Traveling setup for when you can't get L/R valves... and yoke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gextyr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I currently only dive SM with my own personal cylinders, configure just how I like 'em. However, I like to travel too, and many remote dive resorts and live-aboard dive boats offer only right-hand valve AL80 cylinders. (e.g. - both the resort I stayed at in Bonaire last year and the live-aboard I was on last fall offered convertible din/yoke AL80s, but only right-hand valves...) The scope of the question is focused on open-water diving - possibly "light" deco, but no caves/hard ceilings/wreck penetration.

I'm interested to see if/how you set up your valves/bungee/regs for SM in a location where you can only get Right-hand valves, instead of L/R valves. Are there any special considerations?

I know I can just single-tank SM, but if/when I want two cylinders, I'm trying to decide how best to rig. It seems "one reg up, one reg down" would work fine, even if it looks goofy and takes some getting used to. I suppose you could also just have both R valves pointing the same direction, and shutting down the one pointing "inward" would just be a little tricky... and the inward-pointing valve might cause some discomfort, depending on where the cylinder sits in your armpit. Depending on your bungee system, it might also be trickier to kit up.

Another question - has anyone been SM diving with yoke valves? It strikes me as bulky and awful. The only reason I'm even considering the question is in the event that I want to travel really light (only one BC), and the location only offers yoke valves, but want the option of two cylinders. I'm sure it is possible, but I was hoping someone here could share their experience trying it.

do what works. If I have valved that I can snap over a nub on the opposite side of the valve, then the tanks look the same as they do at home I just have a valve on the wrong side. It's not the end of the world. If you use non-loop bungees, then it doesn't matter and I'd just do that because your regs will be the same.

If I don't have that luxury because I don't have a nub on the outside and choose to use loop bungees, then you have to have one tank up and one down to get the bungee over the valve knob on both sides. That means you have to be cognizant of your SPGs to make sure that they aren't dragging somewhere.

If you only have yoke, dive yoke, it's not the end of the world. Is it bulkier and less comfortable? yes, but if you want to dive sidemount, it's the price you may have to pay

if it is a lengthier trip with the same dive op, you could bring your own valves and ask them to swap them in for you. solves the yoke issue and the L+R at the same time.

Personally, I just run it with one valve up and the other valve down. One of my cylinder pressure gauges dangles a little bit but it's not that big of a deal. For typical recreational type stuff it works out alright.

As far as yoke valves go I bring a set of yoke adapters. I never had an issue using them but I also use ring bungees.

Had some friends using loop bungees dive sidemount with yoke adapters.

It can be done but they said it was annoying due to the increased height.

RE: the yokes. I am planning on diving Bonaire in 2 weeks sidemounting only. I have replaced my DIN with yokes on my regulators and also replaced the securing knob with a Allen key screw. This eliminates all the bulk of the yoke knob and feels just like a DIN underwater (about 10-15 dives in this configuration). It does mean you have to carry an Allen wrench... Yeah, I know there a lot of hoses off the 1st stage - I'm single SMing in a drysuit with buddies.

A-clamp sm.JPG

....and also replaced the securing knob with a Allen key ... screw
That looks nice!
Since you already did the work,
What particular SS Hex-key-screw did you use? Sourced where?
How does the end on it look like? (regular screw end or pointy, or?)

My source is BoltDepot.com and very reasonably priced. The one in the picture is a #5741 - Socket button head, Stainless steel 18-8, 1/2"-20 x 1" $2.63 bolt. It came with a flat end that I ground down to a point. That step isn't needed. I have also made one with a slot that a US Quarter will fit. This was made by hacksawing off the hex head of a 1/2-20 x 1" (item #3815 @ $0.95 each) and hacksawing a slot across the cut edge, followed by smoothing the rough cut edges with a hand file. I like this one the best. I wanted to buy set screws, but they don't come in the right size.

Big CAUTION: Yokes take 3 different retaining screws: 3/8-24, 1/2-20, and 9/16- I don't recall. I was able to source screws for the 3/8-24 and the 1/2-20. I could not find the 9/16 in the right thread pitch. 3/8" goes to the very old 2250 psi rated yokes. 1/2-20 goes to the older higher PSI yokes. These can be found, but not commonly. The most common yoke is the 9/16". You can make one for the common 9/16" by sawing off the knob of the retaining bolt and putting in the slot like I did.

I found enough (3) of the 1/2-20 yokes, so went that way.

I have replaced my DIN with yokes on my regulators and also replaced the securing knob with a Allen key screw.

Wow, I like that a lot!!! I might have to throw together a few yoke adapters with custom screws just to keep in my travel bag. I don't have yokes for my primary diverite regs... it will still be a little bit more bulk to use the adapters, but waayyyy better without the knobs!

RE: the yokes. I am planning on diving Bonaire in 2 weeks sidemounting only. I have replaced my DIN with yokes on my regulators and also replaced the securing knob with a Allen key screw. This eliminates all the bulk of the yoke knob and feels just like a DIN underwater (about 10-15 dives in this configuration). It does mean you have to carry an Allen wrench... Yeah, I know there a lot of hoses off the 1st stage - I'm single SMing in a drysuit with buddies.

View attachment 419606
can you post more pictures of this setup or PM the pics? I'm sidemounting with yoke right now until I get the $ to replace everything with DIN and I've had a hell of a time trying to get everything to stay neat and also sit comfortably

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom