Travel Savvy Brain Trusts, any Ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
August 25th is the big day when JB comes home.

I want to meet him at the gate. To do this, I must get through security. The only thing I can think of, is to buy a refundable ticket somewhere. Does anyone know if once you go through the gate, you can still refund the ticket? I know I can call...but I like to know the answers before I ask the questions sometimes.

My other idea is to get a buddy pass from a pilot or a flight attendant that I know and then give it back to them unused. Any other ideas?

I recently got through, (with my dog!) to get my son, an unaccompanied minor flying home from NYC. There has to be a way...

Catherine, I have corresponded with several folks over at FlyerTalk that have done the fully-refundable thing to meet clients. They do it to have a quick business meeting, contract signing, what have you, at a WorldClub (airline club) as the client passes through. A caution they passed on is to make darn sure the ticket departure is way past your meeting time, so you can canx the ticket such that there is no question it's prior to departure.

I have cancelled several full-fare C class tickets with NW in the last year. Yes, you do get everything back, but it took about 6 weeks each time.

Not sure what airline JB will be on, but there is a WorldClub in HNL. You can get a short-term membership for about 45$ (one-day membership) or $85(60-day membership); depending on the airport, you may be able to get a "pass" from the ticket counter that allows you to get past security to access the club (and thus to the gate). Ask at the NW ticket counter now if they do this at HNL. I have done this in LAX, although these rules are constantly changing at the whim of the TSA. If you do follow this route, hang out at the President's Club (Continental) which is a stone's throw away and an order of magnitude nicer, as they code-share with NW and allow WorldClubs members entry.

The last: buddy passes. A parachuting teammate of mine is a retired Delta pilot, and he and his wife routinely "see off" or greets their college age kids at ATL. They just book themselves on a flight at the same rough time, and just don't make it. So I'd imagine that for the buddy pass, you'd have to actually make a reservation, thus burning the buddy pass.

Hope this helps! Very cool what you want to do.

All the best, James

Since you are a photographer, perhaps you could talk to someone to gain temporary access on the premise of doing a PR photo shoot for some community event or newspaper article.

BTW, tell him we are proud of him and all who served with him.

Sgt Zimmerly
0331 USMC

Thanks James, brilliant.

Dave...good idea too. You guys gave me some angles to work.

well...that did not take long. You go to the Continental Counter and they call the president's club and issue a pass...then you proceed to the president's club where you then purchase the day pass for 45 dollars. World club is more expensive...but 85 /year could come in handy. Funny thing, my 13 year old is a member of the President's club it seems...maybe his grandparents put him on it because he flies alone from Newark to here, as a minor? Maybe I can take him and be his "guest".

Really, thanks for the scoop James. This is a very handy thing to know. The 85 dollar a year pass would probably make sending children off much simpler.

The Platinium American Express does not include these lounges does it? I don't have one but it has looked tempting for some of the perks. They are doing some sort of free baggage shipping consierge's now, I think. You could at least send your bags home from a destination I would think.

Back
Top Bottom