Travel Medical Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

janieb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi - I always have DAN insurance for dive/watersport related emergencies - I am looking for suggestions for travel medical insurance (coverage for things like heart attack, falling and breaking a bone....). when I look at DANs coverage, it appears they cover accidents of non-water nature, but not illness....In the past, my home medical insurance would have covered things like that for international travel, but no more. And I'm of the age now where I'm not willing to take a chance of not having illness coverage :)

Does anyone have any experience with Dive Assure (or any other travel medical companies...) I've seen some previous postings related to what is really needed in terms of insurance. What I'm interested in is 1. Dive accident/emergency insurance and 2) Illness/med emergency insurance - non dive related.. Don't care about trip insurance. Thanks for any info...

I have had good experiences with Trawick International. I have not had to file a claim with them, but they provide international health policies for trips, etc. My policies have been underwritten through them by Nationwide, which is of course a reputable company. I even had them write policy for a trip to Turks and Caicos where we had to provide proof of special COVID coverage for a Visa there. They even provided the VISA letter addressed to immigration. Awesome company to work with. Rate for me and my wife for $500k in COVID hospitalization coverage, regular healthcare against illness, accidents, and emergency evac ($25k) was about $90 for the week....which covered both of us.

I travel abroad a lot especially in third world remote areas. I have Cigna Global Cigna Europe | International Health Insurance Plans and can hands down say it is the best medical insurance you can have for international travel. I have used in in several different countries and they are amazing. Previously I had Blue Cross Blue Shield Global but was not very happy with them. They do not cover anywhere near the same amount of stuff Cigna Global does.

They will always make sure you are treated at a hospital with North American/EU/Australian health standards and doctors. For example currently I am in Indonesia and I get full no out of pocket cost for any medical reason I need to visit a Western standard hospital here, and also get full evacuation coverage.

I travel abroad a lot especially in third world remote areas. I have Cigna Global Cigna Europe | International Health Insurance Plans and can hands down say it is the best medical insurance you can have for international travel. I have used in in several different countries and they are amazing. Previously I had Blue Cross Blue Shield Global but was not very happy with them. They do not cover anywhere near the same amount of stuff Cigna Global does.

They will always make sure you are treated at a hospital with North American/EU/Australian health standards and doctors. For example currently I am in Indonesia and I get full no out of pocket cost for any medical reason I need to visit a Western standard hospital here, and also get full evacuation coverage.

Is this a health insurance for a US resident when travels outside the US only or is a general health insurance that covers you while in the US as well as when traveling outside the US?

I have bought GeoBlue travel medical policies to cover me on trips outside the US. I haven't needed to make a claim, so I can't comment on that. I'll have to compare coverage with the Cigna Global that @marsh9077 mentioned.

Is this a health insurance for a US resident when travels outside the US only or is a general health insurance that covers you while in the US as well as when traveling outside the US?
I can answer that as I'm familiar with it. It's for outside the US insurance only. You can add a US covered policy, but the cost goes up quite a bit. Many expats and people in the sailing community hold these policies from Cigna and I haven't heard anything but good things about Cigna. You can buy a short term or long term policy.

If you check the TCI-Assured website they include a list of travel insurance companies that meet the requirements for entry-approval to the Turks and Caicos Islands. That’s probably a good start for trip and medical insurance for a diver. Trawick International is one of the companies listed, but we also have DAN insurance. The travel insurance is for trip delays and cancellations and illness during travel, including covid

I looked at their prices. about $1000 to $1500 PER MONTH, depending on options.
I'll stick with DAN.

I looked at their prices. about $1000 to $1500 PER MONTH, depending on options.
I'll stick with DAN.
You usually do it for a trip. It was around $60 to $80 per person for a 2 week trip depending on options. I don’t consider it as a replacement for DAN. It’s trip insurance for cancellations, delays, and medical care if you get sick, including quarantine and evacuation. Some countries are requiring trip insurance that specifies Covid-coverage to enter the country.

You usually do it for a trip. It was around $60 to $80 per person for a 2 week trip depending on options. I don’t consider it as a replacement for DAN. It’s trip insurance for cancellations, delays, and medical care if you get sick, including quarantine and evacuation. Some countries are requiring trip insurance that specifies Covid-coverage to enter the country.
When I say DAN in this context I mean DAN Travel Ins, which doesn't cost that much per YEAR

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom