traveling to Coz first time since TSA has been around question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASA400, Your plans for packing your dive items sounds great and as others have mentioned you most likely will not have any problems with TSA regarding your gear. However, just a heads up that there are some different rules which apply for the return trip home. When leaving Mexico departing rules and regulation are no longer "TSA" , but a Mexico Agency and therefore do not have the same exact rules. In general, the policies for dive gear are the same with the exception of weights. Should you plan on taking weights along, although my guess is most people use the weights provided by their dive op, you are able to take them into Mexico in your carry on luggage but you are not allowed to depart Mexico with weights in your carry on luggage and and therefore must be transported back home in checked luggage. I used to have to deal with this when I would carry my on soft lead weight as my dive op did not have them.

Other than dive weights there are other items as well as different rules and policy that are different from (USA) TSA. If you have not already, please do check the STICKY-Arriving/Departing the Cozumel Airport- A Guided-Tour which is located at the top of the Cozumel Forum. Just scroll to entry #1 which is the most current and updated version. I will warn you, that it is a bit lengthy, but it chocked full of info that several of our Scubaboarders have contributed. So, perhaps, set aside a little bit of time, get a cup of coffee and check it out.

Best Wishes to you for your upcoming trip and Have A Great Dive Vacation !

Double S

Sue Sue--thanks for the heads up on the sticky. I guess I missed that but will wade through it in the am. Will not be carrying weights and I already know about the differences in TSA and Mexico on the matter of batteries.

There is no need to explain your bags contents.
Not only is there no need, but it would be weird to do so and TSA does not handle weird well. Anything that requires any sort of explanation needs to be in your carry-on bag.
I like to hang around the TSA luggage screening table in my small, departing airport in case they do have questions about my bag contents. I carry my camera moisture munchers in a zip lock of Damp-Rid, and they have asked me about that. I also carry a pony bottle, valve removed, and while many TSA agents know Scuba gear - they might not be up on the rules for those? How convincing I am is subject to speculation, but I avoid looking suspicious.

In larger airports I use returning from trips, I kiss the bags goodbye and hope for the best - but dive destination agents have more experience with Scuba gear. The only thing I've noticed stolen was a bottle of sole dressing a local Marine asked me to pickup in NC.

Batteries should always be removed from dive lights and packed safely, but some would disagree.

Getting my roll-on thru the security gate generally takes time, inspection, explanation, and my own repacking.

Like others, most of my gear is packed in my dive bag and checked in. My computers and other fragile items are in my carry on bag.

Be aware that the TSA will go through your checked bag(s). If the bags are locked with other than "TSA" locks, the locks will be cut off so that the contents of the bag can be inspected. Your bags are then "insecure" for the rest of the trip. While I have never had anything go missing, it was an eye opener to find my bags with the locks missing when I arrived in Cozumel, and a note inside the bag that TSA had "removed the locks" and inspected the contents.

From the TSA website:

TSA screens every passenger's baggage before it is placed on an airplane. While our technology allows us to electronically screen bags, there are times when we need to physically inspect a piece of luggage. TSA has worked with several companies to develop locks that can be opened by security officers using universal "master" keys so that the locks may not have to be cut. These locks are available at airports and travel stores nationwide. The packaging on the locks indicates whether they can be opened by TSA.

Divegoose

As mentioned above don't pack your dive knife or any sharp items in your carry on.
You should be good to go.

For Light and Motion Sola lights that are sealed do you put in carry on or checked, and is it different on the return trip from Cozumel?

Be aware that the TSA will go through your checked bag(s). If the bags are locked with other than "TSA" locks, the locks will be cut off so that the contents of the bag can be inspected. Your bags are then "insecure" for the rest of the trip.

I tie the two zippers together with a wire twist tie. It's sufficient to keep the bag from coming accidentally unzipped in handling but TSA can easily get into it for inspection. TSA has always been really good at putting the twist tie back on. Even a lock won't deter a determined thief.

Be aware that the TSA will go through your checked bag(s).

The one problem I had with TSA going to Mexico involved something you might not expect. I was planning to do some cave diving, and I like to take food bars as between dive snacks on those trips. I packed 8 of them in a ziplock bag in my checked luggage. Apparently working for TSA can lead to great hunger. When I unpacked my bag, there were only 3 left.

the one problem i had with tsa going to mexico involved something you might not expect. I was planning to do some cave diving, and i like to take food bars as between dive snacks on those trips. I packed 8 of them in a ziplock bag in my checked luggage. Apparently working for tsa can lead to great hunger. When i unpacked my bag, there were only 3 left.

BOGUS!!! :d

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom