Question Travel Tool Kit Items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelGas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am not looking to make a save a dive kit.

But instead a few basic tools like open end wrenches and Allen Keys and the like in the most commonly used sizes. A small light weight tool kit for flying to attend Tech’ training and diving to adjust and maintain your equipment without having to ask the boat to borrow tools.

What "surgery" do you think you really will be able to accomplish? Change a hose or o-ring? Wrench, pick, and o-rings.

Second stage: at best you would adjust for a seat breaking in, so maybe something to adjust the orifice or balance chamber depending on the regulator, though without knowing what you are doing, that could be dangerous (@rsingler included a really good explanation of how to kill someone doing that in his recent class).

First stage: You aren't going to do a rebuild on a boat (or likely even on a trip), so at best an IP adjustment (if the regulator has externally adjustable capability). The thing is, why did it do that in the first place? Again, port plug o-rings, DIN o-ring, etc. Same tools as above. IP gauge is a tool to decide if you should dive that tregulator....

Attend Tech training? You need the proper (and likely substantial) tools.....

As @tbone1004 usually suggests, a spare reg set (or rent) is likely your best bet on a trip....

I'd suggest more preventative actions, and follow something like the "regulator checklist" that @couv (and others) have put together and is here on the board. Your gear should show signs of heading to needing attention if you pay attention to it rather than waiting for it to go...

YMMV

One trick for open wrenches is cutting them in half and leaving the box behind (or the different size open wrench depending on what style your start with). You often only need one end and it cuts down on weight and size. Also gets them under TSA's 7 inch rule for hand tools.

If you're traveling for tech training, it's probably safe to assume that basic tools will be available on site. Spare batteries or parts specific to your gear might be worth taking along. The only gear failure I've ever had was an inflator on a BC, so I carry a generic spare from Dive Gear Express these days.

I bring a narrow jaw crescent wrench, allen keys for port plugs and second stage adjustments, small diagonal clippers, tie wraps, silicone grease, small multi blade screwdriver, o-rings, IP gauge, and a small brass pick.

Also gets them under TSA's 7 inch rule for hand tools.

I did not know there was a 7” size limit for tools. That only applies to tools in a carry on bag not a checked bag ?

allen keys for port plugs and second stage adjustments
NOTE: it depends on your reg whether you can adjust it with a hex key.

This, its metric counterpart, and a couple of adjustable wrenchs covers most travel needs.

DGX Compact Scuba Multi-tool

I use the Knipex Mini Pliers Wrench and its slightly larger brother. I like these are more solid than standard adjustable wrenches and because these will fit between a transmitter and a first stage. I get the slightly bigger one as the second because it is enough to remove the DIN valve plugs that I use.

I have a lot more things in my kit, but those are the things I use the most.

I did not know there was a 7” size limit for tools. That only applies to tools in a carry on bag not a checked bag ?
You can pack almost anything in checked bags but carry-on has limits.

You can pack almost anything in checked bags but carry-on has limits.

If you are coming back from Mexico, they will even take something as small as an allen wrench from your carry on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom