Travel with SEI card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glen99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am going to be traveling to Playa Del Carmen in June. I have a SEI OW and AWO card, are divers having any trouble with the SEI card being recognized out of the US?

thanks

glen

The only card you need to worry about declining in Playa ia your Mastercard. You should be all set with what you have. Be sure to do some cavern diving while there!

There has not been an issue with recognition of SEI cards anywhere. There is a certain training agency or maybe a few agencies that likes/like to spread rumors about other agencies cards not being recognized. When I ran the diving program at Florida State University I had numerous students that had been told by dive shop staff and even their own relatives that the YMCA scuba certification was not recognized internationally when in fact it was one of the most respected cards. Same with SEI, they know where we came from and who we are.

Thanks guys, I can't wait to dive in something other than a quarry!!!

glen

In some resorts I had people look sideways at my IANTD cave diver card. One fellow asked me if it was equivalent to PADI AOW!!!

After some explaining and a look at a clip I posted on Youtube, I got the go ahead.

You can print a page from their web site where they describe the curiculum

I am actually getting my CMAS Card Ordered Next week, I finally qualify for the 2 star CMAS Card, just in case I have issues while I Belize. The Dive shop that I have hooked up with assured me their would be no issue with my SEI Advanced Open Water Card, however, always have a back up plan in place.. mine is my CMAS Card

Glen,

I agree with the above posts. No problem with your card.

If you get a chance, try the cenotes. I recommend Dos Ojos. Shallow and beautiful

And yes, the viz will be very different from our Ohio quarries! Shockingly so. Will take you a few minutes to adjust to it!

Have fun.

Dave.

I am going to be traveling to Playa Del Carmen in June. I have a SEI OW and AWO card, are divers having any trouble with the SEI card being recognized out of the US?

As long as you have money and don't look like you're about to kill yourself, most resort locations will take any card you can come up with. I'm pretty sure I could whip out my library card and go diving as long as I also had the money.

Don't worry about it.

flots.

Some people have told me the same about my ACUC OW card, that some dive shops may not recognize it. Total BS.

Back
Top Bottom