at TSA standards, but the details are up to them.

The TSA has lightened up somewhat on tools & scissors in carry-on (see list: Prohibited Items | Transportation Security Administration), but it's still a risk with final call up to the agent. Confiscated items are supposed to be handled by regulations and sold, but many of us suspect they like to keep things.

Security in other countries for flights to the US is contracted to be at TSA standards, but the details are up to them.

I lost a pair of tiny fingernail scissors that I had inadvertently left in my carry on coming back from the Philippines.

I have never had a problem in the US. Flights have all departed Denver. I stay in the secured areas if there are any plane changes so I don't have to go back through security. I think there are probably some airports that see quite a bit of scuba gear and know what it is.

As for the loss of the multi tool, it was my fault, I knew better it just got past me when I was packing to leave. They knew what it was at the airport. It was one of the cheap ones so not a huge loss, I'll bet there are hundreds of them taken in a years time. Probably not of much value so I don't believe it to be theft.

I do admit TSA in the US is a pain but for different reasons than the scrutinizing of dive gear in carry on's.

Scubadeep1 mentioned Sola lights and was advised to put them in his/her carry on. Does that include all lights? I have a DRIS1K with a smaller 220 lumen backup that I am taking to Coz in April. Should I dump the batteries and put them in my carry on as well?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom